Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • voclain
    • Aug 2002

Upgrading and upgrading....

So...I'm on 3.6.4...and I want to upgrade to the latest and greatest.

But NOT ONLY THAT....I want to have PHP and MySQL upgraded also to the versions that are reccomended.

HOWEVER...to do that....my host tells me that my server that I'm on now is old and to have the reccomended PHP & MySQL versions....I will need to UPGRADE my server.....

That means that I'm going to have to migrate my existing data to that new server.

GET IT????

So...here is my question.

What should be my order of events?

Should I migrate 3.6.4 into the new server that is running the reccomended PHP and MySQL for the latest VB version?

OR

Should I upgraded to the latest VB version then migrate over to that new server?

Ultimatelly....I'm looking for the best SEQUENCE of events that will probably cause me the least amount of problems.

Currently I'm running:

Apache v2.0.50
    PHP 4.3.8
    MySQL 4.0.23-standard

Let me know your thoughts....and as always....thanks for your continued support...you have a customer for life!

Yours,

Kirk
  • Jerz
    • Apr 2007
    • 3.8.x

Migrating is the hard part. Upgrading vB is easy. What order you do those shouldn't (usually) have any impact on problems. I would recommend migrating first and then upgrading vB, for really no reason at all, but you might as well get the hard part over with first.

Comment

• voclain
      • Aug 2002

Originally posted by CHIPIT
      Migrating is the hard part. Upgrading vB is easy. What order you do those shouldn't (usually) have any impact on problems. I would recommend migrating first and then upgrading vB, for really no reason at all, but you might as well get the hard part over with first.
      Thanks...that's what I needed to know....I guess I was asking the question to find out if 3.6.4 had any problems with the newer reccomended PHP and MySQL....because the newer server will have those on it...if I do the migration first.

Your thoughts???

Kirk

Comment

• R1lover
        • Apr 2006
        • 3.8.x

Prepare the new server first, then move the site to the new server as it is...... ensure everything is working as needed then proceed to upgrade to the latest version.
        www.yamaha-forum.net | www.exactservers.com | www.ducati-superbikes.com | www.suzuki-forums.net | www.diavel-forum.com

Comment

• Jerz
          • Apr 2007
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by voclain
          Thanks...that's what I needed to know....I guess I was asking the question to find out if 3.6.4 had any problems with the newer reccomended PHP and MySQL....because the newer server will have those on it...if I do the migration first.

Your thoughts???

Kirk
          vB 3.6.4 should run fine on PHP 5.2.10 and MySQL 5.0.83. Just backup your database a few times and ensure the backups are working, just in case.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...