PHPBB to VB 3.8 - Duplicate "Import" User(s)?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OS,
    • Aug 2005
    • 3.6.x

PHPBB to VB 3.8 - Duplicate "Import" User(s)?

Hi i believe i have successfully converted a PHPBB3 board to a vb 3.8. There is however one issue im facing.

There are duplicate users with a pre prefix "Import" placed before their names, theres not only one but many duplicate users. How can i resolve this?

I have successfully done this on a test board just to insure i got it right before i emabark on the real thing, so if need be i can do this again with your suggestions.

Cheers
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

That happens when you already had members with the same name on your forum and they had different email addresses.

I take it this was not an import to a fresh install then?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• OS,
      • Aug 2005
      • 3.6.x

Hi Steve it was a fresh install on a new VB.

I highly doubt those users had the same name with different email addresses... as when i come to view their profile they have this "imported_hisusername" twice and sometimes upto five times with 0 posts and with the same username.

I thought there might of been a glitch.. but everything seemed to go nicely every time i re did the impex import.. its just the "imported_" before usernames that is bothering me...

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

If it was a fresh install with no existing users then the only other way that could happen is if you ran the import twice. At this point the only practical way to resolve this is to reinstall vB fresh and redo the import.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• OS,
          • Aug 2005
          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Steve Machol
          If it was a fresh install with no existing users then the only other way that could happen is if you ran the import twice. At this point the only practical way to resolve this is to reinstall vB fresh and redo the import.

I see, i did that once.. however i realised my mistake and then executed a fresh install via impex.. im guessing thats not fresh fresh.. so i have to reinstall the vb database again and then do the import..?

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

Yes, you will need to reinstall vB to clear out the existing data.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• OS,
              • Aug 2005
              • 3.6.x

unfortunately i still get "imported" before a lot of usernames...

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

Same thing aplies. The only way you would get that is if you already had users in vBwith those same name. There is no other way that could happen.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• OS,
                  • Aug 2005
                  • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                  Same thing aplies. The only way you would get that is if you already had users in vBwith those same name. There is no other way that could happen.
                  I have 3 licenses and am installing my third.

I can provide you access if you wish or maybe create a ticket to show you that i have some users with "imported" before their usernames on a blank vbulletin fresh install.

Comment

• Lovre
                    • Jun 2009
                    • 3.8.x

I had very the same problem. Import was done from phpbb to empty vb db, vanilla install. Tried 3 times (every time using newly created VB database) and every time with the same results.

It took me 3 hours to delete all "Imorted_username" users from ACP

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      • Jul 2000

Again this really is not possible. Those user had to have been in the database already. If you think otherwise you are free to start a support ticket or even post it as a suspected bug in Impex.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• OS,
                        • Aug 2005
                        • 3.6.x

The thing is, on the real database ive checked the users and theres only one of them. Once imported onto a new vb installation it becomes duplicated.. one with its original name and the others with "imported_" before them. However there are others which are untouched.

I was wondering, is there a merge sql query that i could execute in order to merge all those users with the same email address? Insuring their final name set does not have the "imported_" prefix.

Cheers

P.S: will also open a ticket.

Comment

• Lovre
                          • Jun 2009
                          • 3.8.x

Any updates regarding the issue?

Comment

• piersg
                            • Sep 2009
                            • 3.8.x

Same here...

As the others experienced, I am importing from PHPBB3 into a brand-new install of VB in the vbtest directory. I had no users in the database before the import, apart from Administrator. The import step imported all the users from PHPBB (1200) but created a hundred or so imported_username entries, where the original IDs were between 1001 and 1113.

To reiterate - this was a clean install, no users had been created before the import.

The new duplicate users had a different UserID, salt and password hash but everything else was the same - email address, timestamps etc.

Then the import system got stuck in some sort of loop. I managed to click "Database cleanup & restart" so all the entries are gone in the DB, but as soon as I try to go back to "Import" I get back to the import users page, updating every second:
                            Code:
                            Import user 1000 :: 2000
                            ImpEx build version : 1.93
                            Database cleanup & restart ||| Online manual
                            Using includes/config.php for target config.
                            Importing 306 Users

20.00% 1001 User -> (user1001_username)
                            20.00% 1002 User -> (user1002_username)
                            ...and so on until
                            20.00% 1363 User -> (user1363_username)
                            I then tried to log in using a different browser but I cannot now access the Admin Control Panel because I get a login box, complete the username and password, the screen shows
                            Code:
                            "Redirecting...  
                            Thank you for logging in, administrator.
                            Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you."
                            for a second or two then takes me to the login box again.

Not currently feeling that VB was £100 well spent... hmmm. Will nuke install and DBs and try again later.

Comment

• eroy
                              • Sep 2009
                              • 3.8.x

I bought VB today, installed and ran impex today....everything is fresh...and I have the the imported_ prefix as well...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...