• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • apeman350
    • Jan 2009
    • 3.8.x

Running the vBulletin Install Script

This is the point I am currently at :

I renamed my forums directory from "forums" to "FORUMDIRECTORY" and followed the instructions below :

The Installer runs as a PHP script using your web browser. To start the installation process, open your browser and type the HTTP address of your forums directory, followed by /install/install.php, then hit the <Enter> key or press the [Go] button to open the script.

To my knowledge the http address to my forum directory is as follows :

http://www.EXAMPLE.com/forumdirector...ll/install.php

When I input this into my browser I get the following NOTICE/ERROR :

OOPS ------------ Page not Found

The page you tried to access does not exist on this server. This page may not exist due to the following reasons:
    1. <LI style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif">You are the owner of this web site and you have not uploaded (or incorrectly uploaded) your web site. For information on uploading your web site using FTP client software or web design software, click here for FTP Upload Information.
      <LI style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif">The URL that you have entered in your browser is incorrect. Please re-enter the URL and try again.
    2. The Link that you clicked on incorrectly points to this page. Please contact the owner of this web site to inform them of this situation.

Im at the technical level where Im not sure what the heck im doing.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
    "Lift the self by the self
    Never let the self droop down.
    Because the self is the self's only enemy
    The self is the self's only friend"
    Bhagavad-Gita
  • slappy
    • Apr 2003

Your URL probably is "case sensitive" the way you wrote it. You have "FORUMDIRECTORY", in all caps, and you are attempting to connect to "forumdirectory." Don't know if this is the issue, but I'd change the directory listing to "forumdirectory".

I could not access my own forum if I placed "forum" in all caps in the URL!!

Regards,
    Slappy

Comment

• apeman350
      • Jan 2009
      • 3.8.x

You were correct but now Im geting this message :

Warning: include(/home/content/d/h/g/dhgateadmin/html/ForumDirectory/includes/config.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/content/d/h/g/dhgateadmin/html/ForumDirectory/includes/class_core.php on line 2544

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/home/content/d/h/g/dhgateadmin/html/ForumDirectory/includes/config.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php') in /home/content/d/h/g/dhgateadmin/html/ForumDirectory/includes/class_core.php on line 2544

Configuration: includes/config.php does not exist. Please fill out the data in config.php.new and rename it to config.php

Im going to assume that I screwed up the config IN the beigining ?
      Bhagavad-Gita

Comment

• apeman350
        • Jan 2009
        • 3.8.x

Hey i fixed it

for now...

I changed the config.php.new

Thanks Slappy
        Bhagavad-Gita

Comment

• apeman350
          • Jan 2009
          • 3.8.x

im really not doing good

more issues on install :

Step 2) Connect to the database
          Attempting to attach to database
          Error description: mysqli_real_connect() [function.mysqli-real-connect]: (HY000/2002): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) /home/content/d/h/g/dhgateadmin/html/ForumDirectory/includes/class_core.php on line 1138
          The database has failed to connect because you do not have permission to connect to the server. Please confirm the values entered in the 'includes/config.php' file.
          Bhagavad-Gita

Comment

• glennybee
            • Feb 2008
            • 3.7.x

Looks like the database name and username are incorrect.

Remember the database name should be prefixed with your host account username.

For example, if I have an account on hostgator called davidp and I named my database myforum, it would be...

Code:
            [COLOR=#000000][COLOR=#007700]    [/COLOR][COLOR=#FF8000]//    ****** DATABASE NAME ****** 
                //    This is the name of the database where your vBulletin will be located. 
                //    This must be created by your webhost. 
            [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000BB]$config[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700][[/COLOR][COLOR=#DD0000]'Database'[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]][[/COLOR][COLOR=#DD0000]'dbname'[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]] = [/COLOR][COLOR=#DD0000]'davidp_myforum'[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]; [/COLOR][/COLOR]
            Same with the username, it should be prefixed with your account name.

Code:
            [COLOR=#000000][COLOR=#007700]   [/COLOR][COLOR=#FF8000]//    ****** MASTER DATABASE USERNAME & PASSWORD ****** 
                //    This is the username and password you use to access MySQL. 
                //    These must be obtained through your webhost. 
            [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000BB]$config[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700][[/COLOR][COLOR=#DD0000]'MasterServer'[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]][[/COLOR][COLOR=#DD0000]'username'[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]] = [/COLOR][COLOR=#DD0000]'davidp_user1'[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]; 
            [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000BB]$config[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700][[/COLOR][COLOR=#DD0000]'MasterServer'[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]][[/COLOR][COLOR=#DD0000]'password'[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]] = [/COLOR][COLOR=#DD0000]'password123'[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]; [/COLOR][/COLOR]

Comment

• yuckphooey
              • Jan 2009

I've also hit a roadblock with the installation.

I've combed over my config.php file a hundred times, checked and double checked to make sure the fields in the manual were changed correctly...

And I still get the ERROR 404 - PAGE NOT FOUND or Address Not Found.

I've read a dozen of these threads to see if I've had the same problem and I've come up empty handed. I'd really appreciate any help anyone can offer!

Comment

• glennybee
                • Feb 2008
                • 3.7.x

Does the user of the database have full privilages?

Did you add the user to the database after creating the database?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  Former Customer Support Manager
                  • Jul 2000

That error almost always means you are not using the right URL for the location of your install.php script.
                  Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• apeman350
                    • Jan 2009
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by glennybee
                    Looks like the database name and username are incorrect.

Remember the database name should be prefixed with your host account username.

For example, if I have an account on hostgator called davidp and I named my database myforum, it would be...

Code:
                    [COLOR=#000000][COLOR=#ff8000]//    ****** DATABASE NAME ****** [/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=#ff8000]   //    This is the name of the database where your vBulletin will be located. [/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=#ff8000]   //    This must be created by your webhost. [/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=#0000bb]$config[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700][[/COLOR][COLOR=#dd0000]'Database'[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]][[/COLOR][COLOR=#dd0000]'dbname'[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]] = [/COLOR][COLOR=#dd0000]'davidp_myforum'[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]; [/COLOR][/COLOR]
                    Same with the username, it should be prefixed with your account name.

Code:
                    [COLOR=#000000][COLOR=#ff8000]//    ****** MASTER DATABASE USERNAME & PASSWORD ****** [/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=#ff8000]   //    This is the username and password you use to access MySQL. [/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=#ff8000]   //    These must be obtained through your webhost. [/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=#0000bb]$config[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700][[/COLOR][COLOR=#dd0000]'MasterServer'[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]][[/COLOR][COLOR=#dd0000]'username'[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]] = [/COLOR][COLOR=#dd0000]'davidp_user1'[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]; [/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=#0000bb]$config[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700][[/COLOR][COLOR=#dd0000]'MasterServer'[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]][[/COLOR][COLOR=#dd0000]'password'[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]] = [/COLOR][COLOR=#dd0000]'password123'[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]; [/COLOR][/COLOR]

THANKS for the help but Im having issues with identifying names :

I have a hosting account with godaddy.

when you refer to account name, are you refering to the domain name or the customer login name i have for my hosting account ?

Im also thinking I would gladly pay someone to install this ?
                    Bhagavad-Gita

Comment

• glennybee
                      • Feb 2008
                      • 3.7.x

It's the hosting account name that you sign into your control panel with.

Comment

• yuckphooey
                        • Jan 2009

For my URL, I'm entering the IP address supplied by the host followed by /forums/install/install.php

"forums" is what I renamed the "upload" folder to in the www section.

Am I overlooking something obvious or is there something not clearly stated in the manual that I'm missing?

Comment

• glennybee
                          • Feb 2008
                          • 3.7.x

The ip address points to your account, you need to use the domain that you registered.

Comment

• apeman350
                            • Jan 2009
                            • 3.8.x

Still have the same error on STEP 2

thanks ooops
                            Last edited by apeman350; Wed 21 Jan '09, 8:11am.
                            Bhagavad-Gita

Comment

• slappy
                              • Apr 2003

I hope this is not your "real" information from your "real" config.php file, otherwise you have created a very "real" security risk for your setup, if you finally get it running properly.

Regards,
                              Slappy

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...