Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bill
    • Jun 2000

File attachment oddness

On vB Cloud I am trying to stage a few Article pages. I am saving the pages as Drafts until they are ready to be opened. I have found the process on the Cloud to be extremely time consuming and frustrating due to quirks in the way that vB handles Attached Files.

After uploading PDF or image files like PNG for example, the tiles are originally listed in the Attached Files list as
    Code:
    original-file-name.pdf
    or
    Code:
    original-file-name.png
    , but after saving the Draft, sometimes the files are re-named
    Code:
    image_1234.pdf
    or
    Code:
    image_1234.png
    . This makes figuring out which file is which extremely difficult. It also sometimes breaks links to those files in the Page. Sometimes the links to the files will survive an edit, sometimes they become broken. It is really frustrating and time consuming to have to essentiall re-do all of the links or file Inserts on a page every time I make an update.

Is there any way to retain the original file name of attachments?

I am considering setting up an external server to host files and then just link to them. However, then I lose vB's tracking of downloads.I also lose some of the security of having vB control access permissions.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

I cannot recreate this issue. How often does it occur?
    • What are the exact steps you take in creating the content and saving the draft?
    • What are your "Advanced Options" set to for the article?
    • Does the issue occur when you set "Publish Now" to no?
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• bill
      • Jun 2000

I upload the files from my PC, not from a URL. I will then Insert the files into the Page from the Attached Files section at the bottom of the edit window. At that time the links appear correct. The file names are unchanged. Then upon subsequent edits, again saving as Draft, some of the files will be renamed image_####.ext

Links to files, although they appear to be correct will often result in an error:
      Invalid Page URL. If this is an error and the page should exist, please contact the system administrator and tell them how you got this message.
      Unfortunately the only way to determine if a link to an Attached File is not working is to click each one. This happens to both renamed files and files that have retained their original name.

Also, after multiple edits, sometimes files that are linked in the Page will disappear from the Attached Files list. This happens a lot with images.

In my Advanced Options for these pages I normally have BBCode rendering, but this happens if I use HTML in the source as well.
      • Enable Comments = No
      • Public Preview = No
      • Display Title = Yes
      • Display Author= Yes
      • Display Published Date= Yes
      • Display Pageviews= Yes
      • Display Comment Count = No
      It appears that multiple edits and saving as Draft is when this occurs. I have not done the same work on Published pages.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        • Aug 2000

Can you try inserting the images using the "Insert Image" tool in the toolbar? The image will be inserted at the cursor when you use this and you can still upload images from your local machine.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-03-01_9-45-38.png
Views:	277
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	4409769

I will work to recreate the issue with your steps and see if I can write a bug report on it.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• In Omnibus
          • Apr 2010

I might be thinking of something else but doesn't every image uploaded as an attachment and saved as a filedata extension get renamed?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            Wayne Luke commented
            Editing a comment
            Technically yes. If you're storing on the file system. The file would be renamed %attachid%.attach

But the original name should be retained for the user. It is placed in the title attribute of any img tag and the file would be renamed to the original name when downloaded.

• bill
            bill commented
            Editing a comment
            This isn't just happening to images. It's also PDF and ZIP archives. I'm also uploading 10+ files at a time to the page.

• Wayne Luke
            Wayne Luke commented
            Editing a comment
            There really isn't much functional difference between an image, PDF, or ZIP archive as far as the code is concerned.
        • bill
          • Jun 2000

I tried removing all of the Image, PDF and ZIP files from the article page. As suggested, I then used the toolbar to try to insert about 25 files into the page via the WYSIWYG.
          Instead of saving the page as a Draft, I did a normal save.

The result was worse.

None of the images are visible. The file names of the images show up. All of the links from the file names to the image files are broken, and lead to a page with no formatting showing only "Invalid File Specified"

I have been removing and inserting files with the same names multiple times. I wonder if this has any impact.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            • Aug 2000

What are the links to the articles exhibiting this behavior?

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• bill
              bill commented
              Editing a comment
              Wayne, I have sent you a direct message about these pages. They are in a site that is not publicly available without an account, and they are saved as Drafts.
          • bill
            • Jun 2000

<delete>
            Last edited by bill; Mon 18 Mar '19, 5:59pm. Reason: delete

Comment

• bill
              • Jun 2000

Wayne helped me fix some issues with thumbnails not displaying properly. That seems to have helped with the problem of actual image files becoming 'corrupt' (The files are not renaming themselves to image_1234.jpg ). I can now place these images into the page using the WYSIWYG toolbar, and they seem to be retaining their original file names, and the links to the files remain intact.

The other issue I was having was with non-image files, like PDF, ZIP archives, which I need to attach to these pages.
              I have found that if I simply attach these sorts of files they are fine as long as I do not try to Insert them from the Attached Files at the bottom of the page.
              The problem arises if I do Insert the files and save the page. After saving the page, the links to these attached files generated by vB break, and the files listed in the Attached Files section are renamed to something like
              Code:
              image_1234.pdf
              The links generated by vB to non-image files are in this format:
              Code:
              https://example.com/filedata/fetch?id=12345
              When inserting the files via the WYSIWYG the links are in this format:
              Code:
              https://example.com/core/filedata/fetch?id=12345&d=1553067968
              These links lead to Invalid Page URL errors.

My kludge to work around this is to make plain text into hyperlinks to the files. If I do this, then the files are not renamed to image_1234.pdf format. Also, the hyperlinks lead to the files.

After many attempts I find this behavior reproducible. Although I have a somewhat usable work-around that I can use, my users who maintain these pages are going to be a bit confused when attempting to maintain these pages.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                • Aug 2000

The issue is caused by two issues..
                1. PDF Files are not meant to be inserted inline. They would be listed at the bottom of the content in the attached file area.
                2. You're trying to insert PDF Thumbnails that are generated by the system.

I've turned off PDF Thumbnail Generation for your system. This should prevent the issue with NEW content. It will not fix old attachments or content.

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• bill
                  • Jun 2000

I understand about PDF and other non-image files not being meant to be placed inline. It took me a bit to understand the issue in regards to the vB WYSIWYG.
                  I am not trying to place thumbnails of these types of files into the page. Rather I am trying to place a link in the body of the page to the file for download by the visitor.

I get it now, but it is going to take some explanation by me to the maintainers of the pages that this is how the vB WYSIWYG works. It's not really intuitive in the vB when creating "pages/articles" as the operation seems to work as expected initially: Images are included as thumbnails, and other files simply become filenames. This works as might be expected (after your tweaks to my system)
                  The problem does however resurface upon subsequent editing of a page.

I made a new Test page, Uploaded several PDFs, Inserted links from the upload attachments area at the bottom of the page, and Saved the page as a Draft. The grey attached files box did not show at the bottom of the resulting page. However, the links to the files in the page worked.
                  Code:
                  https://example.com/filedata/fetch?id=12345
                  That was fine.
                  Then I edited the page and saved it as a Draft again. Now the links to the files in the body of the page are broken, but the attached files show at the bottom of the page. The links to Inserted files in the body of the page get transformed to
                  Code:
                  https://example.com/core/filedata/fetch?id=12345&d=1553067968
                  and break.

So, it appears that your switching off PDF thumbnail generation does initially work. But the page can't be edited if we want to keep those links working.

If vB did not rewrite and break these links after edits I don't think there would be an issue any longer. Your tweaks to the thumbnail generation of images fixed things for images. Your subsequent tweaks to the thumbnail generation for PDFs does seem to initially work.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    • Aug 2000

You'll have to submit a bug report with exact steps to recreate in a list order starting from pressing the New Article button to causing the error. Then we can have the developers look at the issue.

Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• bill
                      • Jun 2000

My first bug report. I tried to make it as simple as possible https://tracker.vbulletin.com/vbulle...sues/VBV-19259

Comment