Excited about moving to the Cloud

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayne Luke
    commented on 's reply
    like why is it public and why is it not secure?
    It is a personal site. The site is powered by a database-less system and output is standard HTML, CSS, and Javascript. The only server requests are HTML looking for a new page.

• Turn13
    replied
    What I found was useful to me. It will be better I'm sure later. Thanks for your explanation, Mark.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    commented on 's reply
    Firstly it's a work in progress at this stage, secondly it has no current need to be over https since it doesn't require login or any submission of data.

• LockedOnLaw
    commented on 's reply
    Well, that certainly presents some questions, like why is it public and why is it not secure?

• Turn13
    replied
    Thanks.

By the way, I figured out the permissions for the .png, so the logo is uploaded

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    commented on 's reply
    It's Wayne's site where he is writing a new manual. It's a work in progress.

• LockedOnLaw
    commented on 's reply
    If by "legitimate" you mean an official vBulletin URL the answer is "No." That's some hack site that's probably loaded with malware.

• Turn13
    replied
    Is this a legitimate manual link?

If so, somehow I missed it until a google search turned it up

One of the links is not working for me- " See Create a Database Backup for more information."

Trying to determine why our logo won't upload using Site Builder:Click image for larger version  Name:	TFlogo19rs3.png Views:	1 Size:	14.2 KB ID:	4410189 and why the smilies aren't working on trackforum.org

Thinking a second migration will help, but it's a busy time on the existing forum trackforum.com , so we will try to minimize downtime by doing it correctly.
    Last edited by Turn13; Wed 6 Mar '19, 4:24pm.

Leave a comment:

• Turn13
    replied
    I continue to be impressed with the software and the support. We've got a limited set of a couple dozen users testing the layouts and functionality, so we can open it up to the full membership soon. Our ads are working, and we are figuring out the rest Thanks again to Wayne and anyone else who is helping us behind the scenes.

Leave a comment:

• JChaz
    replied
    Probably following you onto the cloud very soon. Our forum isn't quite so old at around 10yrs, but some very valuable historical data on it that we would not want to lose. I'm likewise not up to speed with the technical side of things but have kept it going somehow without help other than this support forum. I'm just in the process of testing out vB5 and hopefully will get the live site onto vB5 before the move, probably next month. Hope the move goes well for you - update here on the experience if you can. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Flash04jv
    replied
    Moving to VB Cloud was the best thing we did, likely saved our forum. We lost out tech guy, without him we had no idea what to do, one of our guys found out about VB Cloud and we signed up right away. None of us have the technical knowledge to keep a server running or to perform the necessary updates and back ups. We are getting better at it, but we owe it all to VB and the people on this VB forum for helping us out.

Leave a comment:

• Turn13
    started a topic Excited about moving to the Cloud

Excited about moving to the Cloud

Our forum is 19 years old, with 14,000 members and over 4 million posts. We've been on vBulletin almost from the start. In that time our membership has celebrated marriages and started new families, as well as grieved the loss of a few friends and parents. We have had differences of opinion great and small, but generally come through them all as better for it.

We have also been through a few generations of servers and installs, as well as administrators and tech support. In recent years, I've had to do a lot of that work myself, and I wasn't trained for it. I have fretted over security and bandwidth and updates, scared all the while I might lose or corrupt our database or disrupt the forum's community with an errant stroke. In that respect, vBulletin Cloud is bound to be a blessing.

I know I have confused both the sales and tech staff with my mistakes and misunderstandings, but I am hoping I've caused no permanent damage to those relationships. The spring is usually our busiest season, and I am looking forward to providing our members with a better, safer, more enriching online community for the next twenty years.

Thanks to Wayne and Joshua and all the rest of the team. I do appreciate all your efforts.