X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carrfixr
    • May 2017
    • 5.5.x

unread search module issue

So this has been an ongoing problem for my site. We have an unread topics link with this in the search module

{"unread_only":"1","exclude_type":"vBForum_PrivateMessage"}

It brings up unread replys and comments together. The problem is as one reads each unread reply or comment, upon returning back to the unread page some will disappear that have not been looked at. This mostly happens with comments more than replys. Is there a better code that I can use in the search module than the one that is listed above? Would it be better to have two search modules one for replys and one for comments? Please help this has been a real pia since I started this forum over a year ago.

We are set to ""data base automatic forum marking""

This is erratic but happens more times than not to every single user. I'm getting constant complaints about it

Thanks
    Last edited by Carrfixr; Mon 23 Jul '18, 6:47am.
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

This I think is a bit of an issue, in that where there's an unread post and an unread comment to that post, you can't read one without the other. I'm not aware of any way round it, unless anyone knows differently.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Carrfixr
      • May 2017
      • 5.5.x

Thanks Mark for picking this issue up here.

I understand what your saying that if the post and comment is from the same thread it will disappear. My issue is this happens with totally unrelated threads. We can be going through unread replys and comments and totally unrelated threads to those will vanish

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Carrfixr
        Thanks Mark for picking this issue up here.

I understand what your saying that if the post and comment is from the same thread it will disappear. My issue is this happens with totally unrelated threads. We can be going through unread replys and comments and totally unrelated threads to those will vanish
        If the comments are in different threads that that should be considered a bug.

Does the same thing happen on the 'New Topics' link?
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------

Comment

• Carrfixr
          • May 2017
          • 5.5.x

Mark
          I'm not sure we only use this unread Json string that I posted above. Is there another code I can use or option? options?

Comment

• Mark.B
            vBulletin Support
            • Feb 2004
            • 6.0.X

Mark
            I'm not sure we only use this unread Json string that I posted above. Is there another code I can use or option? options?
            I would have a look at the string used on 'New Topics' on this site and see if it works any better.
            MARK.B
            vBulletin Support
            ------------

Comment

• Carrfixr
              Carrfixr commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you so much
              Like I mentioned it is intermittent but mostly there. I would even consider having a separate reply and comment unread on the same page if that would help. Whenever I try to make a search module it never works.
          • Carrfixr
            • May 2017
            • 5.5.x

Wayne did look into it once but could not duplicate it. It is real

Comment

• Mark.B
              vBulletin Support
              • Feb 2004
              • 6.0.X

I would log it as a bug. The developers can then try to replicate also. Especially as yours is a Cloud site so they can play with a clone of the actual database if needed.
              MARK.B
              vBulletin Support
              ------------

Comment

• Carrfixr
                • May 2017
                • 5.5.x

Originally posted by Mark.B
                I would log it as a bug. The developers can then try to replicate also. Especially as yours is a Cloud site so they can play with a clone of the actual database if needed.
                Ok I will do that but in the meantime could you suggest a possible work around.

Comment

• Carrfixr
                  • May 2017
                  • 5.5.x

Link to the Tracker

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                    • Aug 2000

So this has been an ongoing problem for my site. We have an unread topics link with this in the search module

{"unread_only":"1","exclude_type":"vBForum_PrivateMessage"}

It brings up unread replys and comments together. The problem is as one reads each unread reply or comment, upon returning back to the unread page some will disappear that have not been looked at. This mostly happens with comments more than replys. Is there a better code that I can use in the search module than the one that is listed above? Would it be better to have two search modules one for replys and one for comments? Please help this has been a real pia since I started this forum over a year ago.

We are set to ""data base automatic forum marking""

This is erratic but happens more times than not to every single user. I'm getting constant complaints about it

Thanks
                    vBulletin doesn't track whether you read a Reply or Comment. It tracks whether you read a Topic. If you load a Topic with multiple new Replies, they will all be marked as read. Same as with Comments.

So this topic could list 10 replies in your JSON. By loading it, I have read all 10 and they will be removed from the list the next time I load it.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Carrfixr
                      • May 2017
                      • 5.5.x

Thanks Wayne, I do realize if there are 5 comments and 5 reply’s to the same thread in the unread that just reopening one will delete them all from the search module upon returning. This is not the issue I am having trouble with.
                      Last edited by Carrfixr; Tue 24 Jul '18, 3:39am.

Comment

• Carrfixr
                        • May 2017
                        • 5.5.x

Attached are two screenshots. One shows what was left in the unread.. I clicked the bottom reply and read it. Went back and the top two comments were gone. It happens mostly to comments , but not solely. As you see all three are totally unrelated threads.
                        This issue is real and very frustrating, causing comments to be missed on the board. I am asking for a resolution to this. A new search JSON code, bug fix something. PLEASE HELP!!
                        Last edited by Carrfixr; Thu 26 Jul '18, 3:33am.

Comment

• Carrfixr
                          • May 2017
                          • 5.5.x

OK drove to work since the last post. And it did it again. SEE the pics description!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Carrfixr
                            • May 2017
                            • 5.5.x

I just read the "radiator re-core" REPLY went back and the COMMENT "red steering" wheel was gone..

This is a blatant issue that nobody has been able to confirm.. I have had past threads on this as well..

It is happening just about every time for the past year and a half since startup.

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...g-new-comments
                            Last edited by Carrfixr; Thu 26 Jul '18, 6:14am.

Comment