X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mrs.T
    • Nov 2007
    • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Wayne Luke

I've created a bug report on the issue to allow at least one alternative subdomain. I would prefer two but we'll see what the Cloud team says.
    Any news on this and is there a link to the bug report so we can vote? I've searched but can't find it.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

There is no news at this time. Bugs reported on the Cloud System itself are not public. They often contain information that could compromise security.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Mrs.T
        • Nov 2007
        • 6.0.X

There is no news at this time. Bugs reported on the Cloud System itself are not public. They often contain information that could compromise security.
        Hi Wayne Luke Happy New Year!

Just wondered if there was any news? 6 months on and no updates, we would love to be able to add www. to our options.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          • Aug 2000

The status is the same. If you want to use www.XXXX.domain.com, you should do this with a redirect at the DNS level or through your external site if you have one.

Wayne Luke
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Mrs.T
            • Nov 2007
            • 6.0.X

The status is the same. If you want to use www.XXXX.domain.com, you should do this with a redirect at the DNS level or through your external site if you have one.
            But that's what MrBillFSE tried (read earlier post) and it doesn't work. Or can you give directions please?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

You would have to have a redirect from www.forum.XXXX.com to forum.XXXX.com before it even reaches the vBulletin Cloud servers. You cannot redirect www.forum.XXXX.com to YYYYYY.vbulletin.net.

In reality, it is poor practice to do this and users should learn to use the proper domain. Having multiple domains to content ruins search engine optimization and lowers your results in search engine rankings.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• MrBillFSE
                • Jun 2018
                • 5.3.x

Hi Mrs.T ,

vBulleting Cloud system does not support having the domain directed with AND without the www. I highly doubt it ever will. When I tried to get it to work, I tried everything I could come up with from a DNS level all the way down to the site level without any luck. You are stuck with one or the other but not both.

I do take exception though to the comment on duplicate content because most sites have in there DNS a redirect of the www.domain.com. In fact Google asks you to provide them both in their webmaster tools and designate which one you would prefer their search engine to use. The problem with duplicates comes in when you redirect completely different domain names.

Bill.. .. .

Comment

• Carrfixr
                  Carrfixr commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Mrs T for the explanation. Now I understand the situation

• Mrs.T
                  Mrs.T commented
                  Editing a comment
                  but MrBillFSE has tried to redirect his Wayne Luke and he can't.

It seems like we are going around in circles. In previous posts in this thread you said that it used to be possible to have two CNAMES but it had changed and you were going to try to get it changed back.

Now it sounds like we must redirect ourselves from the servers - but we can't.

Catch22.

• Wayne Luke
                  Wayne Luke commented
                  Editing a comment
                  A CNAME and a basic Redirect are two different things. They won't support multiple CNAMES to the same Cloud account. This is why you have to do a redirect through other means. You would have to redirect to your CNAME, which then comes to your cloud account. All before you request a single page through vBulletin.net and with your Cloud's CNAME in the address bar / referrer.

Not circular. Just additional layers. Though it comes with its own pitfalls.