X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carrfixr
    • May 2017
    • 5.5.x

Help with setting

What setting is this to prevent it from showing up on the registered users post?
  • Mrs.T
    • Nov 2007
    • 6.0.X

In the user group manager for that user group there is a section "moderator permissions" check that you haven't got 'can delete posts' set to yes. All ours are set to no.

Comment

• Carrfixr
      • May 2017
      • 5.5.x

Thanks for the reply Mrs.T
      Those are all set to no. I also looked in channel permissions and they are set to no also

This is allowing the registered user to delete there own posts even though the edit / delete time has expired. The edit button is gone as it should be and I looked everywhere before starting this thread. I gotta be missing something
      Last edited by Carrfixr; Fri 22 Jun '18, 3:52am.

Comment

• Mrs.T
        • Nov 2007
        • 6.0.X

I've just logged into our forum as a registered member and don't see what yours see, so it must be a permission on your site, not a problem with vB or Cloud etc. Like you say there are so many different places to set permissions, it gets confusing.

So, next I was going to see what our channel permissions were using the "Channel permissions manager" but it doesn't work!

I went to Channel management > View permissions and then selected a channel/forum from the drop down and also 'registered users' from the usergroup drop down.

When I clicked on "Find" at the bottom all it says is "Can view channels No"

I've tried it on various ones including ones they can see and ones they can't and it always says the same.

Does yours work?

Comment

• Carrfixr
          • May 2017
          • 5.5.x

Mine says the same thing NO

Thanks for researching this some to help me. I don't get it.
          I looked at all the areas, usergroup permissions and channel management

This permission is only showing up on the registered users own posts.

Comment

• Mrs.T
            • Nov 2007
            • 6.0.X

Glad to help if I can but only other thing I can think of now is do you have any secondary user groups which might be over riding it?

Comment

• Mrs.T
              • Nov 2007
              • 6.0.X

Also, is it on every channel or just some? Maybe worth checking the channel permissions are inherited correctly - where they show either black, orange or red depending on inheritance.

Comment

• Carrfixr
                • May 2017
                • 5.5.x

That is a good thought to check all the channels

It's the same way in all the channels ..

I also just found out if I start a new thread it gives the registered user the wheel also, and allows to delete topics. I have all that turned off

I'll be calling in for support today and reporting back

Comment

• Mrs.T
                  • Nov 2007
                  • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Carrfixr
                  That is a good thought to check all the channels

It's the same way in all the channels ..

I also just found out if I start a new thread it gives the registered user the wheel also, and allows to delete topics. I have all that turned off

I'll be calling in for support today and reporting back
                  Good luck. I'd be interested to know the outcome, I don't make new usergroups anymore as I'm too worried permissions will be wrong

When I get time I'll do a tracker for the check permission thing that's not working.

Comment

• Carrfixr
                    Carrfixr commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Mrs.T
                    I take it that you don’t allow post deletion within an allotted time

• Mrs.T
                    Mrs.T commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No we don't we only allow edit for up to 30 minutes.

For deletion we ask that they flag the post and give a reason for deletion. Just so we know what's being removed.

• Carrfixr
                    Carrfixr commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks
                    I'm going to have to do something like this now. We allowed deletion up until the edit timed out, but now this feature has changed and lets unlimited deletion.
                    Again thanks for your help
                • Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                  • Aug 2000

I logged into your forum and looked at things. In the AdminCP, go to Usergroups -> Channel Permissions. Under the Forums Channel, the Registered Usergroup has custom permissions as the entry is shown in Red. When editing this usergroup, I can see they have the permission "Can Delete Own Posts" set to Yes. If you set this to No, does the problem continue?

Each entry in "Red" for the Registered Usergroup on this Channel Permission page would have to be edited.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Carrfixr
                    • May 2017
                    • 5.5.x

Wayne thanks for looking
                    Last edited by Carrfixr; Fri 22 Jun '18, 10:03am.

Comment

• Carrfixr
                      • May 2017
                      • 5.5.x

Wayne so if I go into the other channels and set the "can delete own posts" to no It is going away so that solved part of this. Now I could have sworn that the user could soft delete their posts when using the edit button which is timed set. When that times out they can"t edit or delete after that. But I do not remember this drop down up top happening at the same time and staying on even after the edit time has expired. I would like my users to be able to delete up until the edit time has expired. I'm pretty sure it was this way before. Now with this set to off the users cannot delete at all
                      Last edited by Carrfixr; Fri 22 Jun '18, 9:29am.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                        • Aug 2000

The drop down should be there if they can delete their own posts. If it wasn't previously, that was a bug.

Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Carrfixr
                          • May 2017
                          • 5.5.x

AHHH ok I thought that was different. Well this is one bug they should have left be. IMO it was better before. Now I have the users set to cannot delete......

Why can they delete the topic if that was set to no? The wheel next to the pencil comes up if the user was a thread starter. This may be another bug allowing topic deletion

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                            • Aug 2000

A topic is a post. Seems like a crossing of issues. You can write up an issue and I can try to have it looked at.

Wayne Luke
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment