X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JGRnava
    • Jun 2018
    • 5.3.x

Saved page as new name - problems

I wanted to use a page as a template for making another page. I saved it with a new name and I did not overwrite. That changed the name of the original page to the one I saved, and also created a new page. But the two pages are the same one - the saved one is apparently just created a link with another name to the original page.

The page I was copying was the first Forum page. I wanted to make a sub page under a new tab to be another forum type with all new content and links. I guess I can't do that. But now I have this other page - two entries - in the list of pages. I don't want to delete the second page for fear of losing the first one. Is this a bug or is it supposed to work like that?
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

Do you have a link to both these pages?
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• JGRnava
      • Jun 2018
      • 5.3.x

Originally posted by Mark.B
      Do you have a link to both these pages?
      Now no. I deleted the 2nd one. But when I had both, the went to the same place and from there everything proceeded from there.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

If you do not create a unique template, any changes to the template will affect all pages that use it. This comes in handy if you want to add a sidebar on all forum pages.

If you want to copy a page, you can choose its template on the Template tab of the New Page tool in Site Builder. When saving, save it as a new template with a identifiable name. However, the page you're trying to copy is a system page with some system modules on it. This can cause problems when you copy it. Each forum channel already has its own "sub-page" created when it is. You would probably be better served as editing the page for the forum in question, saving it as a new template, and then modifying the page with the modules you want to add or substract.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• JGRnava
          • Jun 2018
          • 5.3.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          If you do not create a unique template, any changes to the template will affect all pages that use it. This comes in handy if you want to add a sidebar on all forum pages.

If you want to copy a page, you can choose its template on the Template tab of the New Page tool in Site Builder. When saving, save it as a new template with a identifiable name. However, the page you're trying to copy is a system page with some system modules on it. This can cause problems when you copy it. Each forum channel already has its own "sub-page" created when it is. You would probably be better served as editing the page for the forum in question, saving it as a new template, and then modifying the page with the modules you want to add or substract.
          I am posting the images from the Page Manger.

On Custom Pages view, you see a page Columns(/Columns) - I presume that is at the root.
          On All Pages view (2), you see another Columns(/Columns) and Forums(/Columns) and NAVA Forum(/forums)
          All four pages in the two view above are identical in operation and are the first page after signin which I presume is the system page.

On All Pages view (1), you see (/forum) and (/forum/main-forum) along with some pages I made some time back and not clickable. Some I am using and others not.

It seems to be working ok, but what the Page Manager shows appears strange to me.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

The Page Manager lists pages by PageName (route). The /columns is a route and that is how vBulletin would find the Columns page.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment