Bizarre, system designated me as "SpecialUsers" and won't let me change user group.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JGRnava
    • Jun 2018
    • 5.3.x

Bizarre, system designated me as "SpecialUsers" and won't let me change user group.

I am brining up a new cloud forum and was well along when it apparently became corrupt. One strange thing is the designation of my own ID with: "
    is protected from being altered in the config.php file by the $config['Specia1Users']['undeletableusers'] variable". I was just trying to change the usergroup for testing purposes and it would not let me. I had done it before.

Any ideas about what this means?
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

This is by design. You should not remove the Administrator permissions for your main Admin. You will be locked out of your cloud site. You should create a new user for testing purposes.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• JGRnava
      • Jun 2018
      • 5.3.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      This is by design. You should not remove the Administrator permissions for your main Admin. You will be locked out of your cloud site. You should create a new user for testing purposes.
      I have two Admins now. Is that a problem with the system? One is my name, James Robertson, and the other is just Administrator which I generally use. I don't know which one is the "main Admin." James was the earlier one. The original admin when I started the site was my email address and I deleted after adding Admin rights to James. Then after creating the Administrator user with admin rights, I set James to back to Moderator. The incident where I got the message was when tried to change James back to Admin a second time.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        • Aug 2000

The administrator with the lower userid will be marked as the account administrator. This user shouldn't be altered. This is a cloud requirement and can work differently on a the download version.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• JGRnava
          • Jun 2018
          • 5.3.x

The administrator with the lower userid will be marked as the account administrator. This user shouldn't be altered. This is a cloud requirement and can work differently on a the download version.
          By "lower userid" do you mean the first one set up or some other measure?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            • Aug 2000

Each user is assigned a userid in the order that they are created. These userids are numerical and start at 1 and go to 16 million and something.

On this site, my userid is 868. Your userid is 496288.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• JGRnava
              • Jun 2018
              • 5.3.x

Each user is assigned a userid in the order that they are created. These userids are numerical and start at 1 and go to 16 million and something.

On this site, my userid is 868. Your userid is 496288.
              That explains a lot. I found the list on this site and I am #2 but the one called Administrator is #9. #1 is missing. When I log in with my name, I have more capability. I see there is an administrator ibadmin0 with ID 7 on there too. This numbering and seniority aspect did not jump out at me and I read the manual - at least some. Thanks for the help.

Comment

• montana rover
                • Oct 2016
                • 5.3.x

So Wayne you are saying that on my forum I'm #2 and my new admin is #204 and this person cannot have the exact permissions as me cause I'm #2 ? Is that correct?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by montana rover
                  So Wayne you are saying that on my forum I'm #2 and my new admin is #204 and this person cannot have the exact permissions as me cause I'm #2 ? Is that correct?
                  I never said anything of the sort. On a Cloud system, we designate a single Administrator as the owner of the account. This Administrator is protected as is the support user called IBAdmin. You can control the permissions of other Administrators just like you have always been able to do.

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• montana rover
                    • Oct 2016
                    • 5.3.x

That's fine I understand. The issue I'm having is even though I give another administrator the same permissions, that person still can't do some things that I'm able to do. So, my understanding is the 2nd administrator will never be able to some things regardless. And that is by design and protection.

Comment

• Mark.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      • Feb 2004
                      • 6.0.X

Originally posted by montana rover
                      That's fine I understand. The issue I'm having is even though I give another administrator the same permissions, that person still can't do some things that I'm able to do. So, my understanding is the 2nd administrator will never be able to some things regardless. And that is by design and protection.
                      Which permissions is the second admin missing?
                      You need to go to AdminCP > Usergroups > Administrator Permissions, and edit the permissions for the user in question, making sure everything is set to yes.
                      MARK.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      ------------
                      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...