Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sm4uma
    • Feb 2018

Contact us option for unlogged in people

I have restrictive permissions set up so that no part of the board is visible without being logged in. However, I want the "contact us" button in the bottom right to work for people who are not logged in. Currently, if an unlogged in user clicks that button, the resulting page says "Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page." I have tested various permission options, but I cannot find what setting I need to change to ensure that an unlogged in user can access the contact form.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

They need access to the Home channel on your site.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• sm4uma
      • Feb 2018

Do you think you could be more specific? There are many permission settings and I do not know the magic one. I want to be able to shield everything except the contact us form from an unlogged in user. Is this possible?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        • Aug 2000

Can View Channel and Can View Content on the Home Channel. This channel should really be left with the default permissions that we install the software with in order to obtain the best user experience.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• sm4uma
          • Feb 2018

Setting "Can View Channels" and "Can View Topic Content" to "yes" does not change anything. The contact us form is still disallowed. All other settings are set to "no." I do not recall what the default settings were. I click "reset" next to the save button but it does nothing.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            • Aug 2000

Clicking reset next to the save button works just like every reset button on HTML forms. It resets the form to the state it was when you loaded the web page. Usergroups -> Channel Permissions, there should be a revert button. However, if you changed the defaults under Usergroups -> Usergroup Manager, then these take effect and there is no way to restore them to the permissions when the software was installed.

Recommended permissions:
            Usergroups -> Usergroup Manager -> Unregistered / Not Logged In should have Can View Channel and Can View Content. The permissions under Usergroups -> Channel Permissions should inherit these unless you made changes on these screens.
            To deny access to the Forums, edit the Forum channel under Usergroups -> Channel Permissions and set "Can View Channels" and "Can View Content" to no. You don't need to change anything else.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• sm4uma
              • Feb 2018

Nope, Usergroups -> Usergroup Manager -> Unregistered / Not Logged In -> Edit Usergroup, changing "Can View Channels" and "Can View Topic Content" to "yes" does not fix the issue.

Same thing with going to Channel Management -> Channel Permissions - > Unregistered / Not Logged In (under Home) and changing those settings there.

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                vBulletin Support
                • Aug 2002
                • 5.7.X

Have you edited the permissions in the Special channel also? If so, reset these to default along with the above and try again.
                Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
                - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• sm4uma
                  • Feb 2018

No, that does not work either and there is no way I can see to revert to default settings. The previous advice that there is a revert button under Usergroups -> Channel Permissions is also incorrect.

Anyway, I have given up on this so you can too.

Comment

• Mark.B
                    vBulletin Support
                    • Feb 2004
                    • 6.0.X

It's actually labelled 'Reset' under channel permissions. There's a reset link at the top of the permissions for each channel.
                    MARK.B
                    vBulletin Support
                    ------------
                    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• sm4uma
                      • Feb 2018

There is no such button at the top of the permissions for each channel. The "reset" button is at the bottom next to the "save" button but as I explained previously already, it does nothing.

Comment

• Joshua Gonzales
                        • Apr 2015
                        • 5.5.x

I believe the RESET button Mark is referring to is the one on the Channel Permissions page. I've uploaded a screenshot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Reset Channel Perm.png
Views:	95
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	4390239
                        -- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
                        -- Ads available for the modules globally
                        -- Global modules
                        -- Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)

Comment

• sm4uma
                          • Feb 2018

Okay, the screenshot clears things up. Thanks.

Comment