Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing deceased user?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Removing deceased user?

    We had an email from a family member that a user has deceased, asked us to take them off our mailing list. Must have received an email or notification from our forum.

    What do we do to make sure they won't receive anymore emails? We don't want to remove their account or create a usergroup for them. Can we just remove their email from their user profile? Is that good enough to stop all emails to them?

  • #2
    Originally posted by Flash04jv View Post
    We had an email from a family member that a user has deceased, asked us to take them off our mailing list. Must have received an email or notification from our forum.

    What do we do to make sure they won't receive anymore emails? We don't want to remove their account or create a usergroup for them. Can we just remove their email from their user profile? Is that good enough to stop all emails to them?
    That is going to be the most straightforward way, yes.
    MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

    TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.4.2 Demo - FEATURING "ROUTE BY NODE"!
    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

    Comment


    • #3
      Sadly with the age group of many of our forum members being 60/70+ this happens to us maybe more than other forums

      We remove their email address and also change their birthday to hidden (if it's set to show) otherwise members see it in the birthday list and wish them happy birthday on the forums.
      __________________________________________
      We don't stop playing because we grow old;
      we grow old because we stop playing.
      GBS

      Comment


      • #4
        im sorry to hear that, blessings to you, your users and your forum.
        My health forum Resurgelife.com

        Comment


        • #5
          Just an addition to this, in v5 you can't have an empty email address like you could in v4 so we add a version of our own and turn all the user settings to off regarding "receive emails from admin, other users" etc. Turning off might be enough but changing email just makes absolutely sure.
          __________________________________________
          We don't stop playing because we grow old;
          we grow old because we stop playing.
          GBS

          Comment


          • #6
            Agreed, I've always liked the 'change email' method, because it guarantees you haven't missed anything and nothing will go out inadvertently that could cause distress.

            My forum has had about a dozen regulars sadly die over the sixteen years it's been going. Quite probably many more than that as we don't always get to find out.

            It's one of the worst parts of "the job" I'm afraid.
            MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

            TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.4.2 Demo - FEATURING "ROUTE BY NODE"!
            AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

            Comment


            • #7
              We had the same conversation, with the age of some of our members, this won't the first time we will have to figure this out. We wanted to find a decent way to go about it. Even tho it's tough to think about, it has to be discussed so we know what to do.

              I deleted the email, but as was mentioned, the field can not be empty. I put: removed@nefga.org. will putting a bogus email in the field cause any issue?

              I didn't think to remove the birthday field, I'll do that as well. I believe this could be why they received the email to begin with.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Flash04jv View Post
                We had the same conversation, with the age of some of our members, this won't the first time we will have to figure this out. We wanted to find a decent way to go about it. Even tho it's tough to think about, it has to be discussed so we know what to do.

                I deleted the email, but as was mentioned, the field can not be empty. I put: removed@nefga.org. will putting a bogus email in the field cause any issue?

                I didn't think to remove the birthday field, I'll do that as well. I believe this could be why they received the email to begin with.
                I don't think using a bogus email from your own domain should cause any problems. Hope not anyway because that's what we do although we put the members username before the @ as you can't use the same address with multiple users and it seemed an easy way to do it.. If there was a problem it would be you who got the bounce back 'unknown' email
                __________________________________________
                We don't stop playing because we grow old;
                we grow old because we stop playing.
                GBS

                Comment


                • #9
                  Alternatively, add the tld .invalid to the end so someone@somewhere.com becomes someone@somewhere.com.invalid
                  Vote for:

                  - *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
                  -
                  *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
                  - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
                  - Highlight the correct navigation tab when you are on a custom page
                  - "Quick Route" Interface...
                  - Allow to use custom icons for individual forums

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Trevor Hannant View Post
                    Alternatively, add the tld .invalid to the end so someone@somewhere.com becomes someone@somewhere.com.invalid
                    Well there you go, never knew you could add things beyond the end of a domain without it showing as an invalid email address. Learn something new every day.

                    Thanks Trevor.
                    __________________________________________
                    We don't stop playing because we grow old;
                    we grow old because we stop playing.
                    GBS

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thanks everyone. Answers my question perfectly.

                      Comment

                      Loading...
                      Working...
                      X