X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Letzride
    • Jun 2017
    • 5.5.x

Ad Module Titles Missing

I have selected my Ad Module to display the title as per my screenshot below, but it is not showing up. I found another thread on here that had the same issue and it was mentioned to add this code to the .CSS:

Code:

.axd-widget .widget-header {     display: none; }
    I did that however I still have no luck in getting the ad title to display.

The ad title should read: FORUM SPONSORS - directly below my last posts module and directly above the Amsoil advertisement that is 285x50 in the right hand sidebar on www.camarov6.com

Does anyone know if there is a fix to get this title to display?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Title missing.PNG
Views:	72
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	4387436
    V6 Camaro Forum | Deep Scratch Repair | How To Guides | Project Cars

Vote for:

Ability to display ads for xx number of views / impressions: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-18045
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

The CSS code above specifically hides the module header. You would want to change the value to one of the values that actually displays like block.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Letzride
      • Jun 2017
      • 5.5.x

Sorry I am still very new to all of this to know what that change would look like?

Vote for:

Ability to display ads for xx number of views / impressions: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-18045

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        • Aug 2000

display: block;

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/...eb/CSS/display

Though, I don't even know if the Ad Module has a header element these days.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Letzride
          • Jun 2017
          • 5.5.x

I used display inline; however the contained as seemed to float outside of the sidebar (it does this when I enter in block; as well). See my snapshot for a better explanation and the area I circled belongs to the ad widget...which is weird because I have never seen that before?

Name:	outside.PNG
Views:	54
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	4387499
          Attached Files

Vote for:

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            • Aug 2000

Have you thought about using a Static HTML Module instead of the Ad Module? It should behave as you want it to.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Letzride
              • Jun 2017
              • 5.5.x

I did, but I can't get rid of the border around the HTML module unless I want to eliminate the border from around my "latest posts" module and other stuff...which then just makes things look like they are floating.

I actually like the way the title looks in the ad module, would just like it to be contained to the sidebar instead of floating over like that...like I said, when I use the display block; in the css you can really notice it as the grey background pops out well wider than anything else in the sidebar

Vote for:

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                • Aug 2000

Each module has an ID so you can target the border of a specific module through it...

#widget_XX {border:none}

or

[data-widget-instance-id=XX] {border:none}

I use this technique here: https://forums.rabidbadger.io/privacy_policy

You can see the ID if you inspect the module in a browser like Chrome. Just right-click the module and choose "inspect element".

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Letzride
                  • Jun 2017
                  • 5.5.x

So I did this based on some CSS sites and some total guess work because I have very little experience doing this...it appears to have worked - but will this screw up any other widgets I have and bind them to these parameters?

Code:
                  .axd-widget .widget-header {     display: block; width: 285px; margin: auto; margin-bottom: 2px; border-style: solid; border-width: 1.25px; border-color: #BB0000; border-radius: 2px }

Vote for:

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                    vBulletin Support
                    • Aug 2002
                    • 5.7.X

If they use the same CSS classes, then they'll call that CSS you've added, yes.
                    Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
                    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• Letzride
                      • Jun 2017
                      • 5.5.x

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant
                      If they use the same CSS classes, then they'll call that CSS you've added, yes.
                      Ok, two part question - how can I take my above code and call it only to widget ID #43 which is the widget in question? I know you mentioned 2 ways in post #8 but I am not sure how I would integrate that call out into the code I put in post #9?

2nd question...I am super happy with the way the ad header looks like right now on my home page www.camarov6.com - it is lined up with the ad image in desktop browsers, but for mobile browsers like the Iphone 7 the title is off centered and it drives me crazy (see image below) - I would like to correct it so that the whole grey block header lines up centered over the ad below.

Name:	uncentered.PNG
Views:	64
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	4387990

Vote for:

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                        • Aug 2000

Use #widget_43 as your specificity.

#widget_43 XXXXX { CSS STUFF HERE }

That is the explicit reason why every single widget has its own CSS ID. If you inspect the element in a modern (and capable) web browser like Firefox or Chrome, you can see the code for it and see its specific CSS classes and IDs.

You can learn more about specificity here:
                        Specificity is the algorithm used by browsers to determine the CSS declaration that is the most relevant to an element, which in turn, determines the property value to apply to the element. The specificity algorithm calculates the weight of a CSS selector to determine which rule from competing CSS declarations gets applied to an element.

Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Letzride
                          • Jun 2017
                          • 5.5.x

So I used this:
                          Code:
                          #widget_43 {     display: block; width: 285px; margin: auto;
                          margin-bottom: 2px; border-style: solid;
                          border-width: 1.25px; border-color:
                          #BB0000; border-radius: 2px }
                          but now nothing shows up at the top of my widget as far as titles go and the entire grey box that said "FORUMS SPONSORS" is gone? I have now reverted back to what I had on my site for the time being

Vote for:

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                            • Aug 2000

I don't know what you had or why the change would have broken it. What is the link to the page with the problem?

Wayne Luke
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Letzride
                              • Jun 2017
                              • 5.5.x

The page is www.camarov6.com - I have now put the same code in post #13 in the CSS and saved it so that when you visit it you can see the "FORUM SPONSORS" is not above the Amsoil ad which is located in the sidebar.

If I eliminate the "#widget_43" and put back the ".axd-widget .widget-header" then it works, but isn't widget specific.

Vote for:

Comment