Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sm4uma
    • Feb 2018

Email notifications with quotes

I am testing the email notifications feature. It appears that if I subscribe to a specific topic, I will correctly receive email notifications of any new posts in that topic, but only if that post does not contain a quote. If the post does contain a quote, I do not receive an email notification. If the post contains a quote and I am not being quoted, I also don't receive a new notification in my notifications tab. If the post contains a quote and I am being quoted, I do receive a new notification in my notifications tab, but again, no email notification. Is this functioning the way it's supposed to, or is this a bug? If it's the way it's supposed to function, is there any way to change this setting?
  • BirdOPrey5
    • Jul 2008

I've tried to replicate this issue but wasn't able to. Let me confirm what I did.

1) In one browser I was logged in as the Administrator
    2) In another browser I was logged in as a registered user
    3) I subscribed the registered user to a random topic
    4) I made sure registered user was set to receive instant email notifications (within 10 minutes in practice) of replies to the topic
    5) Admin made a reply to the topic but did not quote anyone
    6) Registered user got both email and notification area notification of new post
    7) Admin then quoted registered user in same topic and replied.
    8) Again the registered user got both a notification and email of the reply. (Again email takes about 10 minutes due to email queue system.)
    9) Registered user navigates away from page after clearing notification
    10) Admin now makes another reply this time quoting a different user
    11) Registered user again gets both a notification and email (eventually) that the new reply was made.

This was tested in the new 5.4.0 version of vBCloud.

Have you tested since the 5,4.0 upgrade? If so are my instruction the same as you followed?

Comment

• sm4uma
      • Feb 2018

That is not the way the board functions for me. I just tested again with 5.4.0.

1. In one browser, I am logged in as the Administrator.
      2. In another browser, I am logged in as a registered user.
      3. I subscribe the registered user to a random topic.
      4. Administrator then replies to that topic.
      5. Registered user receives an instant email notification of this new reply.
      6. Administrator then posts another reply, but this time quoting a random previous post.
      7. Registered user does not receive an instant email notification of this reply.
      8. Administrator posts another reply, not quoting anyone.
      9. Registered user does receive an instant email notification of this reply.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
        • Jul 2008

I just ask you verify between steps 5 and 6 that the registered user visits the topic to view the reply by the administrator and then leaves the topic again before the administrator makes a reply with quote.

I believe the user is only supposed to receive one email once a reply has been made and not receive additional emails until they have viewed the topic again, this way they don't get a thousand emails over a weekend from a very busy topic. They just get one email for that topic.

Comment

• sm4uma
          • Feb 2018

1. I logged in as Administrator. I did not login as a registered user at all initially since I was already subscribed to the test topic.
          2. Administrator posted a new reply without a quote.
          3. Registered user received an instant email notification.
          4. Administrator posted another new reply without a quote.
          5. Registered user did not receive an instant email notification, which means the board does work as you described (registered user has still not logged in at this point).
          6. Registered user logged in and viewed topic.
          7. Administrator posted another new reply without a quote.
          8. Registered user received an instant email notification.
          9. Registered user refreshed the topic.
          10. Administrator posted another new reply and quoted registered user's previous post made in that thread.
          11. Registered user did not receive an instant email notification.
          12. Registered user refreshed the topic.
          13. Administrator posted another new reply and quoted Administrator's previous post made in that thread.
          14. Registered user did receive an instant email notification.

From this, I deduce:

1. The board will not send an email notification for each new reply made in a subscribed topic until the user views the topic (which is fine);
          2. The board will not send an email notification to User X if the new reply quotes User X;
          3. The board will send an email notification to User X if the new reply has no quote or quotes anyone other than User X.

I don't think this is the way it is intended to function (#2).

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
            • Jul 2008

Thank you. No it is not the way it should work, it should have made notification even if the registered user was quoted.

Please log into the Member's Area at https://members.vbulletin.com and create a support ticket. Please link to this topic and if possible in the support ticket provide the username of the registered user you used in these tests.

Thanks.

Comment