Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spam Management button? Delete all user posts.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spam Management button? Delete all user posts.

Just discovered the awfulness of this button. If it's used on a regular member, with thousands of posts, on accident, it's horrible. Can we remove it so one of our mods doesn't use it on accident?

If you use it on accident, not knowing what it does, how hard would it be to recover all the topics and posts it removes?

We just went through our mod account to make sure one of their friends, or someone they know, can't get on their account and delete a bunch of stuff from our forum. Seems like this is the ultimate tool to destroy a forum.

Spam​ Management:
    • Delete other posts and topics started by the affected users

Found it was a ticket at one time for some reason, for removing too much or something, I don't see what was fixed about it in the ticket. Seems to be too much of a tool to be in such a common area.

Created a CSS to hide it, and the Punitive action options since we have never used those. Couldn't find a way to just turn it off easily.

Code:
    /*Removes Spam Management and Punitive Action Tool when Deleting Posts*/
    fieldset.blockrow:nth-child(3){display:none;}
    fieldset.blockrow:nth-child(4){display:none;}

Comment

Where are this button at? I don't find any delete post button or option at Settings-> Option-> Spam Management.
      vBulletin-forum.de | Das deutschsprachige vBulletin 5 Forum! | Widgets, Mods und Anleitungen auf deutsch.
      Team online, Navbar UnreadCount, Navbar-Icons, Moderation-Info, New: Show hook-positions, Auto-close Threads, Latest Likes

Comment

Originally posted by delicjous View Post
        Where are this button at? I don't find any delete post button or option at Settings-> Option-> Spam Management.
        It's when you delete a post. There is an option for spam management.

I would suggest making sure moderators don't have permission to permanently delete posts, that way if they did press the button you can at least restore posts, although it might be time consuming.

Comment

Comment

I tried it on a test account. It removed all posts by that account, as a soft delete. But when I tried to undelete them they dissapeared. Not sure how to get them back now. They don't need to come back on that account, on a real account I'm sure it would be a head ache.

Comment

Can you go into the the user profile through Admin CP > User Manager> Quick user links> find all posts by user> and recover them that way?

Comment

Why not just set your moderators up so they cannot permanently delete posts? Channel Management -> Moderator Permissions.

I am sure there is a query to restore any soft deleted posts. Open a support ticket and someone can look at the issue for your cloud site.
                Last edited by Wayne Luke; Wed 24th Jan '18, 8:19am.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
                vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                Vote for your most annoying bugs.
                I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

Wow, didn't notice this feature before. This is a feature I wouldn't place there because it is not spam management to have the ability to delete all posts by a user with a single checkbox activated at any frontpage-option. There are the prune-node feature or a option at the admincp useredit if you really need to delete all posts by a user... but at the frontpage
                  vBulletin-forum.de | Das deutschsprachige vBulletin 5 Forum! | Widgets, Mods und Anleitungen auf deutsch.
                  Team online, Navbar UnreadCount, Navbar-Icons, Moderation-Info, New: Show hook-positions, Auto-close Threads, Latest Likes

Comment

It was a heavily requested feature before it was added to vBulletin 4. It was just a separate option in the menu. This isn't new to vBulletin 5.

I've added a JIRA to add a recovery feature - http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-18137

Wayne Luke

Comment

Originally posted by Flash04jv View Post
                      Found it was a ticket at one time for some reason, for removing too much or something, I don't see what was fixed about it in the ticket. Seems to be too much of a tool to be in such a common area.

Created a CSS to hide it, and the Punitive action options since we have never used those. Couldn't find a way to just turn it off easily.

Code:
                      /*Removes Spam Management and Punitive Action Tool when Deleting Posts*/
                      fieldset.blockrow:nth-child(3){display:none;}
                      fieldset.blockrow:nth-child(4){display:none;}
                      I looked into it and you could get a messup if the fieldset and class blockrow used in other places. You should replace your code with this one:
                      HTML Code:
                      .delete-posts-body fieldset{
                          display: none;
                      }
                      to hide both fieldsets or

HTML Code:
                      .delete-posts-body fieldset.blockrow:nth-child(3){
                          display: none;
                      }
                      Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                      It was a heavily requested feature before it was added to vBulletin 4. It was just a separate option in the menu. This isn't new to vBulletin 5.

I've added a JIRA to add a recovery feature - http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-18137
                      Thanks Wayne!

Comment

• Flash04jv
                        Flash04jv commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks for the code help! I'm a novice at this.

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                      Why not just set your moderators up so they cannot permanently delete posts? Channel Management -> Moderator Permissions.

I am sure there is a query to restore any soft deleted posts. Open a support ticket and someone can look at the issue for your cloud site.
                      They are currently only allowed to soft delete. I was actually making sure of it when I came across this. I know chances are low anyone will go to town on our forum. But this would be such a pain is it was ever actually used incorrectly, even with them only being able to soft delete. I'm good with the CSS hiding it, solves our concern.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                        Wayne Luke commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hiding stuff via CSS is a clunky fix though. I do it as well but we should work to prevent its requirement. The JIRA that I created will spark discussion with the developers so we can improve things.

• Flash04jv
                        Flash04jv commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I do agree with you, I'd rather not have it. Thanks for looking into it!

I've added a second JIRA to always require a password on this option - http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-18140. The idea is that it would slow people down so they look at what they are doing. It will add a little time to managing spam but I think it will control unwanted deletes.

Wayne Luke

Comment

• Flash04jv
                        Flash04jv commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The extra Password step is a great idea. Thanks!
                    Working...
                    X