X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Letzride
    • Jun 2017
    • 5.5.x

search results expiring

Is there a way to increase the time it takes for search results to time out?

When I do a search on my forum (www.camarov6.com) I get this error message "Search result already expired, please try a new search." after approximately 5-10 minutes after initiating a search...so I'll pop open a few threads from the results, go through them and go to move to the next search result page and be timed out...sometimes I can hit back then move forward again on my browser and it corrects the issue part of the time and allows me to continue moving forward...other times I am not so lucky.

I understand if search results time out after an hour or so...but to time out after approximately 5 minutes is a little short in my opinion - can I lengthen this?
    V6 Camaro Forum | Deep Scratch Repair | How To Guides | Project Cars

Vote for:

Ability to display ads for xx number of views / impressions: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-18045
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

There is no way to increase the time that searches are cached for. If you're trying to provide search results based on keywords, use custom pages with search modules set to look for your keywords. It will perform a new search if necessary. You can then link to that custom page instead of a search string.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Letzride
      • Jun 2017
      • 5.5.x

right now I give the option to search within the specified forum or across the entire site - the current time frame just seems a little unreasonably quick for those that like to research their topic to find an answer within a forum. I've been on many a vbulletin forums that don't seem to time out with the speed that my forum does which makes me wonder if there is a setting or other issue?

Vote for:

Ability to display ads for xx number of views / impressions: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-18045

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        • Aug 2000

It defaults to 1 hour. There is no setting to change this.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Letzride
          • Jun 2017
          • 5.5.x

Is there a way to verify that that function is installed and working correctly on my site then? Because today when I was searching through my forum (I searched by title and in a specific subforum) I was skimming through the results and by the time I clicked page "3" I had timed out....and I hadn't clicked on any results yet as I knew I was looking for a specific thread....so from the time I clicked search till the time I clicked page "3" was at maximum 1-2 minutes. Now it doesn't always do this, but it does do it a number of times....so if the default is an hour I am thinking maybe something didn't migrate properly when I had my site moved from vbulletin 3.xx to cloud?

I am completely happy with a one hour default - just my site is in no way mimicking that default

Vote for:

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            • Aug 2000

None of the code is migrated so that wouldn't affect the issue. You'll need to open a support ticket and give permission to have someone look at your site.

Make sure to provide steps to recreate including the exact words searched for and the usergroups of the affected user.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...