Template Help

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letzride
    commented on 's reply
    I should still be able to create a number of templates that can be applied to other subforums though no? I mean it appears to work that way until I apply it to at least one other forum and then it rewrites itself to a random template default with a different ID number that becomes unsearchable?

• delicjous
    commented on 's reply
    I know. Didn't see he is a cloud-customer. So I think it is not possible to do what he want to do.

• Wayne Luke
    commented on 's reply
    Cloud customers cannot use custom modules.

• delicjous
    replied
    Originally posted by Letzride

So there is no way that if I had a forum setup like:

MAIN FORUM

Forum A
    • Forum A(1)
    • Forum A(2)
      • Forum A(ii)
      • Forum A(iii)
    Forum B
    • Forum B(1)
    • Forum B(2)
      • Forum B(ii)
      • Forum B(iii)
    Forum C
    • Forum C(1)
    • Forum C(2)
      • Forum C(ii)
      • Forum C(iii)
    That I could have everything contained in say Forum "B" (so B(1), B(2), B(ii), B(iii) and all associated posts in those forums follow one specific template....then have a second template for all of either Forum A and Forum C?

Because that is what I would like to do...everything associated with "Forum A" - posts, subforums, all channels...I would like to follow one format...then everything in "Forum B another format"...but rather than having 15 templates in my above example, I would have 3 templates - Whatever I set Forum A, B, or C to is what their subforum/channels follow...?
    This looks similar to the thread at vb.org.
    I think you will get a problem to show the forum a, b, c,... separated in a template because the activity-stream widget have no option to choose a forum or a category to show. Like I mentioned at vb.org, you need a custom activity-stream widget with th option to setup a category and its child to the stream. I will take a look at this... but I don't promise to get it fast.

Leave a comment:

• Letzride
    replied
    Just did some more testing now and adding this in to this thread to ensure that 1) I am applying the template correctly and 2) so that when I open a ticket those that are looking at my site have a reference.

I created a new "template" called "Appearance" and it was ID 67....After saving it I verified I could still search for it and that it existed, it did. I then went to another subforum on my site, clicked edit page > select template and proceeded to select my "appearance" template in which it populated my template with the correct settings and then I clicked save... it said "You are about to overwrite the template which will be applied to ALL pages sharing this template." in which I clicked ok (because I can't see any other way to apply the template without saving the page now)...settings applied and it looked good, great! nope... now my appearance template has been renamed default channel page template ID 67 ... I can't search or locate ID 66 or my "appearance" should I want to apply them elsewhere...and I can't search or apply channel page template ID 67 to use it elsewhere either.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    You'll need to open a support ticket so someone can look at your database. There may need to be developer intervention. There are no known issues with this specific functionality at this time.

Leave a comment:

• Letzride
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke
    This will happen on Cloud if you have a staff member restore a database backup or restore the original pages on your site.
    neither of those have happened to my knowledge...not unless something was done on the last update that happened not too long ago..?

Is there a way to correct it? Because even a template I create right now won't hold the name?

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    This will happen on Cloud if you have a staff member restore a database backup or restore the original pages on your site.

Leave a comment:

• Letzride
    replied
    So I tried making a template for each forum....for one of my forums I created an "Appearance template" and saved it as such overwritting the current template...it appeared like that for awhile and let me apply to one other page...then it all of a sudden disappeared...when I went back to my "appearance forum" the template structure was still applied to it, however the name when I click "edit page" and "save page" had changed to default channel page ID 66.... ok fine, but I also can't search this default channel page ID 66...and when I look at some of my other templates they are saved under the same name "default channel page" but as ID 2 or ID whatever other number.

If I can't name them and have that name stick that is fine, I can make a spreadsheet and Identify them by ID number - however, I also can't search by ID number to pull up the template I would like to apply to certain pages ...so my question goes back to how can I create a template that I can pull up and apply to specific forums / channels that I want to mimick each other? Is there a master way to manage them through admincp than through the "edit page function"?

Click image for larger version  Name:	template gone.PNG Views:	2 Size:	39.8 KB ID:	4385154

Click image for larger version  Name:	search inconclusive.PNG Views:	2 Size:	44.5 KB ID:	4385153

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Yes... When you save a page, you will be given the option to overwrite a template. Create a template for FORUM B. I believe its children will inherit that template. If they do not, then visit them, click "Edit Page" in the Site Builder menu. In the Page Editor, select the Template tab and choose the template you used for FORUM B. Save the page.

Leave a comment:

• Letzride
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke
    You have to edit each page you want the ad to show on. The sidebars are unique to every page.

So if you want an ad on your forum pages, you need to edit one of the forum pages and add it.
    So there is no way that if I had a forum setup like:

MAIN FORUM

Forum A
    • Forum A(1)
    • Forum A(2)
      • Forum A(ii)
      • Forum A(iii)
    Forum B
    • Forum B(1)
    • Forum B(2)
      • Forum B(ii)
      • Forum B(iii)
    Forum C
    • Forum C(1)
    • Forum C(2)
      • Forum C(ii)
      • Forum C(iii)
    That I could have everything contained in say Forum "B" (so B(1), B(2), B(ii), B(iii) and all associated posts in those forums follow one specific template....then have a second template for all of either Forum A and Forum C?

Because that is what I would like to do...everything associated with "Forum A" - posts, subforums, all channels...I would like to follow one format...then everything in "Forum B another format"...but rather than having 15 templates in my above example, I would have 3 templates - Whatever I set Forum A, B, or C to is what their subforum/channels follow...?

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    You have to edit each page you want the ad to show on. The sidebars are unique to every page.

So if you want an ad on your forum pages, you need to edit one of the forum pages and add it.

Leave a comment:

• Letzride
    replied
    I also want to expand a little bit...let's say I have a specific template in my "Appearance and Detailing" forum on my website...I would like any thread/post that is housed in that forum/subforum to have a specific template....one that would be different for say the Camaro v6 engine tech which is the next one down...and all posts/threads contained in that forum/subforum would have a unique template than what is contained in my appearance section

The reason / thought behind this is...I can have advertising packages that are relevant to specific advertisers....detailers can advertise and have their ads seen in any posts made under the appearance section....while engine builders can have their ads displayed in any posts existing or made in the camaro v6 engine tech section....make a little more sense now?

I tried placing a turtlewax ad in my Appearance and detailing forum...then I tried saying show this to anyone browsing this forum or it's child forums...but it didn't translate into any of the posts that are in that section

Leave a comment:

• Letzride
    replied
    I am not sure how to exactly do that at this time...at least not without the fear of loosing what I currently have if I were to guess wrong.

Also, I am still quite new at this whole thing so forgive me if some of these questions seem like no brainers to some

Leave a comment:

• delicjous
    replied
    You could/ have to set the ad-module also to the (sub-)forums template. You could do that with the sitebuilder.

Leave a comment: