A Few Issues? "HOME" Topic? Turning "Forums/Channels" off? Etc.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • voclain
    • Aug 2002

A Few Issues? "HOME" Topic? Turning "Forums/Channels" off? Etc.

I moved my VB4 Site to the VB5 Cloud service and I'm just getting into it now. It's SUPER LARGE and it's going to take a bit of time to get everything set up the way I like.

I noticed that a new thing has showed up.....inside of a forum, under the "Stickys" at the top....a new "TOPIC" is on every forum and that top is named: "Home".....what is that? I don't need a LINK to my HOME Page....I have that at the top.....how do I get rid of that?

Also.....on the VB4 site.......I had the opting in the AdminCP>Forums>Forum Manage --- I had the option to "Forum is Active" or "Forum is Open" and a bunch of other things that I just cannot find now???? Where is that????
  • voclain
    • Aug 2002

Anyone???

i have another issue? To add to the issues above.

I noticed on this site, that when you click on Forum, and you view the list of channels, there is a column of “Last Post”....in that column is a list of all the last posts that were made in that channel. My site does the same thing for “admins” but not everyone else.

I have looked and looked at the usergroups, settings, etc and cannot figure out how to fix that, can you help? And can you pleease help with the issues in the first post also???

Thanks!

​​​​​​​kirk

Comment

• Dale D-FL
      • Jul 2014
      • 5.0.X

voclain, I will try to help you. Go to AdminCP>Quick Setup at the top of the page>delete Home from the list of topics it and then scroll down to Done and click it<

Comment

• voclain
        • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Dale D-FL
        voclain, I will try to help you. Go to AdminCP>Quick Setup at the top of the page>delete Home from the list of topics it and then scroll down to Done and click it<
        Forgive me...but I'm confused???? When I did just what you said....there is nothing there that says: "HOME".......I did try clicking some of these and it says there are 600 posts in there are you sure.....I said NO.....but???? IF I DO CLICK YES....is this like "TURNING OFF" a forum in VB4? it's still there just not active????

HELP

Comment

• Mark.B
          vBulletin Support
          • Feb 2004
          • 6.0.X

This is something that can only be rectified by the Cloud development team here.

I will get an internal ticket raised to set this in motion, ordinarily it would be done quite quickly but we in a major holiday period so I can't offer any guarantees as to when it will be done.
          MARK.B
          vBulletin Support
          ------------
          My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
          My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• voclain
            • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Mark.B
            This is something that can only be rectified by the Cloud development team here.

I will get an internal ticket raised to set this in motion, ordinarily it would be done quite quickly but we in a major holiday period so I can't offer any guarantees as to when it will be done.
            Mark:

First, thank you for the reply!

I had 3 questions, which of the 3 are you doing the "internal ticket" on so I can get the other 2 answered????????

1. "Home" Topic in ever forum?
            2. Turning Forums OFF?
            3. "Last Post" not showing up?

Kirk

Comment

• Mark.B
              vBulletin Support
              • Feb 2004
              • 6.0.X

Originally posted by voclain

Mark:

First, thank you for the reply!

I had 3 questions, which of the 3 are you doing the "internal ticket" on so I can get the other 2 answered????????

1. "Home" Topic in ever forum?
              2. Turning Forums OFF?
              3. "Last Post" not showing up?

Kirk
              Sorry, it's point 1. That's a known problem that occurs occasionally.

The forum options you mention were removed in vB5. If you wish to make a forum not display in the list, but still be open, set its display order to 0.

All channel lists generally display last post information, we'd need an example so we can see what's going on.
              MARK.B
              vBulletin Support
              ------------
              My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
              My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                • Aug 2000

3. If the user doesn't have permission to see the "last post", then there are times when the "Last Post" information will not be displayed on the topic list. A new post that the user can see will update the list for them. This has to do with performance, searching and caching systems.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• voclain
                  • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                  3. If the user doesn't have permission to see the "last post", then there are times when the "Last Post" information will not be displayed on the topic list. A new post that the user can see will update the list for them. This has to do with performance, searching and caching systems.
                  Wayne,

Thanks for the reply! So? This would be under Usergroup>Permissions>Search?

Im trying to narrow down where and what I have turned off to fix this.

Thanks again.

Kirk

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    • Aug 2000

It is not directly related to the Search Permissions. It is related to whether end users can see deleted posts or posts requiring moderation.

The first steps you should do is clear the cache in the AdminCP and if it hasn't been done already, rebuild the search engine. Maintenance -> Clear System Cache for the first. Maintenance -> General Update Tools for the second.

Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• voclain
                      • Aug 2002

Wayne, forgive me, but being that it works for admins seems to indicate to me that it is working. But it is not working for other usergroups!? Again, I could be wrong, but surly this Judy has to be a switch in that area that is causing this??

As far as rebuilding the search index, I do not mind done Nfl that, but, I have over 2 million posts. And when the upgrade finished, one of the admins who did the upgrade to the cloud from VB 4 said that I would not have to do that because it was done while the upgrade was taking place. If that is wrong info, let me know and I will rebuild that index.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                        • Aug 2000

Those are the first two troubleshooting steps for your problem.

Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• voclain
                          • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                          Those are the first two troubleshooting steps for your problem.
                          Wayne!! Ok, I’m on it!! I’ll run it tonight. It’s going to take forever, but if it fixes things or not I will report back!!

Thanks again!!

Comment

• voclain
                            • Aug 2002

Ok, I forgot to do it last night....so I got up early this AM to do what you told me! I did the "Clear Cache"....but then when I went to Maintenance -> General Update Tools I do NOT have an "option" to "rebuild the search engine".....what should I do?

Kirk Voclain

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                              • Aug 2000

We'll look into it.

Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment