X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mrs.T
    • Nov 2007
    • 6.0.X

Changing the provided styles in Cloud

I've occasionally read on here that if someone has a problem with their forum they are told to try the default style and see if the problem still continues.

So, I'm now a bit worried that we've made a mistake when creating a style for our forum. None of the supplied styles really met our preferred font and layout except for the vBulletin default style which apart from colours was perfect.

So we simply changed colours on that and added our logo and all is well.

However, this means we no longer have a default vB style that we could try in the event of a problem.

1. Does it matter as we are on Cloud so unlikely to have problems?

or

2. Should we re-create our style as a stand-alone and revert the vBulletin default back to it's original settings?

• Dale D-FL
    • Jul 2014
    • 5.0.X

I don't know if it is the right thing to do but, anytime I play around with the styles I create a "child of" such as child of default style and try the changes there so that if anything goes wrong I can fall back to the default. Hope that makes sense to you.

Comment

• Mrs.T
      • Nov 2007
      • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Dale D-FL
      I don't know if it is the right thing to do but, anytime I play around with the styles I create a "child of" such as child of default style and try the changes there so that if anything goes wrong I can fall back to the default. Hope that makes sense to you.
      Yes it does make sense, thank you and I think that is what I should have done, so now just wondering if I should get it all back to default and add a child version or if it's ok to leave it as is.
      Last edited by Mrs.T; Fri 17 Nov '17, 4:22am. Reason: Spelling

Comment

• Carrfixr
        • May 2017
        • 5.5.x

Excuse my ignorance, but how do you create a child of default?

Comment

• Mrs.T
          • Nov 2007
          • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Carrfixr
          Excuse my ignorance, but how do you create a child of default?
          Its in the styles options Carrfixr

Admincp>styles>manage styles
          Then next to the style you want to add a child to:

​Choose action>add child style

Comment

• Carrfixr
            • May 2017
            • 5.5.x

Thank you for the reply
            I found that but i am still not sure what it's all about. Is this something that can save all my current custom styles? Or can i make changes without it showing up live and able to preview first?
            Usually when i change a style i check it live and if it is not to my liking i switch it right back.

Comment

• Mrs.T
              • Nov 2007
              • 6.0.X

Yes, it's a way you can work on a style without your members seeing it if you want. Create a child of your preferred/main style (this is the parent) and any changes made on the child will not affect the parent. Then make it so that it is not selectable by your members. You will still be able to view in that style by going to the bottom left of the forum and choosing it from the drop down. Once you are happy you can add the changes to the parent for members to see.

I'm currently making a Christmas style, so that we can keep it to use year in year out. I've made a child of the red and white option (forgot what it's called now) and added in some green and a Christmas background, it's been a bit of trial and error but it's coming together nicely and that is why I've realised I should have begun with a 'child' when making the main style for our forum and left the vB default as the 'parent'.

Hope that makes sense. This is how I do it anyway, maybe there is a better way

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                • Jul 2008

You needn't worry. You can recreate the default style at anytime by going to Admin CP -> Styles -> Style Manager -> Add New Style. Create a new style with no parent style. Call it anything you want. When done that new style will be the original default style. Works on Cloud or the download version.

In the future making edits to child styles does make more sense though.

Comment

• Mrs.T
                  • Nov 2007
                  • 6.0.X

That's brilliant, thanks Joe.

Definitely using child styles from now on.

Comment

• Carrfixr
                    • May 2017
                    • 5.5.x

Wow I learned something HUGE today

I'm embarrassed to say that i have already signed up for demo's and played that way

Thanks Mrs.Tiggywinkle

Comment

• Carrfixr
                      • May 2017
                      • 5.5.x

Do you delete the other unused default styles out of that menu or just leave them there?

Comment

• Mrs.T
                        • Nov 2007
                        • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Carrfixr
                        Do you delete the other unused default styles out of that menu or just leave them there?
                        Do you mean the ones called stripes, old school etc. etc. ?

I would leave them because they are useful for looking at different fonts and what they are called, how different colours are used etc. You never know when you might want an idea.

I've learnt a lot too Carrfixr, I love how everyone helps each other on here and no one laughs at silly questions (well not so we hear anyway )

Comment

• Carrfixr
                          • May 2017
                          • 5.5.x

Yes i meant those,
                          That's another great idea to look at those for references.

Thanks again

Comment

• Mrs.T
                            • Nov 2007
                            • 6.0.X

One other thing to remember is to copy any custom CSS you have on your main style to any new styles you make if you want it work on them too.

​​​​​Not sure if it automatically copies over to a child style, it probably does, but best to check that.

Comment

• Carrfixr
                              • May 2017
                              • 5.5.x

It seems everything carries over except for the styles,,, Posts, Custom CSS etc

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...