X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Masterjts
    • Mar 2015
    • 5.1.x

Navigation Bar

I'm having trouble with my navigation bar.

This section says there is a way to set the main navigation bars up as tabs. And that is what is implied when you click the right arrow near each entry in the main navigation bar area as it displays what is in the sub navigation area.

But for some reason my bar only allows links in the main area. I can add as many sub items as I want but the main forces a link. If I put "/" in there then it just displays the default navigation bar (not even the modified sub navigation bar entries.).

• Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

Sub nav items will only show under the tab they are attached to.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Masterjts
      • Mar 2015
      • 5.1.x

I figured that. Problem is that the "tabs" do not work. You can click any of the main tabs and they only show the default forum tab. (not even my modified forum tab where I added a few extra custom search options.) Let me show you in picture form I guess.

Default tab This is the only tab and sub tabs that shows no matter what you click.

Navigation Bar Settings This shows the custom changes to the forum nav bar that do not show on the live site.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

You need to have a destination. It isn't an active menu. By using / you're telling it to go to the forums which is the default home page. Due to this it shows the Forum sub-navigation.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Masterjts
          • Mar 2015
          • 5.1.x

So what do I put into the url box to allow the main navigation bar to function as tabs. Building a new page wont do anything because the page doesnt include the navigation bar so you cant build a page with different navigation bars to create your own tabs. Im missing something here. It was working previously without me doing anything to it.

Comment

• Mark.B
            vBulletin Support
            • Feb 2004
            • 6.0.X

I'm not sure what you mean here.

If you create a new page, you can then make a tab for it in the navigation bar, which can then have its own subnav items below it.
            Yiu need to add the URL for the new page into the URL setting for the tab.
            MARK.B
            vBulletin Support
            ------------
            My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
            My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Masterjts
              So what do I put into the url box to allow the main navigation bar to function as tabs. Building a new page wont do anything because the page doesnt include the navigation bar so you cant build a page with different navigation bars to create your own tabs. Im missing something here. It was working previously without me doing anything to it.
              If you look at the top of this page. Home, Forum, Articles, etc... are tabs. They are what we refer to as tabs. The Forums tab will be highlighted in white as it is the active tab. The line under that is the sub-navigation. That is the only way it works.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Masterjts
                • Mar 2015
                • 5.1.x

That is what I am trying to tell you. It doesnt work.

Furthermore I dont see why or how you can make the main nav tabs link to pages. For instance on this forum right here the main nav tabs are set as links. You click them and they take you to a new page. I can do that BUT how do you make the main nave tabs actually act as tabs. (ie you click them and they turn white and display the sub nav links.)

EDIT:

I figured it out. This has to be the dumbest way to do navigation tabs ever.

So you have to make a brand new page that is exactly like the previous page and name it forums, discord, teamspeak then link each tab to it's own page and then magically it works. There is no reason for the default behavior to require a new page named after the tab... and if it does why not just include the active tab navigation inside the page edit area? Also it would be helpful to explain the need for this inside the linked manual documentation I linked above.

vb5 is so crazily (backwards) coded sometimes.

Thank you Wayne Luke for your help.

Comment

• Masterjts
                  • Mar 2015
                  • 5.1.x

I spoke too soon. Even if I create new pages titled forums, discord, teamspeak and then link them on the main navigation bar it still doesnt work.

It only displays the newest page I made/saved. So if I make discord then the forums.com/discord page is displayed for everything (forums, discord and teamspeak.)

Something is still not working or I am just missing something.

Is there a walkthrough that shows you how to set up your navigation bar including making the relevant pages that you link to in order to make the main navigation bar function as tabs?

It also wont let me view the pages. When I click pages it gives me this error.

Error fetching dialog.

Error information: " 500 error Internal Server Error"

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    • Aug 2000

If you're linking offsite, use absolute URLS. The sub-nav will not show. Both the Tracker and Home links above are examples of this. The link will simply link off site.

If you're linking internally, you would use relative urls like /forum or /page name.

Will have to see what you've done when I have some time later. Right now it appears you've removed all the navigation for some reason.

Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Joshua Gonzales
                      • Apr 2015
                      • 5.5.x

I took a look at your site just to see if I could help.
                      Right now, your Discord and Teamspeak nav items are just opening up the sub nav items. If you want actual vBulletin pages for those nav items, you need to create a new page using the Sitebuilder.
                      EDIT SITE ON > New Page
                      When you save the page, make sure you add the appropriate addition to the URL, such as /discord or /teamspeak.
                      Do not leave that field blank or it will mess with your landing page.
                      If you knew all of this or continue to experience errors or issues, then please let us know so we can continue to help.
                      -- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
                      -- Ads available for the modules globally
                      -- Global modules
                      -- Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)

Comment