X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pzspinz
    • May 2017
    • 5.3.x

Facebook Connect Permissions.

My fb connect is asking users for everything from their birthday to profile info and more. How can I change it so it only asks for name and email address from fb? Ie similar to how this forum does it? Pics for reference.
  • pzspinz
    • May 2017
    • 5.3.x

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

You can adjust permissions for your Facebook app on the Facebook site. Changing from the default will require Facebook to certify your app.

Individual users can control permissions on this page: https://www.facebook.com/settings?tab=applications
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• pzspinz
        • May 2017
        • 5.3.x

Thanks, but I do not wish to ask facebook for extra permissions. You are right that asking facebook for permissions that are different from the default will require a certification process. I don't want to go through facebook's certification process because I don't want to ask my users for their birthdays anyway.

Why is my facebook Login asking any user that wants to sign up for way more information than just their public profile and email? This is the message that you can see a screenshot of above on the left image. Whereas the right image is only asking for basic information (the right image is from this board):

VBULLETINBOARD will receive: your public profile, email address, birthday, work history, current city and personal description.

It's those extra things it's asking for (birthday, work history etc), which I never configured, that I want to not have it ask for. Why is vBulletin asking for them?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          • Aug 2000

We're not.... It is the default of the Facebook App.

Wayne Luke
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• pzspinz
            • May 2017
            • 5.3.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
            We're not.... It is the default of the Facebook App.
            I don't see how that's possible. There are no options in the facebook app that are asking for birthday.

Here are the permissions that facebook according to facebook. Am I correct in understanding that vBulletin is using facebook's API to request for those extra fields like birthday? If you're saying that it is a facebook app setting, where is the setting in facebook?

Attached Files
            Last edited by pzspinz; Mon 8 May '17, 3:11pm.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

I am sorry but, there is no place in vBulletin to request additional permissions or change the ones requested. Facebook controls the permissions on their end based on App Creation. If their site doesn't provide you with what you're looking for, then you would have to discuss this with Facebook's Developer Services.
              Last edited by Wayne Luke; Tue 9 May '17, 8:51am.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• pzspinz
                • May 2017
                • 5.3.x

Forgive, me, but you understand why this makes zero sense to me right?

1. I install vBulletin Cloud
                2. I install facebook connect / app per instructions found on vBulletin
                3. I find that vBulletin Cloud on my website is asking facebook for permissions like Birthday
                4. (I find that vBulletin.com forums are NOT asking for permissions like Birthday)
                5. I find that Facebook Developer site is in no way asking for things like Birthday.
                6. You tell me it's something on Facebook's end.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  • Aug 2000

You can't install vBulletin Cloud anywhere. It is a hosted service. It uses the same software version as this one. There are no settings in the software that control this. I'll have cloud developers look into it. Unfortunately, I cannot give a time frame on when they can schedule this.

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment