X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nintenex
    • Oct 2016
    • 5.2.x

Vbulletin Cloud: We Need To Share!!

Hi Vbulletin community, I'm here to share with you something we all need as website owners, something that isn't new but required for forum owners who want to reach out to distant people. I am not speaking out for myself as im sure others have already noticed this.

as all is aware, something that the cloud sites are lacking is a way to naturally share our page content to social media. Social media is the biggest and greatest way to connect people to your content and without utilizing sharing features, its hard to say if your forum will see the bright of day.

What we need is a module that we can place on the side of the forum for people to click on to share the page directly to social pages such as Google plus, Twitter, and facebook, pineterest and other social networking sites,

We all need ways to connect to the outside world ways to connect us to where the traffic is going. To find people around the world who shares your ideas who cares about your community and to have great long conversations with!

Please vBulletin, give us a share Module.
  • glennrocksvb
    Former vBulletin Developer
    • Mar 2011
    • 5.7.X

The proper venue for requesting new features is via JIRA tracker. Simply posting requests here in the forums does not make your request official.

Anyway, there is already an existig JIRA for this: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-7458

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• Paul M
      Former Lead Developer
      vB.Com & vB.Org
      • Sep 2004

I believe they were looking at some new social media sharing stuff, not sure if thats still being investigated for 5.2.6.
      Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

1. Go here: https://www.addthis.com/
        2. Set up your share widget for an "HTML SITE".
        3. Get the code.
        4. Go to your cloud site and open the page you want the widget to show on. For instance, one of your topics.
        5. Click Edit Site.
        6. Click Edit Page.
        7. Add an HTML Widget.
        8. Edit the Widget.
        9. Paste in the code you received.
        10. Set the widget to hide its title if you wish.
        11. Save the Widget
        12. Save the Page.
        https://forums.rabidbadger.io/forum/.../24-site-reset
        Last edited by Wayne Luke; Mon 24 Oct '16, 10:36am.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Nintenex
          • Oct 2016
          • 5.2.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          1. Go here: https://www.addthis.com/
          2. Set up your share widget for an "HTML SITE".
          3. Get the code.
          4. Go to your cloud site and open the page you want the widget to show on. For instance, one of your topics.
          5. Click Edit Site.
          6. Click Edit Page.
          7. Add an HTML Widget.
          8. Edit the Widget.
          9. Paste in the code you received.
          10. Set the widget to hide its title if you wish.
          11. Save the Widget
          12. Save the Page.
          https://forums.rabidbadger.io/forum/.../24-site-reset

Wayne Luke
          Thanks but im not seeing some of these options, Edit site isnt there and i dont see add widget either?

Comment

• Nintenex
            • Oct 2016
            • 5.2.x

Woah nevermind, Iused an ad widget and it works, I guess i wasover thinking about it.

Thanks so much Wayne Luke Click image for larger version

Name:	grin--plz.png
Views:	66
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	4357611

Comment

• glennrocksvb
              Former vBulletin Developer
              • Mar 2011
              • 5.7.X

I also use AddThis on my site and it's possible to add the social share buttons globally across the site even in vBCloud.

In my site, I use the "Sidebar" style which floats to the left for desktop and to the bottom for mobile. In the AddThis advanced options, you could configure to not display the Share buttons on some pages based on URL pattern. For example, you wouldn't want the Share buttons to be available in Private Messages and User Settings pages. So I configured it to hide on these pages:

vbmods.rocks/privatemessage/*,vbmods.rocks/settings/*

The AddThis code generated will just be a script tag that links to addthis_widget.js with your pubid like below:

Code:
              <script type="text/javascript" src="//s7.addthis.com/js/300/addthis_widget.js#pubid=[COLOR=#0000FF]xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx[/COLOR]" [COLOR=red]async[/COLOR]></script>
              The code provided by AddThis does not actually include the HTML5 "async" attribute but adding it is highly recommended so it does not disrupt your page load performance.

For self-hosted vB5, you can include the script tag in head_include template or via template hook.

For vBCloud, you can include it via Header Ad Module in Sitebuilder > Header > Edit Header Ad HTML Module. This is similar to a regular Ad Module that you can drag and drop to a page but the big difference is that this ad will be rendered globally in all pages in the header section, so you don't have to manually add the same module in all pages like what you would do if you were using a regular Ad module.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• Nintenex
                Nintenex commented
                Editing a comment
                you're really good with codes, did you go to school for this? Im interested about where you learned your skills from if you dont mind sharing a but about it.

I think you should make a thread with a little background story related to it, I'd surely read it.
            • Nintenex
              • Oct 2016
              • 5.2.x

It works great job, I still love my over dramatic writing for this post. <3

Comment