• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fred Clements
    • Jun 2016
    • 5.2.x

Subscription Notifications

Hi all,

We have moved from yahoogroups and some members want to continue to receive e-mails for forums they are interested in. Currently they receive truncated messages and are forced to link to the site to read the message. Is there a setting that would allow them to receive the entire message for a forum they subscribe to? If so it would be a big help to us!

Thank you,

Fred Clements
    NBDA Dealer Forum
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

There is no setting for this at this time.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• glennrocksvb
      Former vBulletin Developer
      • Mar 2011
      • 5.7.X

This would require a lot of code changes as vB emails are just plain text and does not use HTML. What if a post has inline image attachments? You may also want to preserve formatting of the post in the email notifications. How would the email look like for Poll topics? The email has to include the Poll results. What about Link and Gallery content types? There are a lot of things to consider if you really want to have the entire content of the post to be in the email notification message.

And in my opinion, putting the entire content in the email will reduce forum activity/visits as some users may not visit the site and just read their emails.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• Fred Clements
        • Jun 2016
        • 5.2.x

Glenn thank you. A member of our forum cites the Flyertalk forum as sending complete message notifications, a vbulletin site, maybe he's wrong or maybe they made something custom. Your explanation of unintended consequences is excellent and appreciated. If this thing is going to work people have to go to the site. Our 20-year listserv moved to vbulletin two months ago, prognosis uncertain, traffic and content are slow to build.

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
          vBulletin Support
          • Aug 2002
          • 5.7.X

Most of the Internet Brands corporate sites are heavily modified with custom code for their needs.
          Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
          - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment