• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • driven13
    • Jul 2015
    • 5.0.x

Please help with this setup.

Hello all.

I need some help with setting up the system for our use based on these guidelines:

1.) Almost all of the different forums are going to be private.
    2.) Only those members that the Super Admin gives access to can access these private forums.
    3.) There will be about 20 of these private forums with about 10 members in each of them.
    4.) Members of one private forum cannot access any of the other private forums.
    5.) What settings would I need to apply within the Forums themselves to make this all possible.?
    6.) Should be able to grow as the number of private forums and the number of members in them grow.

How would I go about setting this up..??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx in advance.
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

vB5 handles forum permission by usergroup rather than by individual user, so you're going to need to create a custom usergroup for every forum, ideally called something like "<name of forum> access".
    Base this usergroup off the Registered Users group.

Then....
    Go to AdminCP > Channel Management > Channel Permissions

Edit the permissions for each individual FORUM channel that you want to be private (don't touch anything that is not a forum that you created).
    Deny access to every usergroup except admins and except the usergroup with the name that matches the forum you are editing!

When you grant access to a user, simply add them to the relevant usergroup as a secondary usergroup.

I haven't tested this set up so I would run some tests on it first.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• driven13
      • Jul 2015
      • 5.0.x

Thank you for the response Mark. That helped tremendously.

Two follow-up questions:

1.) For a custom FORUM channel, is there an easy way to DENY access to every usergroup except admins and except the custom usergroup that I created....?? I tried DENY ALL but then I did not know enough to go back and grant access to the admin and custom-usergroup. I was hoping there would be a button somewhere that would allow me to simply DENY a usergroup.

2.) You had said: When you grant access to a user, simply add them to the relevant usergroup as a secondary usergroup.
      Can you please explain what you mean by "secondary usergroup"...??? And why I cannot simply add them to the relevant usergroup itself directly..??

Thanx again.

Comment