Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sherm
    • Aug 2014

Need help changing color in header

Anyone able to assist a real newbie?! I Put a logo in the header but want to make the background color just white so the logo appears by itself, not like a block picture over a dark color. I am so new I cannot figure out how to change this color! Any help?
  • glennrocksvb
    Former vBulletin Developer
    • Mar 2011
    • 5.7.X

In AdminCP > Styles & Templates > Style Manager > Style Variable Editor (for the target theme/style), search for "header_background" and then change its background color to #ffffff and background-image to blank. Repeat for other themes/styles as needed.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• sherm
      • Aug 2014

Glenn, I truly appreciate the response, however, I cannot figure out how to get through all the steps you mentioned. I was able to make it up to the Style Variable Editor. That option is not listed next to the style I chose. The only place I see that term is below where it says Default Style, but if I click on that it changes the whole look of the site. Can you advise where I can find the Style Variable Editor for the style I have chosen (cool blue)?

Comment

• glennrocksvb
        • Mar 2011
        • 5.7.X

By default, the default selected dropdown option is "Style Variable Editor" so you just have to click the Go button for the selected theme.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

If you are using one of the provided themes, there is an extra step involved. A couple actually. Themes do not have access to the Style Variable Editor by design.

In the Style Manager, you will first need to create a new "Child Style" using the drop down that is initially set to Style Variable Editor. This new style will be called "Child of %Theme Name%" but you can name it whatever you want. It will appear in the list directly under it. Once you have done this, you can edit the Style Variables as "Style Variable Editor" will become available. Without this step, we will wipe out your changes every time we upgrade your Cloud site.

Second, you'll want to set this new Child Style as the default so your changes affect the visual layout. You will do this by going to Settings -> Options -> Style and Language Options. Set your new Style as the default and if you wish, you can change the option to prevent users from changing Styles on the same page.

Once, you've create this child style, then Glenn's instructions work.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• sherm
            • Aug 2014

Thank you guys, you have been very helpful, however, I may have led you in the wrong direction! I followed the instructions provided but the part I was looking to change colors did not. Where the logo goes, there is a dark navy blue background (using the Cool Blue theme) and I when I get my new logo I would like to put it there but not have that color background, just white so the logo is not against a colored background. I thought where the logo goes is called the header, is that not the case?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
              • Aug 2000

Yes, it is the header. The color of that background is controlled by the Style Variable header_background.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• sherm
                • Aug 2014

I figured it out, worked like a charm, thanks a million! The only thing that did not work is I set it to NOT be able for user to change style but I see it offers that option. Know why this would be?

Comment

• glennrocksvb
                  • Mar 2011
                  • 5.7.X

For Admins, all style/theme options are always available in the dropdown. That's by design.

Comment

• sherm
                    • Aug 2014

Understood, thanks.

Comment