X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheGLForum
    • Jul 2014
    • 5.0.X

Comments vs Reply to a post

Can someone explain the difference between posting a Comment vs. Posting a Reply to a post?
  • Kent55
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by TheGLForum
    Can someone explain the difference between posting a Comment vs. Posting a Reply to a post?
    Replying is with regards to the topic at hand and commenting is when you are posting about a particular post in that thread. Think of it as preventing users from going off topic. Replies are for topic related posts and comments are about a single reply and more about what a user said, e.g "I totally agree with this, +1".

Comment

• TheGLForum
      • Jul 2014
      • 5.0.X

Makes sense

Comment

• Robyn L
        • Apr 2015
        • 5.1.x

Just curious about this. I have a new member whose post count shows up as only 5 posts, but she has clearly made more posts than that, but most are comments. Do comments not show up in the post count?

Comment

• Carrfixr
          Carrfixr commented
          Editing a comment
          Comments do not add to the post count.
          Posting pictures does add to the post count. If a new user makes one post and uploads 20 pictures attached to that post they will have 21 as their new post count.
      • montana rover
        • Oct 2016
        • 5.3.x

My thoughts on the "Comments". I have found lets say you have a thread 1 month old and 5 pages in length. If someone happens to make a comment to a time sensitive issue on post 4 you never know they made that comment because it does advance the thread up the ladder so to speak vs someone posting and using the quote feature which then pushed the topic up the recent topics discussed section.

I had to turn off Comments for that reason. Just my 2 cents...

Comment

• Carrfixr
          Carrfixr commented
          Editing a comment
          The unread module picks up new posts and comments

• montana rover
          montana rover commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll have to look that one up. Thanks Carrfixr.