Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TravelTalk
    • Jun 2013
    • 4.2.X

I'm actually going through so much trouble that I Need to have a Drink !!

Been back and forth with VB Tech and just can't get it to work. ( I do have one pending problem that I might have fixed )

I have GoDaddy

at First I had a higher level for my VB cloud but switched it to Bronze because I didn't have enough stuff to move over with migrating
    I wanted my Domain and not to use a Sub-Domain which worked fine with the Silver package.
    but after the switch i was told I HAD to use a Sub, Fine I did

So I changed the CNAME to what VB told me to use, it never took. and waited days
    Then I contacted GoDaddy and told them I think I did it wrong, can they check. They went in and changed something, where they added www
    found out later from VB that there shouldn't be any www, it wasn't needed. just http:// along with the Sub-forum

Now besides changing the CNAME I also used GoDaddy's Forwarding <<<< this might have been a mistake because after almost a week I Still can't get the site to work
    I can only access my site through the Temp url given to me by VB

Thoughts ?? Help ???

Comment

• In Omnibus
      • Apr 2010

My first thought is if you have VBCloud you shouldn't have any need for GoDaddy. Cloud includes hosting. Staff can correct me if I misunderstand this.

Comment

• TravelTalk
        • Jun 2013
        • 4.2.X

guess it didn't work taking away the forwarding, it just goes a saying the site is Parked

Comment

• TravelTalk
          • Jun 2013
          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by In Omnibus
          My first thought is if you have VBCloud you shouldn't have any need for GoDaddy. Cloud includes hosting. Staff can correct me if I misunderstand this.
          My Nameservers are there so I still need Godaddy

Comment

• TravelTalk
            • Jun 2013
            • 4.2.X

Updating your CNAME record allows you to point your custom domain (e.g. myvbulletincloud.com) to the sub-domain assigned to your account. In order to do this you’ll need to visit your domain name registrar and update the records on their site. If you are also using the domain for a regular site, you’ll need to redirect a sub-domain (e.g. forums.myvbulletincloud.com).
            To add a CNAME record:
            1. Login into your domain name registrar’s management panel.
            2. Select the domain name you want to manage.
            3. Choose Manage Host Names, Host Name Records, or DNS Records
            4. Update the CNAME record to point to the subdomain assigned to your forum. This would look like:
              a2398af32123.vbulletin.net
            5. Save your records.
            6. Wait for the records to propagate. This can take up to 24 hours.

Once you're CNAME is set up, you must Activate your Custom Domain.
            To do this, log into your Cloud Console and then:
            1) Click "Change Domain" if you need to update it. This change can take several minutes to be reflected.
            2) Click the link to Activate your Custom Domain.

Comment

• In Omnibus
              • Apr 2010

If you haven't resolved this issue yet ...

I checked my GoDaddy hosting account and found that you should only need to change the subdomain under Forwarding.

You should not need to make any changes to the DNS CNAME

Let us know if this works.

Comment

• TravelTalk
                • Jun 2013
                • 4.2.X

Originally posted by In Omnibus
                If you haven't resolved this issue yet ...

I checked my GoDaddy hosting account and found that you should only need to change the subdomain under Forwarding.

You should not need to make any changes to the DNS CNAME

Let us know if this works.
                I appreciate the help.

I'm only following what was sent to me and what I have read here in the forum as well
                Which says that you need to point/change the CNAME. ( I'm not saying you are wrong )

Below is what My DNS info looks like and if you can Compare Yours to mine, that would be Great.
                I have taken out some of the real info, but need to know if my "Type", "Name" and "Value" are the same as yours or similar

I did put back the Forwarding info, so I guess I'm good there.
                also there is No hosting from GoDaddy, which shouldn't matter, I think.

I just think there's is something wrong or Missing from these records

Thank you

Records

Last updated 5/16/2019 5:06 PM
                A @ Parked 600 seconds Edit
                CNAME forum a2398af32123.vbulletin.net 1 Hour Edit
                CNAME www @ 1 Hour Edit
                MX @ mail.xxxxxxxxxxxxx.com (Priority: 1) 1 Hour Edit
                MX @ mail.xxxxxxxxxxxxx.com (Priority: 1) 1 Hour Edit
                NS @ ns31.domaincontrol.com 1 Hour
                NS @ ns32.domaincontrol.com 1 Hour
                SOA @ Primary nameserver: ns31.domaincontrol.com. 600 seconds

Comment

• TravelTalk
                  • Jun 2013
                  • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Mark.B
                  The CNAME needs to be changed at whoever the actual domain provider is. By the sounds of it this is GoDaddy in your case.
                  You only add a CNAME record for the actual URL of your forum, nothing else.
                  vBulletin cloud does not offer any ftp or email services so you would not touch these records.
                  I think if this was the case, the VBulletin.net url that was given to me, wouldn't need to be used ??

Comment

• In Omnibus
                    • Apr 2010

Your A Name should be the IP address of the GoDaddy Server.

I've attached my DNS Record for comparison, although I've obviously redacted the full IP address and some other information.

The second attachment is the Forwarding Subdomain menu at the bottom right-hand side of the DNS page.

All you should have to do is to enter the Cloud information into those fields and save. It may take a while to propagate.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DNS.png
Views:	195
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	4415387
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	FWD.png
Views:	165
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	4415388

Comment

• TravelTalk
                      • Jun 2013
                      • 4.2.X

Ok, hard to follow what you have and where you have it.
                      That's a lot of CNAME's

Which one is the one you used for the vbulletin.net url that they give you ( Temp url from VB ) ?

At the Sub-Domain Forwarding, is that where you put the Forum.xxxxxxx.com ?
                      was there anywhere Else that you put your " Forum.xxxxx.com ?

Thank you

Comment

• TravelTalk
                        • Jun 2013
                        • 4.2.X

Originally posted by TravelTalk
                        Ok, hard to follow what you have and where you have it.
                        That's a lot of CNAME's

Which one is the one you used for the vbulletin.net url that they give you ( Temp url from VB ) ?

At the Sub-Domain Forwarding, is that where you put the Forum.xxxxxxx.com ?
                        was there anywhere Else that you put your " Forum.xxxxx.com ?

Thank you
                        I'm thinking I really screwed this up and that the Temp URL ( vbulletin.net ) Shouldn't be anywhere on my records or put in as my CNAME

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                          • Aug 2000

I really don't understand what the problem is here. The `forum` sub-domain is properly redirecting to your Cloud site. The CNAME appears to be properly setup and no changes are needed for it.

Since you previously had a Cloud site (now expired) on the `www` subdomain, you cannot do a CNAME redirect for it to go to your `forum` site. It simply won't work with the current system. If you didn't have this previous account on a different sub-domain, you could configure this in your Cloud Console under the "Subdomain Redirects" link on the main page.

In order for the `www` subdomain to redirect to the `forum` redirect, you will need to configure a 301 Redirect to the `forum` subdomain. This would be done through your DNS provider. That appears to be GoDaddy at this time.

www.domain.com 301 redirect to forum.domain.com without masking. So when the user hits our servers, they are looking for the `forum` sub-domain. You should be able to set up a 301 redirect for the domain without any sub-domain as well. Again without masking.

If you want to use the `www` domain to link directly to your cloud site in the future, you'll need to contact [email protected] and get that subdomain released from our system.
                          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• TravelTalk
                            • Jun 2013
                            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                            I really don't understand what the problem is here. The `forum` sub-domain is properly redirecting to your Cloud site. The CNAME appears to be properly setup and no changes are needed for it.

Since you previously had a Cloud site (now expired) on the `www` subdomain, you cannot do a CNAME redirect for it to go to your `forum` site. It simply won't work with the current system. If you didn't have this previous account on a different sub-domain, you could configure this in your Cloud Console under the "Subdomain Redirects" link on the main page.

In order for the `www` subdomain to redirect to the `forum` redirect, you will need to configure a 301 Redirect to the `forum` subdomain. This would be done through your DNS provider. That appears to be GoDaddy at this time.

www.domain.com 301 redirect to forum.domain.com without masking. So when the user hits our servers, they are looking for the `forum` sub-domain. You should be able to set up a 301 redirect for the domain without any sub-domain as well. Again without masking.

If you want to use the `www` domain to link directly to your cloud site in the future, you'll need to contact [email protected] and get that subdomain released from our system.
                            Wayne,

What happened there was I had the Silver package to start off, when I saw that I would need a migration because I already set up the Forum with all of my information and the package just gave me a Plain site, i wanted to downgrade it to the Bronze because it wasn't a active site.
                            Guess where MY mistake was I Cancelled the Silver and started over. I didn't know how to just Change it.
                            Also on that Silver plan i wanted to use my Domain and Not a Sub-Domain. Then read i couldn't do that.

I have already been back and forth with a VB Tech guy who did the migration. He has been trying to help me, but I'm not understanding

Anyway, So you are saying that I can't use the Sub-domain ? because it was used already on my first plan ??

and that the VBulletin.net url ( Temp URL to my site ) Belongs in the CNAME ?

Comment

• TravelTalk
                              • Jun 2013
                              • 4.2.X

I was told not to use the "www" in the Sub-Domain, so when you say "www" I'm getting more confused

Comment

• TravelTalk
                                • Jun 2013
                                • 4.2.X

The Problem with the above since I have tried a few times already is that for Forwarding, there are two parts. One says Domain, but when I open to add it only says Forward to :
                                Under Sub-Domain, I open that one and it Also say Forward To :
                                Forwarding

DOMAIN

FORWARD TO
                                http://https://

FORWARD TYPE
                                Permanent (301)
                                Temporary (302)
                                SETTINGS
                                Forward only
                                Forward with masking
                                Update my nameservers and DNS settings to support this change.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...