X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TravelTalk
    • Jun 2013
    • 4.2.X

Changing your CNAME

having some problems with this as I'm not sure I understand fully how to do this.

So I read the thread Managing your CNAME Record

I fall under my domain is registered through GoDaddy, but the Forum that I have is hosted by a different company.
    Not knowing at first about changing my DNS / CNAME a different way, I went to my GoDaddy account to change it there.

The way my DNS records are set now is that the hosting company I use, uses Three A records, one CNAME. It also has two NS records

So when I signed up for VB Cloud, it asked to change the CNAME.
    I currently have two CNAME records, the one with www, I added the sub-domain that VB gave me to use

The question I had was do I change or delete the three A records ? I believe so, because nothing changed when they were still there.
    So I deleted them.
    Went to my Cloud dashboard and it seem to work ok, I just wasn't expecting that when i login I would see just a plan forum, then I remembered that I need to get my site done for migration.

But before I do all of that, I checked the information about CNAME changes again and it says that I need to do this with my current Hosting company through the CPanel

So my question are, do I change the CNAME at GoDaddy ? or my hosting Company ? or Both ?

Do I get rid of all the A records ? and the NS ?

When I change the CNAME record, what do I add ? I already have one as www, what about the ftp one ? leave it with an @ ?
    for Godaddy or the current hosting company ?

I had to put everything back the way it was, because I didn't think I was ready for the migration. So I want to make sure I have the right set up for the CNAME, then go from there,

Thanks
    Updating your CNAME record allows you to point your custom domain (e.g. myvbulletincloud.com) to the sub-domain assigned to your account. In order to do this you’ll
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

The CNAME needs to be changed at whoever the actual domain provider is. By the sounds of it this is GoDaddy in your case.
    You only add a CNAME record for the actual URL of your forum, nothing else.
    vBulletin cloud does not offer any ftp or email services so you would not touch these records.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• TravelTalk
      • Jun 2013
      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Mark.B
      The CNAME needs to be changed at whoever the actual domain provider is. By the sounds of it this is GoDaddy in your case.
      You only add a CNAME record for the actual URL of your forum, nothing else.
      vBulletin cloud does not offer any ftp or email services so you would not touch these records.
      Thanks Mark

I think my only mistake I made was not taking a free sub-domain through VB ( like Forum.mydomain.com ) that way i could point it to my domain as well.

Anyway, when i made my first attempt to change/add the CNAME from VB, the tech from GoDaddy had no clue if i needed to delete the three A records, or the NS.
      So first it didn't work right. I couldn't get the cloud to work, as the site was still being hosted on the old company.

GoDaddy tech said the CName was working but the A record wasn't, I asked if they should be deleted, they didn't no. lol
      So I figured I would try it anyway, once I deleted the A records, I went back to see if my new Cloud Forum admin would work and it did.

So that answers my question on deleting the A records, Not sure what to do with the NS records...... Delete them as well ?

Yes i saw someone else talking about the Email, I need to have my own system, and that VB cloud only provides a Outgoing email

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

You do not need to delete or edit the A records. We don't use them and you might need them for other services provided by GoDaddy. The A record should never point to our servers.

You shouldn't have to delete any records. If you delete the NS records than no computer in the world will be able to find your site or even redirect to your Cloud Forum via the CNAME.

GoDaddy can sell you an email only account that works with your Domain. https://www.godaddy.com/email/professional-email

I have my domain names with hover.com and they sell email addresses for as low as $5.00 per year.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• TravelTalk
          • Jun 2013
          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          You do not need to delete or edit the A records. We don't use them and you might need them for other services provided by GoDaddy. The A record should never point to our servers.

You shouldn't have to delete any records. If you delete the NS records than no computer in the world will be able to find your site or even redirect to your Cloud Forum via the CNAME.

GoDaddy can sell you an email only account that works with your Domain. https://www.godaddy.com/email/professional-email

I have my domain names with hover.com and they sell email addresses for as low as $5.00 per year.

Hi Wayne, thank you for the reply

So I'm guessing my mistake on thinking that ns31.domaincontrol.com ( NS ) is from my current hosting company, as I just googled it and it all shows it belongs to GoDaddy.

The only record I see that I must delete is the current A record I have on file with GoDaddy because all three are pointed to the current Hosting Company
          and since I do not need it for VB Cloud, no sense of having any A records.

Yes I already have an credit towards GoDaddy's email ( office 365 ) so my plan is to use that.

So if I have this all right now, these are my next steps ........

* Made a Back-up of my database to use for migration ( VB cloud techs will do this for me on request )

* Delete the three A Records in GoDaddy

* Have my VB cloud domain pointed in CNAME

* Request a Migration ( will my VB Skin be included ) ??

* Cancel my current Hosting company

Thank you

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            • Aug 2000

I am pretty sure that having an A Record is required for Web Access. It should simply point to GoDaddy's servers then the CNAME will come into affect and redirect the user to your Cloud site.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• TravelTalk
              • Jun 2013
              • 4.2.X

Hey Wayne, and Mark

So Slow poke here is back .... I'm going to try this all over again and hopefully VB support can help me if i make any mistake
              been paying for VB Cloud now for 7 months without using it, might as well start the new year right.

Wish me luck ;-)

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                • Aug 2000

Maybe these instructions will help - https://www.godaddy.com/help/add-a-cname-record-19236

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• TravelTalk
                  • Jun 2013
                  • 4.2.X

Thanks Wayne,

Yeah I have that part down, i'm just trying to figure out what to do with the A records, as I have three of them and all pointing to my Old Hosting company.

So here's a weird thing.

I go and do a google search for my site/forum. no Dot Com or anything, just by name.
                  The first thing that pops up is the Forum that VB Cloud is hosting, it really has nothing and it shows up with just the normal VB template

the other links show my sitemap breakdown, and each sub-forum with the words " your seo optimized title "
                  when you click any of those links, it brings you to the forum I built, with Logo and Skin, posts, etc

So depending on if you click on the first link in search, it will bring you to two different hostings

that's why I need to change those A records
                  then ask VB cloud for a migration of my back-up, so it shows my forum with Skin and Logo

I need to get ahold of someone at GoDaddy that knows what they are doing. lol

Comment

• TravelTalk
                    • Jun 2013
                    • 4.2.X

so just got off the phone with a GoDaddy support guy and he says if VB only needs the Cname, there's no need for any A records
                    I just deleted them, and i guess we will find out soon enough what happens

Comment

• In Omnibus
                      • Apr 2010

Originally posted by TravelTalk
                      so just got off the phone with a GoDaddy support guy and he says if VB only needs the Cname, there's no need for any A records
                      I just deleted them, and i guess we will find out soon enough what happens
                      The A records on GoDaddy should be @ and the IP address of the server. IIRC these autofill when you create a new CNAME record.

Comment

• TravelTalk
                        • Jun 2013
                        • 4.2.X

Originally posted by In Omnibus

The A records on GoDaddy should be @ and the IP address of the server. IIRC these autofill when you create a new CNAME record.
                        Not if you're using VB Cloud
                        they only use CName

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          • Aug 2000

It appears that your CNAME is working so we should consider this issue solved.

Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• TravelTalk
                            • Jun 2013
                            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                            It appears that your CNAME is working so we should consider this issue solved.
                            Thanks Wayne for all of your help

one small question, how to I request a migration ?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                              • Aug 2000

Please email [email protected] about migration.

Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...