Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Cloud] Can old forum folder be emptied?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Cloud] Can old forum folder be emptied?

Probably another silly question but I will ask any way to be on the safe side!

Before Cloud we had our own hosted 4.2.2 vB version. The folder it was in (/forum) is now redirecting to the new Cloud site and CNAME is set up etc. all working fine.

So ...... can the /forum folder be emptied of all the old 4.2.2 files and just sit as an empty folder redirecting? Or is there anything in there that is needed to make the redirections work?

Thanks

You shouldn't even need the folder there. You certainly don't need the contents.
    You might like to back them up before deleting, just in case you ever find there's something in there that you need, but it isn't going to affect your cloud install.
    MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.4.4 Demo
    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
      You shouldn't even need the folder there. You certainly don't need the contents.
      You might like to back them up before deleting, just in case you ever find there's something in there that you need, but it isn't going to affect your cloud install.
      Thanks Mark. I assumed the folder needed to still exist for it to be redirected.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsTiggywinkle View Post

Thanks Mark. I assumed the folder needed to still exist for it to be redirected.
        It shouldn't do. The CNAME record takes care of the redirection.

The only exception I can think of would be if the original URL of the forum was different to what it is now, and a redirect from old URL to new URL was done using an .htaccess file sat in the folder.
        MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.4.4 Demo
        AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post

It shouldn't do. The CNAME record takes care of the redirection.

The only exception I can think of would be if the original URL of the forum was different to what it is now, and a redirect from old URL to new URL was done using an .htaccess file sat in the folder.
          Thanks Mark.

The URL has always been on mysite/forum and is now redirecting to community.mysite.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by MrsTiggywinkle View Post

To redirect old bookmarks to the CNAME, you may or may not need the folder. Having the folder makes redirects easier for non-technical people. You can contact your hosting provider to make sure the old URL continues to redirect to the CNAME if you delete the folder.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
            vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
            I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post

To redirect old bookmarks to the CNAME, you may or may not need the folder. Having the folder makes redirects easier for non-technical people. You can contact your hosting provider to make sure the old URL continues to redirect to the CNAME if you delete the folder.
              OK thanks Wayne, I'll make sure before deleting the folder but at least I can get rid of all the files in there for now.

Comment

Yes. You can delete the files except any named .htaccess in the /forum directory.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
                vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                  Yes. You can delete the files except any named .htaccess in the /forum directory.
                  Thanks Wayne. I'm glad I asked because there is indeed a file named .htaccess in the /forum directory, it was created the day we moved to cloud and is the redirection.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X