Moving from vBCloud to the VB5 Connect Download product.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BirdOPrey5
    • Jul 2008

Moving from vBCloud to the VB5 Connect Download product.

The purpose of this topic is to document changes you will need to make if you are migrating from vBCloud to the download version of VB5 Connect. Experienced users can probably get by with just reading the Overview below. I have included greater detail below that for those new to vBulletin and vBCloud.

Before You Begin

If you have not yet begun first thing you need to do is secure web hosting, purchase your VB5 license, and also purchase a domain name if you are currently using a vbulletin.net domain.

Once all of these are obtained and configured you should go to your vBCloud forum, go to the Admin CP -> Settings -> Options -> Turn your vBulletin On and Off, and set the Site Active to No. In the note explain the site is moving and it may be offline temporarily for some time. Save changes.

Turning your forum off is required because if it is not turned off then you will loose any new posts and users that are created after the database backup is made.

So with the forums turned off now submit a support ticket in the Member's Area requesting a complete backup of your site for purposes of moving to the VB5 Download product OR simply go to the Member's Area and request a backup from the blue link on the right side under License Details & Options.

After your receive the backup you can continue with the instructions below or if you wish us to do the install you can purchase a Professional Upgrade/Install by going to Add-Ons after you have logged into the Customer Area at http://www.vbulletin.com/en/addons.html.

What to expect

You will download 3 zip files. One file includes the database, one file includes the avatars of your users, and the final file includes all other attachments.

Overview
    • The database must be unzipped and imported/restored onto your server. Your web host should be able to help you do this, it is very easy for them to turn the database file into a database.
    • Remove the IBAdmin Super Administrator (userid 1), make your own Admin account (userid 2) a Super Administrator in config.php
    • The avatars must be unzipped to a directory and Avatar File Path in vBulletin set to the new directory
    • The attachments must be unzipped to a directory and Attachment File path in vBulletin set to the new directory
    • You must set CSS files to served from the database
    • Setup SMTP Email
    • Perform some miscellaneous tasks
    • Once everything is working, make your first backup

You will need to upload the fresh set of vBulletin 5 files that you download from the Member's Area. You do not run the install.php OR upgrade.php script. Just download the same version of vBulletin as your vBCloud site was running when the backup was made. You should delete or remove the entire /install/ directory (inside /core/) before uploading.

You must rename the front end /config.php.bkp file to /config.php. Then you must open the /core/includes/config.php.new file and enter the correct database settings to point to the database that has been imported to your server. Then save this file as /core/includes/config.php (drop the .new at the end of the file.)

Admin Account Changes

All vBCloud sites have at least 2 Administrator accounts. Userid 1 is the user IBAdmin which is an account created for official VB support purposes. The vBCloud customer does not have access to this account while running on vBCloud, but after the site has been migrated away from vBCloud you should rename and definitely change the password of this account.

Userid 2 will be the original Administrator account created when you initially signed up for vBCloud.

In order to make Userid 2 a "Super Administrator" with the access necessary to do things like change the attachment file path you must once again edit the /core/includes/config.php file.

Find the line
    PHP Code:
    $config['SpecialUsers']['superadmins'] = '1'
    Note - it is set to 1 by default. You need to change this to 2. If you want both 1 and 2 to be Super-Administrators change it to
    PHP Code:
    $config['SpecialUsers']['superadmins'] = '1,2'
    We recommend just making 2 as the Super Administrator.

While in config.php look through the other settings, you may want to give User ID 2 more privileges such viewing the Admin log or running queries.

We would recommend you make only Userid 2 a Super Administrator, and remove all references to userid 1 from config.php and replace them with userid 2.

Then while logged in as you (Userid 2) go to Admin CP -> Users -> Search for Users, search for the user IBAdmin and on the user settings page you can rename the user by providing a new username. You should also provide a new, complex password and change the primary usergroup to Registered User. Then save changes. You can more or less ignore this account going forward. It will have no special permissions.

Debug Mode

Some of the settings you must change can only be done in Debug Mode. To enable Debug Mode (for the Admin CP) once again edit the /core/includes/config/php file.

Find the line:
    PHP Code:
    // $config['Misc']['debug'] = true; 
    And remove the // to make it:
    PHP Code:
    $config['Misc']['debug'] = true
    Save changes, upload the new file, and then load (or re-load) the Admin CP. It will not be immediately apparent you are in Debug Mode but you should be.

In Admin CP go to Settings -> Options -> Version Info and Other Untouchables (this is only visible in debug mode)
    Find the setting File Attachment Path and change it to the full system path to where you extracted your attachment directories. On most hosts this will be something like /home/username/attachment (assuming you created a folder called attachments in your main account folder.) Note the Attachments directory will usually hold sub-folders named 1, 2,3 .. and so on to 9.If you are not sure your system path you will need to ask your host for it.

Next, in the same place find the setting called Avatar File Path and again enter the new file path here. The path never ends in a slash, /.

Note- You should create a folder called customavatars within your /core/ directory and extract you avatar images into this directory.

Set the Avatar File Path to:
    Code:
    ./customavatars
    Set the Avatar URL to:
    Code:
    customavatars

Do not make any other changes this page. When done scroll to the bottom and save changes.

Test that attachments and avatars are working and then go back to the config.php file and turn off debug mode my undoing the change you made earlier. (Replace the // in front of the debug line.)

CSS Served from the Database

In the Admin CP -> Settings -> Options -> Style & Language Settings, find the setting - Store CSS Stylesheets as Files? and set it to No. Save changes.

This is because you will not have a copy of the css files after moving from vBCloud, so serve them from the database. You can change it back later if you wish.

SMTP Email Setup

When on vBCloud you have a choice of using your own SMTP account or using the default email services provided by vBulletin. If you supplied your own custom SMTP email details you may not need to make any changes. If however you were using the default email provider that will no longer work once you have left vBCloud. Instead we recommend you set up an SMTP email account, either with your web host (Often available via cpanel) or with an email provider such a Gmail. Whichever option you choose you must determine the SMTP server name or IP Address, your SMTP username (Often your email address but not always), your SMTP password (your email account password) the Port number of your SMTP server (varies) and whether or not it requires a secure protocol. Options are- None, SSL, or TLS. You provide this info to vBulletin in the Admin CP -> Settings -> Options -> Email Options. The SMTP settings are toward the bottom. Your other option is to turn off SMTP Email in Email Settings, this will send emails via a built in PHP script- but this is not recommended as many receiving servers block such email as spam.

Test and Backup

Once you have completes these steps your site should be running on your new host.

Test the site by registering a new user, make some new posts, make sure you upload photos and attachments, test old avatars are showing and upload a new avatar and make sure it works. Read some old topics and see if you can download attachments.Send a Private Message. Send a test email from the Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Email.

Once you are satisfied things appear to be working take a full backup of your site. Make sure you backup both your database and the file system where attachments and avatars are stored. Remember it is now your responsibility to make regular backups of your site. Do not rely on hosts who promise automatic backups. There can and have been sites lost by hosts who had their backups ruined. Even if you only do it every month it is far better to have an old backup than none at all.

Miscellaneous

-Update Image Library

Go to the Admin CP -> Settings -> Options -> Image Settings

Most users will want to make sure the GD library is chosen. The vast majority of servers, especially shared hosts, will have the GD image library already enabled for PHP. Advanced users may wish to use ImageMagick, if so you must provide the update path to it on your server.

-Update Smilie Path

This needs to be done while the Admin CP is still in debug mode.

Go to the Admin CP -> Settings -> Options -> Version Info and Other Untouchables (Safe)

Scroll to the bottom and fine the setting: Smilie Path Prefix and set it to be blank- erase whatever is there, it will be something like: smilies/0/0/1/7/3/1/. Just clear it and save changes.
    Last edited by Joshua Gonzales; Tue 29 Sep '20, 11:01am. Reason: Updating backup request
  • glennrocksvb
    Former vBulletin Developer
    • Mar 2011
    • 5.7.X

There are 2 important things that are missing/not working when you move from vBCloud to download product.

PHP Module
    This module is not in the vBCloud database backup since it is not allowed in vBCloud. But it should be in the download product. This module is missing in the download product. What I had to do was to manually insert the widget_php entry to the widget table via SQL query.

Code:
    INSERT INTO widget (widgetid, parentid, title, template, admintemplate, icon, isthirdparty, category, cloneable, canbemultiple, product, guid) VALUES
    (15, 1, '', 'widget_php', '', module-icon-php.png', 0, 'Generic', 0, 1, 'vbulletin', 'vbulletin-widget_15-4eb423cfd6bd63.20171439')
    Notes: Add table prefix as necessary. widgetid and parentid may be different for you. For parentid, see other records in the widget table, they are just the same. For widgetid, if 15 already exists in the table, use the next number to the existing highest widget id. If highest widget id is 63, use 64.

Header Ad
    Template syntax in Header Ad does not get parsed. The code appears as raw and unparsed.

Code:
    {vb:set name, 'World'}
    Hello, {vb:raw name}!
    I haven't figured out how to fix that yet. Paging vB support/devs...

EDIT: I finally figured out a way to make the template syntax in Header Ad working. If you do it via Sitebuilder, it will not work. But if you edit the ad_header template in AdminCP and save without changing anything, it will work. The ad_header is the actual template the Header Ad code would get saved to.
    Last edited by glennrocksvb; Wed 13 Jan '16, 2:13pm.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
      • Jul 2008

Seems like re-running the latest upgrade script might fix the PHP Module issue, might be helpful for the template issue too.

Comment

• Solange
        • Dec 2014
        • 5.1.x

Are these still the instruction for this?

You must rename the front end /config.php.bkp file to /config.php. Then you must open the /core/includes/config.php.new file and enter the correct database settings to point to the database that has been imported to your server. Then save this file as /core/includes/config.php (drop the .new at the end of the file.)
        I paid for a license but did not get front end /config.php.bkp or /core/includes/config.php.new. I received config.php.php and /core/includes/config_cli.php.new. This is frustrating after paying for the license and downloading the software. Is there anyone who can tell if they know of any reason why I would not have gotten these files. TIA
        Last edited by BirdOPrey5; Tue 6 Mar '18, 2:33am.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
          • Jul 2008

Yes still the instructions. You must download the VB5 Product from the Member's Area. There will be a link next to your VB5 license. You may need to Enter License Details but if that' already done the link will simply say Download vBulletin 5.

You download, unzip it onto your computer, then transfer the contents of the "Upload" folder to your server or web host.

Comment

• Solange
            • Dec 2014
            • 5.1.x

I am kind of white knuckling this. I changed the config file to Debug on the new server. Are the instructions below done on the new server or my cloud forum? I cannot find the below information anywhere. I am lost. TIA

[QUOTE] Save changes, upload the new file, and then load (or re-load) the Admin CP. It will not be immediately apparent you are in Debug Mode but you should be.

In Admin CP go to Settings -> Options -> Version Info and Other Untouchables (this is only visible in debug mode)
            Find the setting File Attachment Path and change it to the full system path to where you extracted your attachment directories. On most hosts this will be something like /home/username/attachment (assuming you created a folder called attachments in your main account folder.) Note the Attachments directory will usually hold sub-folders named 1, 2,3 .. and so on to 9.If you are not sure your system path you will need to ask your host for it.

Next, in the same place find the setting called Avatar File Path and again enter the new file path here. The path never ends in a slash, /.[QUOTE]

Comment

• glennrocksvb
              Former vBulletin Developer
              • Mar 2011
              • 5.7.X

All those instructions are for the new server. You can't do those in vBCloud anyway. Forget about your vBCloud forum. You're not doing anything on it anymore. It should be turned off by the time you're migrating to the new server. What you only have are the 3 zip files from your vBCloud forum. And what you're doing is migrating all those 3 files onto your new server.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• Solange
                • Dec 2014
                • 5.1.x

[QUOTE] Please, where do I find this? There is nothing like this on my new server. >In Admin CP go to Settings -> Options -> Version Info and Other Untouchables (this is only visible in debug mode)

Next, in the same place find the setting called Avatar File Path and again enter the new file path here. The path never ends in a slash, /.

Note- You should create a folder called customavatars within your /core/ directory and extract you avatar images into this directory.

Set the Avatar File Path to: Code:

./customavatars
                Set the Avatar URL to: Code:

customavatars

Do not make any other changes this page. When done scroll to the bottom and save changes. Scroll to the bottom of what page? How do I change these settings and paths for avatars and attachment files. Are they in a file such as a config. file? Is this on my new server? I cannot seem to find anywhere to change the paths or setting for these. Thank you in advance.

Test that attachments and avatars are working and then go back to the config.php file and turn off debug mode my undoing the change you made earlier. (Replace the // in front of the debug line.)[QUOTE]

Comment

• Mark.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  • Feb 2004
                  • 6.0.X

Please follow the instructions precisely, step by step, making sure you cover every single step *exactly*. You will be on the correct page when you have completed them.
                  You need to have your site in debug mode - it is nothing to do with what server you are on. You will need to follow these instructions first to put the site into debug mode:

Debug mode is useful for development purposes- it is required if you will be creating VB5 Modifications you intend to distribute for others to download. However it is also useful for trouble-shooting issues with your site as debug mode often provides more specific error messages when something goes wrong- as such if you are
                  MARK.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  ------------
                  My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                  My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Solange
                    Solange commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I changed the two files and put them in debug mode. I went into my cloud forum and into my Admin CP and the following does not exist in there : [QUOTE] In Admin CP go to Settings -> Options -> Version Info and Other Untouchables (this is only visible in debug mode) [QUOTE]

These instructions are how to change to debug in vb5. My forum is on vB Cloud, so I have no way to make these changes in my Admin CP. I'm confused.
                    Last edited by Solange; Sun 13 Mar '16, 6:11pm.

• glennrocksvb
                    glennrocksvb commented
                    Editing a comment
                    As I mentioned, you should not be working on your vBCloud anymore after they gave you the 3 files. You will lose access to it or it will be shut off soon (if not already). If you enable debug mode on your new server, then you should login to the AdminCP of that new server, not the vBCloud.
                • Solange
                  • Dec 2014
                  • 5.1.x

Okay, so my old forum will open up in my new vbulletin server but will no longer be on cloud. I am still paying my cloud prescription. I am slow at this I guess. Because I bought the license I should download the file and then upload it again to vBulletin and my Admin CP will change. Is this what I am missing. Thank yo.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                    • Jul 2008

After you doenload the backup of your vBCloud site you never need go back to your vBCloud site. I would suggest you make sure the import works first before cancelling the Cloud account but in theory once you've downloaded the backup the Cloud site is no longer needed.

Comment

• Solange
                      Solange commented
                      Editing a comment
                      How can I make sure the import is working? Thank you.
                  • Solange
                    • Dec 2014
                    • 5.1.x

In Admin CP go to Settings -> Options -> Version Info and Other Untouchables
                    Can you tell me where to find this, as my Admin CP on my new server looks nothing like the Admin CP on Cloud. Is this a file or is it suppose to be in my new Admin CP on the new server? Thank you
                    Last edited by BirdOPrey5; Tue 15 Mar '16, 6:39am.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                      • Jul 2008

Hello,

The Admin CP is whatever your forum url is then add /admincp

Like for this site it is www.vbulletin.com/forum/admincp/

(Although we have htaccess password protection so you can't tell it's the admincp without the password)

It shouldn't look that different, can you post a screenshot of what yours looks like?

Comment

• Nintenex
                        • Oct 2016
                        • 5.2.x

this is one of those threads im going to have to keep open for some time. ive never been good with codes so this should be interesting!! XD

Comment

• zkengle
                          • Aug 2019
                          • 5.7.X

This thread is about 4 years old, so I'm wondering if its still the most current and accurate. I'm finding limitations to the cloud-based forum, that it seems hosting on our own server would solve.
                          Vote for Features!!
                          * Member Lists in Groups *
                          * Mass Private Messages to Groups and Usergroups *

Comment