X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doron
    • Apr 2000

cihost or site5?

Anyone have experience with cihost and vb? They have a niffty new promotion deal, and was wondering if it is too good to be true.

Thanks
  • Rick Horwitz
    • Apr 2000
    • 3.8.x

I tried CIHOST with vB for one week and got my money back. They couldn't keep their mySQL server running for more than 5 minutes at a time. I was on two different machines in that week and neither was working properly.

My board works great now that I'm on a good server.

Comment

• JimF
      • May 2000

I have one site on Site5, and I am not impressed. Granted, it is not running vBulletin, but the general responsiveness of the site is much slower than that of the host of my vB, FutureQuest.

I strongly urge you to check them out: http://www.FutureQuest.net

They don't give you as much for your money as some "other" hosts, but they make up for it in their technical support and responsiveness. "Trouble Ticket" is a 4-letter word with them.

I had the opportunity to have my site hosted for free, but opted against it because I feared lacking the technical support of FutureQuest. Between their e-mail support, Automated Help Desk, and Community Forums, you can solve any problem virtually instantaneously. I have never waited for more than 24 hours for a response and/or solution.

They may not give you 100MB of storage, but trust me: IT IS WELL WORTH IT!! I wouldn't recommend any other host. Plus my server ahs had 99.9% uptime the past two months, the only downtime occuring with system upgrades, which they warned me about beforehand.

If you care about your site and your visitors, I would strongly suggest contacting them ASAP.

I still haven't talked to a single HUMAN at Site5... funny, isn't it?!?

Comment

• Dragon
        • May 2000

CIHost blows chunks. Trust me.

Comment

• Shoe
          • May 2000

I was with this company for 3 days and dropped them. They are very bad in terms of technical support and insulting in the way they treat users. Go elsewhere!
          "The best time to sleep is just before waking up."

--Shoebuddy Jones

Comment

• Nutcase
            • May 2000

Site5 rules!!

Having used both cihost and site5, I strongly reccomend site5. They give you TONS for the money (500mb, 20gb transfer, 5dbs, etc) and are expandible cheaply.

Their support is ridiculously good. I have had some serious issues with the server & vB, but they have been with me every step of the way sorting them out. Now vB runs fine on their servers.

I really dont have much to complain about. their network connection is being switched from 1 oc3 to 4 ds3's on 4 different networks, for redundancy. Unfortunately, this has lead to some downtime recently as the connections switch, etc... The downtime is sporatic and brief. It should stop completely by the end of the week. I will let you know then my final verdict.

Comment

• JimF
              • May 2000

Ever notice how their "support forums" are password protected? Wanna know why? Because there is NO SUPPORT THERE. I haven't spoken to, or communicated with, a human once in the month I've had a site there.

Comment

• rjav8r

Thanks for the recommendation

JimF.

Just went to futurequest and I'm very impressed, like the speed of your site. Tell them they've got a Platinum service member on the way If you can geta discount for your service I'd be happy to plug your reference when I sign up .

Comment

• Nutcase
                  • May 2000

support forums at site5

you are absolutely right... the site5 support forums are a ghost town. Wanna know why? because they arent needed. When i have a problem i chat with their tech support guy via ICQ and get it solved then and there. If that isnt possible, the helpdesk is actively monitored, and ususally gets solved fast. But it doesnt get any better than firing off an icq to the support guy, and getting a message back in 5 minutes saying "fixed" or answering the question.

Comment

• doron
                    • Apr 2000

how's site5's speed and reliability? Support I heard is good, it's the tech stuff I am more isnterested in.

Comment

• JimF
                      • May 2000

Re: Thanks for the recommendation

Originally posted by rjav8r
                      JimF.

Just went to futurequest and I'm very impressed, like the speed of your site. Tell them they've got a Platinum service member on the way If you can geta discount for your service I'd be happy to plug your reference when I sign up .
                      Hey, no problem. I'm sure you will be very happy there, as I have been, and will continue to be. I promise you that you will not be disappointed. I don't get any perks for the reference, except for the satisfaction that I have helped them out (ask Brian about that one...).

I'll see you over on the FQ forums!

Comment

• Nutcase
                        • May 2000

speed & reliability

Doron:

The speed at site5 seems fine with me. Everything we have loads quickly at 56k, and the sql is plenty fast. It is more than adequate for our needs (at this point).

I would point you to our site, but we are currently using it as a dev server only (until our new stuff is ready, when we will switch the domain...)

I would suggest you find others on site5 and check out their site... I know Mafukie is on site5 but dont know the url....

As far as reliablility, I cannot give you a straight answer. Over the past few weeks, I have had crazy downtime. The server I was on wasnt adequately cooled, and the motherboard burned up. They rebuilt it immediately into a case w/ 6 fans, a new mobo, 2 new processors, 712mb of ram, etc... the only thing the same was the harddrive. Because of all that downtime, they refunded the entire months charge for everyone on that server.

Other downtime has been very sporatic, and very brief, as the site where the servers are hosted has updated its connection from a single OC3 to four ds3's (pointing at different backbones) so its link would be redundant.

Over the past 5 days ALL downtime has stopped, and the server has been great. I expect the trend to continue, but i am not 100% sure the network stuff is done (I havent asked matt... the tech support dude)

As I am only using it as a dev server at the moment, I agreed to alpha test their new control panel (out in a week or two) - It is impressive.... it does just about everything... or will when it goes live. So that is something to look forward to.

I am happy with site5, and the few problems i have had have been more than made up for by the support. I suggest you try it, and if you don't like it, you have 30 days with no obligation, and you will get a full refund. And you can't beat their pricing.

Comment

• Susan
                          • May 2000

It's good to hear that Site5 is improving on their uptime!! When we were there, we were down at least 2 hours a day almost every day from the end of February until the end of April. The longest we went with no significant downtime was 7 days in late March which kept us there for another month. The tech support is wonderful. I can't say enough good things about Matt...I'd ask him to marry me if I wasn't already married. Seriously...he went above and beyond the call of duty many times and will still answer a "Hey Matt, I have a question." ICQ from me. (He took me by the hand into telnet and told me what to do once I got there!!) I think my negative Karma fried the server. I hated that thing with a passion. It caused me more grief than any machine in my life. If that server can stay up for a month or so straight, I would feel great about recommending them. You for sure can't beat the price!

Susan
                          The Signatureless

Susan

[Edited by Susan on 06-08-2000 at 04:59 PM]

Comment

• TechTalk
                            • Jul 2000

Well I have been with cihost now for 2 years on 3 of my websites and I have no complaints......

Comment

• Dragon
                              • May 2000

Even last December? You must have the patience of a saint.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...