Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr. X
    • May 2001

Cheap webhosts w/telnet access?

We're moving our forums from hostrocket to another (HR has actually been good but for reasons I wont bother getting into we need something cheaper), and while there seems to be some good choices, like lunarpages, powweb, ipowerweb etc, one thing I notice is that none offer telnet/ssh like HR does. This worries me as I dont trust cpanel/phpmyadmin to migrate our vB database over. I'm used to telnet for backup/restoration, so we really need a host that offers that but so far I cant find any comparable host to HR's basic plan thats cheaper and offers telnet.
    forums: pcfx.cc
    gallery: here
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

remember to look for either telnet or SSH as ssh is just a secure form of telnet

good luck with your search

Comment

• infotech
      • Jun 2003

I know www.newtechage.com will do this but you have to ask them.

Comment

• Joshs
        • Jan 2001

Would SSH be acceptable?

Comment

• Mr. X
          • May 2001

Yeah, I shoulda included SSH, thats fine too. Thats what we use on HR anyway. After looking around for alternatives we *might* stick with HR, they've actually been very good the last couple of months with no major issues, so if we cant find another alternative for a few bucks cheaper we might just stay. That'd be the best but again I'm not the one behind the bills, I just run the forum and stuff .

It doesnt surprise me why these other hosts that offer such low prices dont allow ssh/telnet or more than 1 mysql DB though so perhaps its wishful thinking, but ya never know.

Comment

• Joshs
            • Jan 2001

What specifications do you require (storage, transfer, etc)?

Comment

• Mr. X
              • May 2001

Basically most of what HR's basic plan already has, but the basics:

Linux/UNIX/BSD server
              Domain pointers/subdomains at no extra charge (within reasonable limits, i.e. not 100 subdomains etc).
              mySQL (at least 2 db's)
              telnet/SSH access
              300 or more mb of space
              10+ min pop3 email with webmail access
              10-15gb transfer minimum
              PHP (GD2 or ImageMagik installed as well if possible)
              phpmyadmin
              Cpanel, Ensim, whatever works.

Comment

• MyIce
                • Oct 2001

go with f5hosting.com
                They are the best webhost you could have.
                I have been with them for 2 + years now and they have been the most helpful people ever. Always helping me with any issues and problems that I have.
                Yes they also offer everything you were looking for in a host...
                www.texasatvs.com

Comment

• WichitaRacing
                  • Sep 2003
                  • 3.6.x

I've noticed that most companies don't necessarily list telnet/ssh in their packages, but when contaced say they will enable it if neeeded, usually requiring some kind of ID confirmation for security.

Comment

• Joshs
                    • Jan 2001

Originally posted by WichitaRacing
                    I've noticed that most companies don't necessarily list telnet/ssh in their packages, but when contaced say they will enable it if neeeded, usually requiring some kind of ID confirmation for security.
                    If I were in the customer's shoes I wouldn't trust a host that does not do this -- it is a risk to both the customer and the host. Imagine many people signing up and openly getting ssh; a host as such would be a target for hackers and people looking to launch an attack. It is always a rule of thumb to cover your backs whenever possible.

Comment

• Inland Mike
                      • Sep 2003

i wouldn't use ant host that allows you ssh or telnet. There are two many security holes behind control panels like cPanel and Plesk and the like. Ask your host to do db dumps for you. It should be included as a free service. Only time SSH is acceptable with a host is if they are giving you a shell account. Hosts that offer SSH are under the too good to be true as they want to get you as a customer and care less about a customers security. Ask the quality hosts active on this board. They will all tell you no way.

Comment

• Zachery
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • Jul 2002

i dont belive that for a second, in my epxirences a host will only give SSH access when needed ( a good host that is)

Comment

• SaintDog
                          • Nov 2001
                          • 3.5.x

Providing SSH access to a client in need is not presenting a security risk. If you are using CPanel, you can see what is going on and where by viewing the top stats either in SSH as root or in WHM. I find it hard to believe that providing clients with SSH is asking for trouble or opening up your server. Providing it with account setup may be a bit far, as most hosts do not, though allowing temporary access to get a job done such as dumping a database is not what I honestly call a security risk at all.

Attacks can be forced in SSH but they can be forced in many other ways as well (ping, traces, ect). Do you really want to shut off total access to your server and risk losing clients when allowing a single option is not placing you in jeopardy? Jail-Shell is released as well, which further-more restricts what can be done, when in doubt, use it.

Comment

• Tony G
                            • Dec 2003

See if http://www.tg-webspace.co.uk is any good. They are the cheapest I have seen on the web.

Good luck otherwise

Comment

• Joshs
                              • Jan 2001

Originally posted by SaintDog
                              Providing SSH access to a client in need is not presenting a security risk. If you are using CPanel, you can see what is going on and where by viewing the top stats either in SSH as root or in WHM. I find it hard to believe that providing clients with SSH is asking for trouble or opening up your server. Providing it with account setup may be a bit far, as most hosts do not, though allowing temporary access to get a job done such as dumping a database is not what I honestly call a security risk at all.

Attacks can be forced in SSH but they can be forced in many other ways as well (ping, traces, ect). Do you really want to shut off total access to your server and risk losing clients when allowing a single option is not placing you in jeopardy? Jail-Shell is released as well, which further-more restricts what can be done, when in doubt, use it.
                              I honestly will not jepordize any of my server's security -- keeps my company safe, myself safe, and my customers safe. Many attacks are launched from SSH; there have been security issues in the past whereas a user with shell could gain root access by running a file, etc. My company asks new customers to provide a valid and acceptable U.S. drivers license. Loyal customers may be handled different (ie: customers greater than 6 months old). I cannot tell you how many times cPanel has had access issues with jailed shell and it not really keeping the users in their jail cell in the past (it may be fixed now, but has been a risk). All customers that request shell must state what they intend to use it for and will be monitored. Not offering shell by default also keeps away the script kiddies and those that go from host to host looking to SPAM and launch attacks. One of my reseller customer's dedicated servers (unmanaged) had a customer of his on it that had shell access. Lets just say a 30mbps network attack is not cool...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...