Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • M. Libbert
    • Aug 2000

How high end of a machine do you need to run vBulletin

The reason I ask is because www.burst.net is running a special where you can get either a 400 cough, cough celeron with IDE for $99 per-month or a 400 celeron for $129 per-month with SSCI. I realize I would have to upgrade the ram (recommendations on how much would be appreciated) and come up with some type of back-up system. Do you think this type of system would be powerful enough to do the job, or do you think it would be like trying to cut your yard with a pair of fingernail clippers?

My Vb averages around 30 people online at a time but has wild spikes where 150 or so people try to get on at one time killing it on my shared account. We do about 250,000 –300,000-page views per-month. When my main competitor goes down with server problems (hi Geoff) we usually fall within 20 minutes because we can’t handle the influx of people. Does anyone else run his or her vB on a similar machine?
    The DVD Coupon Post
  • Joe
    • May 2000

Before you go with Burst.net, check with RackLocation.Com, Im getting a dedicated PIII 600, 512meg ram, 10gig ide HD, 15gig transfer, $159 a month. You can get the same specs with just 128meg ram for $99/month.

As for server specs, from what i understand, the main thing is ram. Also, from what i have read in these forums, you can handle about 30 concurrent users with 128meg ram, 100 concurrent users with 256meg, and 200 concurrent users wtih 512meg of ram. This does however depend on your other server specs, and what else is running on the server. v2 may allow more concurrent members with less ram, as it has been optimized even more then 1.1X versions, Also, the less features you use on your forums, the less resources it will take up.

Hope thats a start, if my numbers are way off, im sure somebody else will post there opinion
    Bike Forums.net

Comment

• Joe
      • May 2000

The burst.net deal isnt all that great...

Special Offer #1 Details:
      * Minimum 6 month contract length.
      * $149.95 per month after 3 months.
      * Limited time offer.
      * $4/GB for extra bandwidth.
      * Available with Red Hat Linux™ only.
      * Available to new signups only.

Im not sure if i would pay $150 for a celeron 400 with 64meg of ram when you can get a PIII 600 w/ 512meg ram, 4gig more space, and 5gig more transfer for $8 more a month, no contract... Anyhow, just thought id share my tanted opinion
      Bike Forums.net

Comment

• M. Libbert
        • Aug 2000

Here are my thoughts; I need to lean more towards a managed dedicated server rather than an unmanaged one because of my beginner’s skill level. I would be delighted if I could find a host that was willing to help me get set- up initially. (One that would move my vB for me and upgrade to the php4 version at the same time.) I am open to any and all suggestions though.
        The DVD Coupon Post

Comment

• Joe
          • May 2000

Im in the same boat as you, I talked to the guys at RackLocation, and they said they would setup MySQL and PHP on teh server for me, i think that offer still stands. You may want to try there human click (?) real time chat on there website, and ask if they would help you setup your server.

As for moving the vB database, from what i understand, this is very simple to do. But i havent done it myself yet
          Bike Forums.net

Comment

• M. Libbert
            • Aug 2000

Does Rack Location have control panal based administration. That is what I like about the VDI based hosts.
            The DVD Coupon Post

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...