Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LVDogma
    • Jul 2003

Need a host in the next 24 hours.

I've seen far too many recommendations to filter through them all so I went with two companies that are actively participating in this forum.

www.theforumhost.com and www.venturesonline.com

The forum host has a pre-buy forum, much like this site. Sadly ventures did not seem to have one. So anyway I sent both companies a request via sales@companyname

...however being a forum junkie myself I figured I would use this area to cover all the bases.

Anyway on to my story;

I suddenly found myself needing a forum and as I was familiar with Vbulletin I picked it up. I bought the software about 45 minutes ago and am looking for a host.

A friend and admin of a VB site www.tzlv.net is only familiar with dedicated servers and recommended I use the same. He suggested www.serverbeach.com and to try the $99/mo plan.

Well as it turns out I most certainly do not need a dedicated server. The forums will be a start up, with no pre-existing community. It's for a new MMPRPG and its user base will be similar to a typical gaming clan forum but perhaps larger.

I can't imagine getting more than 200 active members on this site ever. We have no need for email and where as I want the option to host files I can't possibly think of any that will be hosted.

The site will be 80% text and 20% .jpg, with Vb's small size, I know for fact data storage won't be an issue. However...

...this is a very popular game and so few sites exist, just about every user that becomes aware of it will look at this fan site at least once. So! I have no idea what sort of bandwidth issues I may have.

This is a situation where I need the low-end package on a monthly basis that I can upgrade on the fly.

As soon as I get access to download that VB software I am picking a host so a prompt response would be keen.

So not only do I need to find a host, I need to find a clue! I have no idea what package would be best for me. Let alone service.

Also I need to register a domain name and several of the ones I am considering only offer name.info or name.countrycode would that be an issue with your hosts you guys use?

Thanks folks,
    Terry
    [email protected]
  • MBloom
    • Dec 2002

Don't know what you are looking to spend, but I've had very good success with f5 hosting and the number of users I have is similar to your expected numbers. They are very responsive and have just upgraded all their servers. Here's the link for their hosting plans. http://www.f5hosting.com/plans.php

Comment

• ventrue21
      • Apr 2003

try enterprisedigital.net

Comment

• vB3Dev.Com

Web Hosting pricing starts at $1.95/month and includes access to our Support Center, Affiliate Program, and more.

Comment

• Chaotic Reality
          • May 2003

I use domainmonger.com for my domain registrar.

J.

Comment

• walter
            • May 2001
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by LVDogma
            The forum host has a pre-buy forum, much like this site. Sadly ventures did not seem to have one.
            You can find it at http://www.venturesonline.com/forums
            More than 10 years experience in building communities!
            Consulting for migration, import, newsletter delivery, stats, adserver, choosing the right software.

Comment

• TalkMilitary
              • Mar 2003

www.godaddy.com is worth looking at for registering a domain.

Since your forum is a start-up, in your pre-sales questions, ask the hosts how they handle an upgrade to a different plan. Many will allow you to upgrade with no fee, other than the monthly plan costs. No sense starting out with a bigger plan than you will need, if you can avoid it.
              Glenn

Comment

• I, Brian
                • Feb 2003
                • 3.6.x

I've got sites with a number of hosts. I've had a few small issues with VenturesOnline, but their support is really very good. Ventures absolutely refuse to allow people to post problems with servers, so do be aware that their forums are neither support forums, nor do they show the serious technical issues that other hosting forums may show. But, I'm still happy with them now we ironed out a few small issues.

I'm in the process of starting up a vBulletin at http://www.unitedhosting.co.uk - and, really, their support is beyond compare. Their support forums are likely in public view, and worth a look, and there's a pre-sales forum, too. Servers are hosted in Texas, with support in UK real time.

Another host I've had good support with are http://www.akashik.net, though they do not have support forums as you requested.

Comment

• TalkMilitary
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by I, Brian
                  I've got sites with a number of hosts. I've had a few small issues with VenturesOnline, but their support is really very good. Ventures absolutely refuse to allow people to post problems with servers, so do be aware that their forums are neither support forums, nor do they show the serious technical issues that other hosting forums may show. But, I'm still happy with them now we ironed out a few small issues.

I'm in the process of starting up a vBulletin at http://www.unitedhosting.co.uk - and, really, their support is beyond compare. Their support forums are likely in public view, and worth a look, and there's a pre-sales forum, too. Servers are hosted in Texas, with support in UK real time.

Another host I've had good support with are http://www.akashik.net, though they do not have support forums as you requested.
                  I talk with Matt (co-owner of Unitedhosting.co.uk) on an almost daily basis. Though I do not use their services, I know Matt is committed to great service and support. I would highly reccomend them.
                  Glenn

Comment

• Floris
                    • Dec 2001

I have good experience with venturesonline.com and sirenhost.co.uk - so far, no problems !

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...