Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nutcase
    • May 2000

vBulletin on site5?

Anyone gotten vBulletin to install and run successfully on site5? They are really treating me well, and everything else is great, but vB won't work.

They are planning to upgrade from php4 rc1 to php4 rc2 really soon to try and knock out any possible php side bugs... but there are obviously no guarantees.

Anyway, if anyone knows how to fix my forums, please let me know.. Thanks!
  • Susan
    • May 2000

Nutcase, all I can say is good bloody luck. I played with the code for a FULL DAY and couldn't get it running right. I kept running in to blank posts...it's something to do with the way mySQL and PHP pushes the info out of the database...sometimes it will/most of the time it won't. I sat in ICQ with Matt for over 3 hours the other night and he watched the server from root as I imported all my UBB posts into the mySQL database. He said the info is there, it just isn't getting put out into the posts reliably. I was ready to scream by the time we were done. We're finished with site5, however, webhosts don't live by good/reasonably helpful/very friendly tech support alone...you have to have the uptime and with site5 we saw more downtime in two months than the site's seen in 2 years. It's a pitty...I heard such good things about site5 before we moved there, but I'm certain that someone needs to take the area51 server out back and shoot it and put it out of its misery. Oh dear, this has turned into a rant, hasn't it? Pardon me.

In answer to your questions:
    No. We haven't gotten it to work on site5
    and according to their support, they installed the new PHP this morning and it still doesn't work.

Susan

Comment

• JimF
      • May 2000

Thank you Susan!!

I am extremely happy on my current host, but was considering moving to site5 for cost/speed issues. Up until now I've only heard good things, and I have a 100% approval policy when it comes to hosts. You just saved me months of agony!!

I don't know how to thank you!

Comment

• Nutcase
        • May 2000

Hmm...

They did install the new php today, and no, it still doesnt work. As far as downtime, I havent seen any. Its a given I have only been there a few days, but it seems ok.

The customer support is amazing at this place.

As far as the way sql pushes and pulls data... is that the servers fault? or is that related to sql, php, or vbulletin?

Anyway... I am still in my 30day trial period, so if we cant get everything going good by the end of it, I will probably cancel. I will hate to do that though, because I really like the server. John said he would help me this weekend, so maybe between Matt, John and I, we can get this thing sorted out....

I will let you guys know what happens....

Comment

• Mafukie
          • Apr 2000

Hi!

When you install VBulletin on Site5.com leave the IP to localhost

and make sure you use the correct database name.

(E.G.) dbname_real
          not just dbname

If you need help installing VBulletin on Site5 Email me at [email protected]

BTW if you use VBulletin 1.1.2 beta on Site5.com the ShowThread.php won't work.

Bye!

Comment

• Kathy
            • May 2000
            • 3.8.x

Well, here is the scoop...Susan and I are a team on a website...so I'm with her when we talk abou site5. Love the tech guy. He's a pal and VERY helpful...but the hardward stinks.

We did attempt to install VB on site5 and couldn't get it to work. In the midst of server down time, email forwarding problems and frustration over the mix, we signed up for dids.com.

We moved the entire site over to the new server including UBB and installed VB. Within a small amount of time we had VB up and running with our imported UBB posts and threads and all members. It ran perfectly....the same "everything" that we had on site5....that wouldn't run the VB was running with perfection on dids.com.

I regret that site5.com's hardward issue (and some of the programs, perhaps with bugs?) caused us such a frustrating 2 months so that we can't suggest you use them for a webhost. We do hope that within a short time they will have a server that is reliable and runs...."area51" should be shot (like Susan said) and put out of its misery....

I can't recommend Matt, the tech guy, enough though. He even helped us move to our new server. Now THAT is service. (Kudos to Matt, BooHiss to area51)

BTW< we took out 80+mg UBB of 6 weeks worth of posts....(losing the money we invested in it, but WORTH losing...) and turned it into a 16 mb database. Is that cool or what??
            Fan Club member for VBulletin Dev and Support Team ;)

Hysterectomy - GirlsGetGoing.com - Fabulous Fifty

I'm frequently asked about the skin designer for my forums. ForumSkin.com

Comment

• Craig A
              • Apr 2000

Originally posted by Mafukie
              When you install VBulletin on Site5.com leave the IP to localhost

and make sure you use the correct database name.

(E.G.) dbname_real
              not just dbname

If you need help installing VBulletin on Site5 Email me at [email protected]

BTW if you use VBulletin 1.1.2 beta on Site5.com the ShowThread.php won't work.

Bye!
              Could you take a peek at http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...=4117#post4117 ?

Comment

• Mafukie
                • Apr 2000

seems like you typed in your SQL databasename in wrong

Comment

• Craig A
                  • Apr 2000

So I figured. How do I find out what it is ? As I said, i'm new to all of this, so sorry if that's a stupid question!

Comment

• JimF
                    • May 2000

Craig, why did you decide to leave FQ?

Comment

• Mafukie
                      • Apr 2000

Craig.

if you want ICQ me at 33149175 it would be allot easier.

Comment

• Craig A
                        • Apr 2000

Craig, why did you decide to leave FQ?
                        Because they were unable to host my setup and were not prepared in the slightest to help me to correct the situation - neither by telling me exactly which scripts were using to much CPU, or by telling me how I would know - ie what the limit was. It was a case of, 'we don't have time to go into this - you'll have to hire a programmer', that's fine, but how the hell would a programmer know what was acceptable, and what was not, if they're not even prepared to tell us ?! The whole thing was silly, so I told them to shove the 10 Tenths account. I still host a static HTML site there though, and they seem to be able to handle that OK, but i'd never recommend them to anyone else again

if you want ICQ me at 33149175 it would be allot easier.
                        Unfortunately I don't have ICQ. Can't you help me ? Maybe there's someone else here who knows what i'm doing wrong ? PLEASE!

Comment

• Mafukie
                          • Apr 2000

hmm...

ok... I will try again to help you.

What you do is login your site admin for site 5, go into SQL Database,

Delete all the accounts you have made (unless you are using one with a different script)

Add a database called forum

Then a username with your own personal preferences....

After you create both, click the Add User to Db then it will give you what the name of the SQL database is and the Username

Mine is:

realgame_mafukie
                          realgame_forum

mafukie is what I used as my username and forum is what I used for my database name.

I can't be more descriptive than that, and I hope it works for you now.

Note: Remember to use localhost as the IP address.

Comment

• Craig A
                            • Apr 2000

Thanks for running through it like that for me. As I said, i'm a novice here, so I didn't realise I had to setup my own database and username manually (I saw something in the VB install manual about it being created automatically if it didn't already exist.)

Anyway, I added the database, 'forum', and the username, 'Craig1'. This gave me the following information:

Databases
                            tentent_forum

Users in tentent_forum
                            ten-tent_Craig1
                            I then amended my config.php file as follows:

<?php

// only mysql is supported at the moment
                            $dbservertype="mysql";
                            // hostname or ip of server
                            $servername="localhost";
                            // username and password to log onto db server
                            $dbusername="ten-tent_Craig1";
                            $dbpassword="******";
                            // name of database
                            $dbname="tentent_forum";

?>
                            However, this gives the following results:

Attempting to connect...

Warning: Access denied for user: 'ten-tent_Craig1@localhost' (Using password: YES) in db_mysql.php on line 31

Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in db_mysql.php on line 37
                            Any ideas what i'm doing wrong now ? Have I set config.php correctly ? Any steps I may have missed ? I'd pay to have this thing installed, but there's no point as i'd only get stuck next time then Please help!

[Edited by Craig Antill on 05-20-2000 at 08:03 PM]

Comment

• Mafukie
                              • Apr 2000

here..

Databases
                              tentent_forum

Users in tentent_forum
                              ten-tent_Craig1
                              tentent
                              and
                              ten-tent
                              are two different things...

try tentent instead of ten-tent

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...