Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gary King
    • Feb 2002

thinking of going dedicated already ... =O

lol, I guess the topic caught your attention there ?? if not.. then i guess you're really interested in helping me out here

anyways, here's basically my position [and before you say anything, NO, I don't have a vB license yet, but going to get one soon enough ] :
    • I am expecting a large number of members for my board once it's up, maybe about 2,500 in the first week or so
    • since my board will probably end up with a large number of members [although Im not entirely sure about how many], i'm already thinking about a dedicated server

my question is this: would it be smart to already go dedicated from the beginning ? or should I begin with virtual hosting, and then move up the ladder ??

so here's a quick description of where I am ATM, and if you need any more information, then I'll be glad to talk
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Boy, you've been at this 'going to get one soon enough' point for quite some time now!

The overall number of members isn't as important as the number yoyu expect to be on the board concurrently. Even this will depend on your web host, but if you regularly expect to have more than 40 members online at once, then you should definitely going to a dedicated server.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• George L
      Former vBulletin Support
      • May 2000
      • 3.8.x

Re: thinking of going dedicated already ... =O

Originally posted by Blak n Wite
      lol, I guess the topic caught your attention there ?? if not.. then i guess you're really interested in helping me out here

anyways, here's basically my position [and before you say anything, NO, I don't have a vB license yet, but going to get one soon enough ] :
      • I am expecting a large number of members for my board once it's up, maybe about 2,500 in the first week or so
      • since my board will probably end up with a large number of members [although Im not entirely sure about how many], i'm already thinking about a dedicated server

my question is this: would it be smart to already go dedicated from the beginning ? or should I begin with virtual hosting, and then move up the ladder ??

so here's a quick description of where I am ATM, and if you need any more information, then I'll be glad to talk
      i went dedicated even before i decided on which forum software to use...

i was 110% certain my forum will be very active since i would be using my forums for all my sites so that all my own sites (which back then had ~250,000 visitors/month) promoted the 1 forum

first few months had 20 - 50 new members/day and upto 2,500 posts/day and 70 to 100 users online - member dropped once i implemented a banning policy on free email domains and when i closed new member regos for 2 - 4 months at a time on several ocassions (needed to do this to control the rapid growth of my forums and my costs)

i just reopened new member regos after 6 weeks of disabling regos and i'm getting 20 - 50 new regos/day again but now with 200 - 500+ users online and 480,000 visitors on my sites promoting the forums.

so yes, go dedicated if you have the money and are 100% certain of rapid forum growth

or go with a web host who has plans which allow you to move to a dedicated server easily and quickly when needed.
      :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
      :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
      :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• steven
        • Jun 2000

I think that before you make any sort of decision, you must understand that you will have to admin the server. Do you know how to do that, as it is not always the easiest thing in the world, like upgrading kernels, upgrading php, or searching through logs, etc.. just know what you are getting yourself into when making this decision.

-Steven

Comment

• walter
          • May 2001
          • 3.8.x

Re: Re: thinking of going dedicated already ... =O

Originally posted by eva2000
          go with a web host who has plans which allow you to move to a dedicated server easily and quickly when needed.
          That's definitely the most important!
          BTW: wow! So many members in the first week, that would be rather impressive!
          More than 10 years experience in building communities!
          Consulting for migration, import, newsletter delivery, stats, adserver, choosing the right software.

Comment

• Gary King
            • Feb 2002

thx for all the excellent advice, guys !!

smachol: lol yep, I'm just trying to figure everything out here before I go through with it

eva2000: thx for the excellent insight, it will definitely help me out here BTW, do you mind giving me the URL for your forums ?? I'd like to check it out, if that's alright

steven: yep, I've thought about that for awhile already, and as you might've guessed, no, I DON'T have much experience in handling my own server... care to give me a few leads ??

walter: 2,500 isnt very much in the first week of the grand opening of a forum.. especially when you know how to promote it

I hope some more ppl will be able to help me out on my quest to success lol

Comment

• George L
              Former vBulletin Support
              • May 2000
              • 3.8.x

my forums http://animeboards.com/index.php?s=
              :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
              :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
              :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• Gary King
                • Feb 2002

Most users ever online was 939 on 26-02-2002 at 12:13 AM.

DAMN !! that's probably the most i've ever seen !! I'm a member at another board that has over 100,000 members, and their highest is only 850 !! must cost you alot lol

Comment

• jmd
                  • Jan 2002

Nice board eva. I can only dream of one that active lol

Hell of allot of forums though lol

Cheers
                  PLEASE VISIT US HERE. THANKS IN ADVANCE

Comment

• Gary King
                    • Feb 2002

Originally posted by jmd

Nice board eva. I can only dream of one that active lol

Hell of allot of forums though lol

Cheers
                    i figure it all depends on the topic of the board to decide whether it'll be extremely active or not.. or patience, as well

and yep, sure have alot of forums.. but a wider variety of things to talk about

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...