Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

i have been very satisfied with VO. i was on a dedi with them for a year. now i'm on a shared V500 account to save money.

hi jen

Comment

• missorator

Heya Jake! The chicks miss ya, big guy

I will admit that they were quick with response times. I just wasn't thrilled with the whole.....well forget it, you know the story. No need to rehash it.

Jen

Comment

• Jake Bunce
        • Dec 2000
        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by missorator
        Heya Jake! The chicks miss ya, big guy
        *me blushes*

i still owe you guys a pic of me

Comment

• Erwin
          • Jan 2002

I have decided not to go with vbulletinhosting.com - their email response has been quite slow - and as ventures online wants me off their server, I have to set up a new server quick.

I have decided to try rack9 - I will give a review about them once I am set up.

Comment

• Gary King
            • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Erwin
            I have decided not to go with vbulletinhosting.com - their email response has been quite slow - and as ventures online wants me off their server, I have to set up a new server quick.

I have decided to try rack9 - I will give a review about them once I am set up.
            Sounds good to me

Comment

• Erwin
              • Jan 2002

I am still transferring my database and installing it. Just my database alone is close to 700 MB with over 8 million entries to index!!! It's taken over 12 hours to do this... so far rack9 has been excellent in support, and they reply my emails at any time of the day within 5-10 minutes.

So far so good...

The only problem is that they don't provide static IPs so you have to host your domains with their nameservers, which is something I don't really like, but since you can't beat the price, I am going to see how it goes...

Comment

• missorator

Can you pay extra and get a static IP?

Comment

• Erwin
                  • Jan 2002

I didn't ask. I changed my DNS nameservers over to theirs.

The problem with using their nameservers is that your site goes offline for 24-48 hours.

Comment

• missorator

My host didn't offer it either. I asked and was told it would be $1 more a month which I gladly paid for the reason you stated

Comment

• Erwin
                      • Jan 2002

Well, all I am waiting for now is for the DNS to propagate.

On the topic of vbulletinhosting, I hope they realize that support and service is one of the most important aspects of hosting. That's what I look for.

Comment

• steven
                        • Jun 2000

I don't understand why your board will ever be offline during a transfer. I have transferred countless vbulletins some moving to new hosts, etc and have had zero downtime. Also what does a static IP have to do with anything. The only difference is that your forums will be http://IP_address/~username/forums or something along those lines. Your site should NEVER be down during this transfer. Also, if you have ssh access to both servers, you should be done transferring the db in about 15 minutes.

Let me know if you want help.

-Steven

Comment

• Erwin
                          • Jan 2002

Originally posted by steven
                          I don't understand why your board will ever be offline during a transfer. I have transferred countless vbulletins some moving to new hosts, etc and have had zero downtime. Also what does a static IP have to do with anything. The only difference is that your forums will be http://IP_address/~username/forums or something along those lines. Your site should NEVER be down during this transfer.
                          Well, with rack9, they give you a strange sub-directory (not a subdomain or IP that I can CNAME or A to). Because a lot of my URLs in the site are coded with the URL of my site, a lot of the images and links did not work using the sub-directory. Also, the cookies were not working as well since I set the cookies for the domain of my site.

In the meantime, because I had to change nameservers, my site was offline for around 48 hours while the DNS info propagated. If I was given an IP address, or even a subdomain even, I could have kept my current nameservers, and just pointed my domain to the IP using A, or subdomain with CNAME, and there would be no downtime.

Also, if you have ssh access to both servers, you should be done transferring the db in about 15 minutes.

Let me know if you want help.

-Steven
                          Really? It took us over 12 hours. The tech guy at rack9 said that my db was over 500 MB so he had trouble with SSH and with phpmyadmin so we had to go through the vb cp backup for him to d/l it to his computer, and then he had to upload it, and then he had to reindex the database. Apparently my searchindex table has over 17 million entries.

Anyway, everything is up and running. Not at full capacity yet in terms of members online (my max is 135, and we are sitting at 70). Some members still can't get on, presumably because their ISP hasn't updated their DNS info yet. So far rack9 has been good in their support and speed. Still some minor issues, but we are working on those.

Comment

• steven
                            • Jun 2000

Erwin,
                            Glad to see that you are all fixed up, however I worry about Racknine and their knowledge regarding this subject matter. They should know how to ssh do a dump, ftp the dump to the account on their server, and import the .sql file. Phpmyadmin can cause some problems with a db that big. In any event this process could have taken 15-20 minutes, and you should have had 0 downtime. It is odd that they did not give you an IP to upload to. What control panel are you using?

-Steven

Comment

• Erwin
                              • Jan 2002

I don't believe rack9 has much experience with vb at all. But so far they are managing. I guess I am like a "test" case for them.

I am using Ensim. One thing I miss is the ability to set up my own cron jobs. At the moment I need to ask them to do it for me.

Comment

• Erwin
                                • Jan 2002

Aaargghhh... problems.

1) They set their server to reboot the mysql when the server load gets too high - I have had over 80 error emails today of "mysql no connections found".

2) My domain name has been offline twice today - at the moment my site has been offline for a while now.

3) No one is answering my emails.

4) My cronjob is not working. I wish I can set it up myself.

I hope things improve...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...