How much power do I need in a dedicate server?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tamarian
    • Oct 2000
    • 1.1.x

How much power do I need in a dedicate server?

I've found some reasonable dedicate packages at $200 a month with minimal power.

Features such as 500Mhz pentim III, with 128 Meg ram on a Red Hat box.

Will this be adequate to run vB smoothly and fast at peak hours with 300 concurrent users max, and an average of 3 million page views a month?
    vB Drupal Community Plumbing | vB Survey | vBusy | vB Spell | vBouncer
  • aaronx88
    • Feb 2001

That would be an expensive package i would say ..... which company was that? I would like to look at their package and recommend you some other company.

Comment

• tamarian
      • Oct 2000
      • 1.1.x

Recommedations are welcome, but I'd like to know first how much power is necessary for this load, before I begin to shop.
      vB Drupal Community Plumbing | vB Survey | vBusy | vB Spell | vBouncer

Comment

• aaronx88
        • Feb 2001

I would say NO. I would say 800mhz with 768MB of ram would be just nice.

I knew of a board with 250 ++ online user MAX and it is running on Pentium 3 1 ghz with 512 MB of ram. As the rule of thumb, RAM will speed a lot of things up And ask Eva for the optimum config of MySQL, a wrong config can put your server in hell

Comment

• George L
          Former vBulletin Support
          • May 2000
          • 3.8.x

Re: How much power do I need in a dedicate server?

Originally posted by tamarian
          I've found some reasonable dedicate packages at $200 a month with minimal power.

Features such as 500Mhz pentim III, with 128 Meg ram on a Red Hat box.

Will this be adequate to run vB smoothly and fast at peak hours with 300 concurrent users max, and an average of 3 million page views a month?
          for 300 concurrent users you need a well configured and optimised

single Pentium 3, 1ghz better if you can get a tualatin P3 with 512k L2 cache
          1 to 1.5gb ram
          2x scsi 10,000 rpm hdd (1 for web/os files and 1 just for mysql data files)
          runing 2.4.x kernel
          php 4.1.2 + php accelerator
          mysql 3.23.49a

that would be a tight squeeze if you plan for your vB growth

you'd be looking at dual p3 1ghz and above for a more comfortable ride and growth
          :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
          :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
          :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• Jake Bunce
            • Dec 2000
            • 3.6.x

eva, what's your opinion of pentium 4s for web hosting? you can get a 1.6gig northwood w/ 512K cache for like $110 online right now. any opinions on RAMBUS tech? i'm just curious.

Comment

• George L
              Former vBulletin Support
              • May 2000
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Jakeman
              eva, what's your opinion of pentium 4s for web hosting? you can get a 1.6gig northwood w/ 512K cache for like $110 online right now. any opinions on RAMBUS tech? i'm just curious.
              from what i read of P4s for web server = they sux

i haven't personally experienced P4s for web server or desktops..

anyway in less than 2 weeks both Intel and AMD have price cuts on their cpus and XP box retail specials
              :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
              :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
              :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• Hooper
                • Apr 2001
                • 3.5.x

Pentium 4's do suck. Stay with 3's or Athlon MP's.

Comment

• Joshua Clinard
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2001
                  • 3.0.0 Gamma

Why do pentium 4's suck? I just bought one.

Comment

• Lorddraco98
                    • Nov 2001
                    • 3.5.x

P4's are best for graphics and video editing etc. beacuse of the way they transfer large datablocks very quickly. But in a server environment they don't perform as well( I have multiple Athatlon and P4 servers, so I've done tests) As mentioned before, stick with a P3 or definately an Athatlon MP. If you need more info about this lmk!
                    -Draco
                    The Digital Sector Forums

Comment

• Steve_S
                      • Aug 2000

Ditto to what all the "heavy iron" geeks have said in this thread.

The next BIG issue you need to carefully consider when you shop is your bandwidth allowance and consumption.

I'm going to guess at your consumtion: 200 gigs a month

Since I don't have any first hand experience at this level it's an educated guess Others can help pin it down for you.

Finally, your back up procedure is? Those little dumps can get really big. Were talking gigs so where will you put the back up and how will you get it? Tape, Raid, rsync, another box in a different data center, a very long download when you are sleeping. </joke>

HTH
                      Have a great day :)
                      http://www.StopScum.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...