X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ashy
    • Sep 2001

Best host for a large forum, 1tb+ bandwidth, 12gb db, 6m posts

Site http://qlocal.co.uk

Uk traffic as covers every town (650) in the UK but mainly the town southport ie http://qlocal.co.uk/southport like a local news site plus forums local info etc..

1-1.5TB bandwidth a month

Currently on Rackspace but costing me £1200 pm ($1500pm). Was set up with when big business ideas but that is now history. Just need to manage costs. Existing server has been running some 7 years now.

Running VB 4.0.6 but heavily customised for town processes so hard to upgrade, two programmers who did this left years ago
    CPU Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU L5520 @ 2.27GHz (16 core(s)) + 48gig ram
    Version Plesk Onyx v17.0.17_build1700161028.14 os_RedHat el6
    OS Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 6.10 (Santiago)
    Key number PLSK.02145637.0072
    VB stats
    12gb database, could be reduced by lot of pruning as 10 years+ postings on there
    18gb attachments in file system
    5m threads
    6m posts
    (yes I could prune a lot of threads and posts but do they clear associated attachments as well?)

Guessing I need a dedicated server, have to install likes of memcache . Certainly had performance issues in the pst and had to tweak mysql settings and employ memcache.

APPRECIATE any comments please, I've got two months to move this unless rackspace drastically reduce their costs, unlikely.

• Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

You will want a scaleable cloud service like Amazon Web Services or Digital Ocean. You might even be able to save money with the cloud offering from Rackspace. You may need more expertise but you can create an environment that suits your needs.

As an example of what you can save over a dedicated server, a mid-range package from Digital Ocean will cost you ~$80/month. That has 6 virtual CPUs, 16 GB of RAM, 320 GB of SSD storage and 6 TB of bandwidth per month. You'll lose Plesk but if you can learn the command line, you'll gain more control.

Amazon Web Services offers reliable, scalable, and inexpensive cloud computing services. Free to join, pay only for what you use.

Build new revenue streams, increase efficiency & deliver the future with powerful cloud solutions. Have the industry-leading experts by your side.

Deleting old content should delete the attachments associated with it (whether in the database or filesystem).
    Last edited by Wayne Luke; Tue 20 Nov '18, 9:05am.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• ashy
      • Sep 2001

Thanks Wayne. Would 16gb of ram be enough?

Comment

• Mattwhf
        • May 2016
        • 4.2.x

How many visitors do you have on the forum?

I would recommend a decent dedicated server 32 GB RAM is enough for your forum to run without any problems.

Here are some dedicated server providers that you can check https://forumweb.hosting/marketplace/ and see who is the best for you.

I am having a dedicated server 32 GB of RAM and it is running for around 30 websites, I think you will need a same one to work best for your forum.

Good luck!
        Last edited by Mattwhf; Thu 9 May '19, 5:25pm.
        Web Hosting Forum - Learn web hosting and offering your web hosting plans for free!
        Tranh phong cảnh, tranh nghệ thuật đẹp, bếp từ nhập khẩu chất lượng cao!

Comment

• In Omnibus
          In Omnibus commented
          Editing a comment
          And I'd recommend you stop spamming your link here since you are not running a vBulletin forum.

• Mattwhf
          Mattwhf commented
          Editing a comment
          @In Omnibus
          I don't spam, I only recommend the OP some web hosting providers that he can make references or find a good hosting for him.

• In Omnibus
          In Omnibus commented
          Editing a comment
          Right. You're also responding to a post that is six months old. That's just slightly curious. You post the same link the to same forum that sells products and services that you've been posting for as long as I can remember. It's not a vBulletin site or forum and it's not vBulletin related so you're spamming. This site isn't here to promote your non-vBulletin website. Your spam is no more valuable than any other spam. I also find it odd you're bumping so many other old threads but that's an issue for the staff here.
      • ashy
        • Sep 2001

Thanks for comments, went with a dedicated server with Ukfast with 32g ram, running great, and thanks for a top vb guy in USA for upgrading to 425 and reprogramming our hacks

Comment