X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mattwhf
    • May 2016
    • 4.2.x

Originally posted by MDawg
    Actually I was just looking at GoDaddy VPS. I'm not a fan of GoDaddy shared servers for vbulletin sites but they have some pretty low prices for VPS:

You can get a 3Gb RAM, 6 core CPU, 90 Gb, unlimited bandwidth, managed VPS, with the cpanel, for $34.99 a month.
    Don't use hosting from Godaddy or Hostgator, even their VPS services, price is expensive while quality is low.

If your budget is $34.99 a month, I would recommend you choose one of 4 these VPS hosting companies.

http://forumweb.hosting/14115-luxin-...live-chat.html
    http://forumweb.hosting/14127-manage...35-month!.html
    http://forumweb.hosting/13847-40-off...-pure-ssd.html
    http://forumweb.hosting/13425-host-c...age-15-mo.html

I am using one for several my sites and it is good. Go with smaller hosting companies, you will have better support because they need new customers for their services

Just my thoughts!
    Web Hosting Forum - Learn web hosting and offering your web hosting plans for free!
    Tranh phong cảnh, tranh nghệ thuật đẹp, bếp từ nhập khẩu chất lượng cao!

Comment

• Maltair
      • Feb 2009

Thanks! I did look into them. The cost of fully managed is not within $35/month for any of those four you list.

The closest would appear to be
      • Managed VPS
      • 30 GB Pure SSD Storage (RAID 10)
      • 1000 GB Transfer
      • 4 GB RAM
      • 4 x vCPU
      • 2 IP Addresses
      • Includes cPanel
      which is 35 sterling a month (or US $44.). Not bad though.

The closer you look, the more they all seem to offer about the same for the same price. The differences in price amount to something missing, or added.

Comment

• Mattwhf
        Mattwhf commented
        Editing a comment
        If you try to search in the hosting marketplace section, I think you even can find out more cheaper ones.
    • glennrocksvb
      Former vBulletin Developer
      • Mar 2011
      • 5.7.X

You may also want to check VPS Dime which has a $7/month (6GB RAM, 4 CPU, 30 GB SSD, 2 TB Transfer, 10 Gbit connection) plan. You could configure it to add cPanel license which costs $15/month so total becomes $22/month.

Buy Cheap VPS with Amazing Performance. 100% Enteprise SSD powered Linux and Windows VPS backed by fanatical support.

I haven't tried them yet but I heard good things about them. Google them up for reviews to see feedback from others.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• Mattwhf
        • May 2016
        • 4.2.x

Thanks! I did look into them. The cost of fully managed is not within $35/month for any of those four you list.

The closest would appear to be
        • Managed VPS
        • 30 GB Pure SSD Storage (RAID 10)
        • 1000 GB Transfer
        • 4 GB RAM
        • 4 x vCPU
        • 2 IP Addresses
        • Includes cPanel
        which is 35 sterling a month (or US $44.). Not bad though.

The closer you look, the more they all seem to offer about the same for the same price. The differences in price amount to something missing, or added.
        I am sure if you contact one of them then you can have big discounts hence you will have lower price which fits your budget.
        Web Hosting Forum - Learn web hosting and offering your web hosting plans for free!

Comment

• Maltair
          • Feb 2009

What is the current consensus on a good managed VPS with cpanel...my Hostgator hosting jumps from 29.95 including cpanel to something 89.95 per month with cpanel when the three year prepaid ends this Fall 2019.

If stay with Hostgator really the only option would be their least expensive Dedicated Server at a discounted 119.95 per month prepaid for 3 years. I mean...why would I pay 89.95 for a Snappy 2000 VPS when I could get a dedicated for only 20 more a month.

I was also looking at this
          Buy VPS hosting to boost your online project’s performance. Experience powerful servers with NVMe SSD storage, AMD EPYC processors, and more.

and would consider their top VPS plan @ 29.95 per month with cpanel
          • VCPU
          • MEMORY
          • STORAGE
          • GEEKBENCH SCORE
          • BANDWIDTH
          • 8 vCPU
          • 8 GB
          • 160 GB
          • 8000 GB
          I have to look into it more, not sure yet if this Hostinger VPS is managed. It is billed as "semi-managed."

The Hostgator VPS is fully managed, but honestly when it came to optimizing the server for vbulletin, I was pretty much on my own there. I assume semi managed would still help with updating PhP, optimizing mySQL databases etc.
          Last edited by Maltair; Wed 15 May '19, 9:57pm.

Comment

• In Omnibus
            • Apr 2010

What is the current consensus on a good managed VPS with cpanel...
            If you want a company that gets it right the first time use InMotion.

VPS Hosting is a Virtual Private Server environment with dedicated resources for RAM & CPU on a High-Availability server with 99.99% uptime.

And, unlike some people here, I'm not making a cent promoting them. I just know they work from personal experience on dozens of sites.

Comment

• Maltair
              • Feb 2009

Thanks! I am communicating with inmotionhosting today. One issue I see is how many years I may prepay, and how substantially the price jumps at the end of the prepay period. That is part of why I am leaving Hostgator. Inmotionhosting seems to offer only max two years prepay and then for example their VPS-2000HA-S would then jump from 47.39 to 79.99 Also, this is a 2-4 core CPU only, not really that substantial, just a minor step up from the Snappy 2000 I have now as far as CPU, however the 6Gb RAM (versus the 2GB at Snappy 2000 Hostgator) is much better.

I do like that inmotionhosting will install mySQL 8 for me if requested. At Hostgator they won't go above 5.7.26

Another option I am considering is the semi-managed VPS at Hostinger, https://www.hostinger.com/vps-hosting their top VPS is only 29.95 per month and has an 8 core CPU and 8 Gb RAM. This is their introduction price but I think Hostinger will allow longer periods of prepay than just 2 years, to lock in that price.

Does anyone know the difference between semi-managed and fully-managed VPS, at least, I mean for OUR purposes of what we would need/want done over time for a vbulletin forum?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                • Aug 2000

On a fully-managed solution, the hosting provider will update and provide support for the underlying software. This would be the OS, Web Server, PHP, and MySQL. And in InMotion's case, cPanel/WHM. On unmanaged servers, you're responsible for all of this and any associated licenses. Semi-Managed would be somewhere in between those two.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• glennrocksvb
                  • Mar 2011
                  • 5.7.X

Another option I am considering is the semi-managed VPS at Hostinger, https://www.hostinger.com/vps-hosting their top VPS is only 29.95 per month and has an 8 core CPU and 8 Gb RAM. This is their introduction price but I think Hostinger will allow longer periods of prepay than just 2 years, to lock in that price.

Does anyone know the difference between semi-managed and fully-managed VPS, at least, I mean for OUR purposes of what we would need/want done over time for a vbulletin forum?
                  From their FAQ which is just at the bottom of the page you linked to.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	299
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	4415323

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• Maltair
                    • Feb 2009

Hi Glenn, yes I read that, but I am just wondering, what it really MEANS, I mean over the course of running a vbulletin forum will the sort of hosting help I'd need fall under fully managed needs or would semi managed suffice?

For example Hostgator is fully managed, but when it came down to it they didn't help with optimization of my forums, and anything that had to do with coding they backed off on examining too. On the other hand, for example, when I had speed issues with mySQL, Hostgator was able to update tables from myISAM to InnoDb.

I have a shared hosting account at Hostinger I use just for simple sites (no forums) and over there their tech support people are willing to look at ANYthing, I mean stuff that has nothing to do with hosting if the guy you are chatting with (available 7/24) knows something about it, he is willing to offer advice. But of course advice isn't always the same thing as action, and sometimes you need or want your host to go in and do something, not just advise you on how/what to do.
                    Last edited by Maltair; Thu 16 May '19, 4:32pm.

Comment

• glennrocksvb
                      • Mar 2011
                      • 5.7.X

Maybe just ask them what it really means? They are the only ones who can speak for what extent they are willing to help their customers with.

But I doubt any host (not just them) will be willing to help beyond hosting such as coding and willing to advise and do it for you. Unless they officially offer that kind of services and they'll get paid for it.

Comment

• Maltair
                        • Feb 2009

Questions I asked of Hostinger, and their responses. Hostinger provides "semi managed" VPS, with cpanel installed:
                        Choose Hostinger and make the perfect site. From Shared Hosting and Domains to VPS and Cloud plans. We have all you need for online success.

Let's say I bought this one from you:

8 vCPU

8 GB

160 GB

8000 GB

SAVE 77%$ 129.95 /mo$ 29.95 /mo

1) Could I prepay for five years x 29.95 = $1797. or maybe you could do a better price for five years? Or are you saying that maximum prepay is four years? four years x 29.95 = $1437.60
                        The longest period you can buy is 4 years, though you will be able to renew for one extra year right after the purchase if you'd like

2) What really does it MEAN "semi managed"?
                        This means that any configuration or development has to be done completely from your end. We would provide support for any server side issues.

A) Let's say I wanted you to go into my mySQL and have you change the tables from myISAM to InnoDB? Would you do that for me?
                        That would have to be done from your end, though if you provide all the details, we could do that as well.

B) Upgrade the PhP, is that something you could do?
                        PHP version could be changed depending on what Operating System or control panel you decide to use. It is completely possible

C) Upgrade the mySQL?

Which , QUESTION, is mySQL 8.0 available for me under your VPS?
                        This can be upgraded or changed from your end completely as well. VPS services can be configured however you'd like.

D) What if some optimization issue comes up, would you be able to help with that?
                        Optimization would need to be done completely from your end.

E) What if say mySQL /tmp directory filled up, would you empty it for me?
                        Yes, that would be possible to help out with

F) What if I want to increase the sort_buffer_size, would you do that for me?
                        That would be a development issue and would have to be done from your end.

G) Debugging, for example, READ issues with mySQL tables?
                        Any development as mentioned, would need to be looked into from your side.

H) Do your VPS run anything like memcached?
                        At the moment, memcached is not installed on our servers.

3) How does the free https;// work for your VPS, because I now have all my sites https:// free at Hostgator.
                        You could set up any sort of SSL for your website and it would work with https like a charm

4) May I get Centos 7? I assume this is a linux server, correct?
                        Yes. And yes.

5) What else can you tell me to explain what the difference between fully managed and semi managed VPS?
                        Fully managed means we could look into any errors you get on your website itself. VPS services themselves are unmanaged, which means any development or error regarding to your websites would need to be looked into from your end. We are more than welcome to help you out with any tutorials though, so you can still feel free to reach out to us at any point in time!
                        Last edited by Maltair; Sat 18 May '19, 9:33am.

Comment

• Mattwhf
                          • May 2016
                          • 4.2.x

If you are not sure about the service you will use, you can ask them for free trial, there are more providers already give you 15 days free trial to use their hosting. Or you can buy first month to check and see if it works for your websites/ forums.

Hope that helped.

Comment

• Maltair
                            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by In Omnibus

If you want a company that gets it right the first time use InMotion.

VPS Hosting is a Virtual Private Server environment with dedicated resources for RAM & CPU on a High-Availability server with 99.99% uptime.

And, unlike some people here, I'm not making a cent promoting them. I just know they work from personal experience on dozens of sites.
                            Was considering them, but I'm reading almost universal bad reviews of their current service
                            If you’re a small business or personal website owner, our InMotion Hosting review may be helpful. Learn about the host’s features, pricing, and uptime.

Comment

• In Omnibus
                              • Apr 2010

Was considering them, but I'm reading almost universal bad reviews of their current service
                              https://hostingfacts.com/hosting-reviews/inmotion/
                              Yes, but that review company has BlueHost as #1 and GoDaddy as #5. BlueHost is owned by HostGator. I think you know how their hosting service performs.

Here's their rankings: https://hostingfacts.com/

It also seems their reviews are for entry level shared hosting.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...