Suggestions for moving up beyond a shared server, to cloud, VPS or dedicated

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maltair
    • Feb 2009

Suggestions for moving up beyond a shared server, to cloud, VPS or dedicated

vb 5.2.4 forum running currently on a Hostgator shared server (baby plan).

I'm getting gangs of database errors (MySQL server has gone away),

and also at least the messenger on my forum is very slow:

my forum runs okay usually.

vbulletin finally analyzed and came back with: "Looking at the error_log in your forums directory, the errors just appear to be a resource limitation is being hit. I've created a JIRA to handle this better. We cannot eliminate the resource limitations. It doesn't even have to be your site causing these database errors. If another site on the shared server uses the resources on MySQL, you have to wait and it can result in these errors. There could be 500, 800, 1000 sites on a single shared server."

I was looking into cloud at hostgator. Or VPS. But hostgator tech support said:

"Switching to a Cloud package would generally not assist as these are still shared hosting accounts which are shared with other users. The only way to truly ensure that other users will not have any effect on your website is to get a dedicated server as VPS are not protected from these issues either as you are still on a server with more then one customer on it. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns."

That's quite a jump though - from a shared server costing a few bucks a month to a dedicated. At hostgator the cheapest dedicated ends up at 179 per month after the introductory price. I suppose I can find a dedicated elsewhere that lands after introductory price at around 79 per month, maybe 69. I just find it hard to believe that I need to go from shared all the way to dedicated and that neither cloud nor VPS will solve the issue.

As noted, the main thing I find, other than the database errors, is that my messaging system is very slow.

I'm asking for input/suggestions from other vbulletin users as to whether cloud or VPS is working for them, with decent traffic. I'm currently reaching 10,000 per month unique visitors and I suppose I'll be going up from there. I have anywhere from 30 - 150 visitors logged on at a time it seems, and I assume some of those are just search engine bots. Those levels don't seem all that high to me.
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

Hosts gator are correct....."cloud" when spoken of in terms of hosting packages is no different to shared hosting. You do need a VPS really.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Maltair
      • Feb 2009

Well what VPS are people using? The ones at Hostgator start off cheap but are quite expensive later.

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

Look at the spec offered and compare it to what you currently have. Even if it's similar, you should see improvements from it being segmented rather than pooled.

A good host should be able to spin one up running a copy of your live site, so you can see how it runs.

They should also allow you start low and flex up easily.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------

Comment

• Maltair
          • Feb 2009

Well as I posted elsewhere, the least expensive hostgator VPS currently offered is their Snappy 2000 which while it starts off at 19.95 jumps to 89.95 per month after introductory period, which is pretty high. (Especially compared with the 358.20 for three years or 9.95 per mo I am paying now for baby shared plan.)

One thing though - I am paid through 2019 at Hostgator on that baby shared hosting plan. So it might make sense to try their Snappy 2000 VPS and see if it works, and at least get it for a year and apply my credit at the baby towards it, if they will allow that. Also hostgator has a money back guarantee so if I try VPS and have no benefit, I could just cancel and switch back.

Comment

• Maltair
            • Feb 2009

Update, worked out a deal with hostgator where they allowed me to pre-pay three years for the Snappy 2000 VPS - this will be at 19.95 per month plus 10 per month for linux cpanel, with full credit for what was left on the baby shared plan. I'll be upgrading the mySQL on the new VPS to at least 5.6

If the new VPS doesn't solve the issue I can get a full refund, and I have 45 days to do this.

Comment

• Mattwhf
              • May 2016
              • 4.2.x

Originally posted by MDawg
              I'm asking for input/suggestions from other vbulletin users as to whether cloud or VPS is working for them, with decent traffic. I'm currently reaching 10,000 per month unique visitors and I suppose I'll be going up from there. I have anywhere from 30 - 150 visitors logged on at a time it seems, and I assume some of those are just search engine bots. Those levels don't seem all that high to me.
              Your traffic is high and you need a VPS at lest or a cloud hosting package for your forum/sites

I would recommend you read benchmarks of these top hosting companies
              http://forumweb.hosting/13131-benchm...ate-07-16.html

and don't go with Hostgator, its just charging you more money for web hosting packages and low support.

I hope you can choose a good one for your forum.

Other than that, you can have a look on these VPS companies
              If you are looking for some sweet deals on VPS's then you have come to the right place! Find the best deals, from the best VPS providers!

Hope it helps!
              Web Hosting Forum - Learn web hosting and offering your web hosting plans for free!
              Tranh phong cảnh, tranh nghệ thuật đẹp, bếp từ nhập khẩu chất lượng cao!

Comment

• Maltair
                • Feb 2009

Thanks.

I am with the Snappy 2000 at Hostgator, and after some growing pains seems good, so I will be sticking with it. Def. faster than the shared plan I was on. However after the three year total 29.95 per mo w/ cpanel runs out, I will need to change because after three years the price will jump to 109.95 ! per month.

Hostgator probably isn't the best but after all the research I did I couldn't find any comparable managed VPS w/ cpanel for less than the thirty a month.

Snappy 2000 VPS is:
                • 2 GB RAM
                • 2 Cores CPU
                • 120 GB Disk Space
                • 1.5 TB Bandwidth
                I ran the bench.php file and got this:

-------------------------------------- |
                PHP BENCHMARK SCRIPT
                | --------------------------------------
                Start : 2016-11-07 05:57:47
                Server : [email protected]
                PHP version : 7.0.12
                Platform : Linux
                --------------------------------------
                test_ifelse : 0.401 sec.
                test_loops : 0.602 sec.
                test_stringmanipulation : 0.710 sec.
                test_math : 0.747 sec.
                Total time: : 2.46 sec.

Then did it again, got this:

| PHP BENCHMARK SCRIPT |
                Start : 2016-11-07 06:06:40
                Server : [email protected]
                PHP version : 7.0.12
                Platform : Linux
                test_ifelse : 0.387 sec.
                test_loops : 0.561 sec.
                test_stringmanipulation : 0.704 sec.
                test_math : 0.490 sec.
                Total time: : 2.142 sec.
                Last edited by Maltair; Sun 6 Nov '16, 9:13pm.

Comment

• Maltair
                  • Feb 2009

Actually I was just looking at GoDaddy VPS. I'm not a fan of GoDaddy shared servers for vbulletin sites but they have some pretty low prices for VPS:

Get a managed VPS Hosting solution from GoDaddy. We offer various packages for Web Pros so check out our Virtual Private Server options today.

You can get a 3Gb RAM, 6 core CPU, 90 Gb, unlimited bandwidth, managed VPS, with the cpanel, for $34.99 a month.

Comment

• Mark.B
                    vBulletin Support
                    • Feb 2004
                    • 6.0.X

GoDaddy shared hosting can be flakey with vBulletin, but you should be fine with one of their VPS setups.
                    MARK.B
                    vBulletin Support
                    ------------

Comment

• glennrocksvb
                      Former vBulletin Developer
                      • Mar 2011
                      • 5.7.X

GoDaddy VPS seems to have no SSD storage? You may want to check out https://www.a2hosting.com/vps-hosting/managed
                      • Starting at $32.99 monthly
                      • 4 GB RAM
                      • 75 GB Storage
                      • 2 TB Transfer
                      • 4 vCPUs
                      • Free SSD
                      • Free cPanel Control Panel
                      • Anytime Money Back Guarantee
                      I use A2 Hosting on my site and am satisfied with performance, speed and customer service.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• Maltair
                        • Feb 2009

I assume some of this is outdated?
                        See The Managed VPS Web Hosting Features That Make Us 20X Faster Than The Competition! Managed VPS Hosting Comparison To Find The Best Solution For You!

because it shows PhP 5.6 and mySQL 5.6 as the highest.

Over all, as managed VPS go, seems like a good deal.

Anytime money back guarantee - full within 30 days; prorated after that sounds pretty good (although it's a little illusory - your credit will be at the discounted price applied against the full price, so you might get nothing back at all). For example, say you pay $32.99 per month, for one year. That's $395.88 But the regular price is $49.99 per month. Well, if I understand their anytime money back guarantee - if you cancel after three months, then you'd get credit for nine months paid at $296.91 minus what those three months you had would normally cost - $149.85 minus what you got them for $98.97, for a deduction of $50.88 so a total refund of $246.03, unless I am missing anything. You might want to check on this to see if am understanding them correctly.

Of course, with GoDaddy and Hostgator, they credit you at the full pro-rata rate but in store credit only.

Comment

• glennrocksvb
                          Former vBulletin Developer
                          • Mar 2011
                          • 5.7.X

You could chat with them to ask for the latest PHP version available. I'm on an unmanaged VPS plan and I can install anything on the server.

You could also ask them about money back guarantee. I'm on month to month and I don't know how that prorate system works.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• Set3sh
                            • Jan 2013
                            • 5.2.x

Hello,

Switching from a webhosting package to either a VPS or Dedicated Server is a big responsibility because not only you have to manage your websites but also manage your server (applying updates, filtering attacks, implementing security policies, configuring and tweaking your MySQL, Apache/NginX, PHP and other softwares your websites depending on functioning correctly and the list goes on).

Your websites would definitely benefit from using more resources (Ram, Cpu, Hdd) but remember: with great power comes great responsibility.

Kind regards,
                            George.

Comment

• Maltair
                              • Feb 2009

I've been on managed VPS with Hostgator since early October, since it is managed it hasn't really been much work for me other than ironing out some apparent compatibility issues.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...