Suggestions for moving up beyond a shared server, to cloud, VPS or dedicated

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maltair
    • Feb 2009

I was seriously considering inmotion, in fact I asked them to allow me to prepay five years out to lock in the rate and they are supposed to get back to me on that, but all of those reviews are from regular people who have horrific problems with inmotion looks very scary. The review itself written by hostingfacts is not unfavorable, what is terrible is the feedback from people underneath the review itself.

Another I am considering is i&i ionos
    Fast, reliable VPS hosting for running your custom applications » Unlimited traffic up to 1 Gbit/s ✓ Root access ✓ SSD NVMe storage ✓

Comment

• In Omnibus
      • Apr 2010

Originally posted by MDawg
      I was seriously considering inmotion, in fact I asked them to allow me to prepay five years out to lock in the rate and they are supposed to get back to me on that, but all of those reviews are from regular people who have horrific problems with inmotion looks very scary. The review itself written by hostingfacts is not unfavorable, what is terrible is the feedback from people underneath the review itself.

Another I am considering is i&i ionos
      https://www.ionos.com/servers/vps
      Like anyone else I can only speak to my own experience. I can tell you I've heard quite a few vBulletin customers say they were happy with SiteGround.

Comment

• zappaDPJ
        • Jun 2007

I've had recent experience with InMotion Hosting while working for a client which caused me to research their history. They built a large customer base over a period of around 20 years and were generally viewed in a positive light. However it's clear that is no longer the case. I've had endless problems with them, too many to document. Personally I'd look for another option. trustpilot.com will tell you all you need to know.

Comment

• Maltair
          • Feb 2009

The more you look at the different VPS options, the more you realize that it is basically 6 of one, a half dozen of another i.e. that no one is giving anything away. If one's price is a little less it is because it has cut a certain corner, either in technical specs or software or semi/fully managed service level.

I agree that it comes down to two things:

1. Customer service, i.e. how good they are at delivering what they promise,
          2. and the ability to prepay and get a discounted deal.

Once (2) the prepaid deal expires, and the VPS price jumps, (1) customer service seriously has to be top notch to warrant staying onboard.

Comment

• webmastersun
            • Oct 2013
            • 4.2.X

VPS is better but if you have a good budget then dedicated server is more better than a VPS. OVH or digitalocean may be a good choice if you can manage hosting server by yourself.

Best Internet Marketing Forum & Webmaster Forum for webmasters and Internet Marketers discussing and trading!

Comment

• Maltair
              • Feb 2009

I don't really need a dedicated server a good VPS will suffice. Also, I'd prefer fully managed with cpanel.

Comment

• Maltair
                • Feb 2009

One thing I did find out is that this deal from Hostinger
                Buy VPS hosting to boost your online project’s performance. Experience powerful servers with NVMe SSD storage, AMD EPYC processors, and more.

8 vCPU
                8 GB
                160 GB
                8000 GB
                SAVE 77%
                $ 129.95 /mo full price
                $ 29.95 /mo discounted price
                doesn't include the license for the cpanel. It includes the cpanel but not the license for it, which apparently costs an extra 20. per month
                Find a plan that's right for you. Try cPanel & WHM month-to-month.
                Last edited by Maltair; Thu 4 Jul '19, 9:23pm.

Comment

• In Omnibus
                  In Omnibus commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I wouldn't even waste my time with hosting that doesn't include cPanel. The alternatives are simply not on par.
              • Maltair
                • Feb 2009

Well, it just comes back to what I said, that pricing wise they are all pretty much the same...within a few dollars of each other. With cpanel the Hostinger VPS plan is $49.95 per month (slight discount, maybe 10% below this 49.95 figure is available).
                8 vCPU
                8 GB
                160 GB
                8000 GB

What I do like about Hostinger is they have chat available 24 hours a day for tech support and their techs do not say No - if they have any knowledge about the issue they will try to answer your question, they won't come back with something about how this involves scripting or whatever they will try to help you.

You find one VPS, such as for example
                Fast, reliable VPS hosting for running your custom applications » Unlimited traffic up to 1 Gbit/s ✓ Root access ✓ SSD NVMe storage ✓

and the price seems great especially because it is a fixed price not introductory offer, then you notice it has no cpanel.

Or one VPS has better memory but less cores in the CPU.

Six of one, half dozen of another. No one is giving anything away.
                Last edited by Maltair; Thu 4 Jul '19, 9:34pm.

Comment

• Maltair
                  • Feb 2009

I am little hesitant about the "not" fully managed VPS option at hostinger, basically because when I get database errors at least Hostgator helps me somewhat with them since my current Snappy 2000 VPS with them is fully managed.

Looking to go with Liquid Web, their fully managed VPS with cpanel:
                  https://www.liquidweb.com/products/vps/
                  • 8 vCPU
                  • 150 GB SSD Disk Space
                  • 10 TB Bandwidth
                  • Linux
                  $1176. for two years prepaid.

They will transfer everything for me, including the vbulletin databases, and mirror all the WHM so that I have the latest php for the vb5 sites, and a lower php for the vb4 site, free install of SSL on all sites, pretty much the same as Hostgator just more powerful and a lower price albeit introductory. Will probably need to move again in two years when the price jacks up.

I went ahead and paid month by month for my Snappy 2000 hostgator VPS to extend it just one month only beyond the three years I had prepaid, but it will now expire early November 2019, so I am looking to leave Hostgator soon.

Anyone any experience with Liquid Web?

Comment

• Maltair
                    • Feb 2009

Also looking at

their
                    500 GB SSD
                    4 CPU
                    8 GB
                    unmetered
                    VPS, costs $500. per year where you get 2 months free for each year prepaid, but the Liquid Web one seems stronger with 8 vCPU, at just a bit more per year.

Comment

• Maltair
                      • Feb 2009

I am little hesitant about the "not" fully managed VPS option at hostinger, basically because when I get database errors at least Hostgator helps me somewhat with them since my current Snappy 2000 VPS with them is fully managed.

Looking to go with Liquid Web, their fully managed VPS with cpanel:
                      https://www.liquidweb.com/products/vps/
                      • 8 vCPU
                      • 150 GB SSD Disk Space
                      • 10 TB Bandwidth
                      • Linux
                      $1176. for two years prepaid.

They will transfer everything for me, including the vbulletin databases, and mirror all the WHM so that I have the latest php for the vb5 sites, and a lower php for the vb4 site, free install of SSL on all sites, pretty much the same as Hostgator just more powerful and a lower price albeit introductory. Will probably need to move again in two years when the price jacks up.

I went ahead and paid month by month for my Snappy 2000 hostgator VPS to extend it just one month only beyond the three years I had prepaid, but it will now expire early November 2019, so I am looking to leave Hostgator soon.

Anyone any experience with Liquid Web?
                      I am going with Liquid Web, for now I paid just for one month $72. for the above 8 Gb VPS plan, and will pay for the full two years $1176. if all goes well.

I signed up for the 8Gb VPS at Liquid Web and am awaiting migration.

If they do everything right at their end as far as Migration, all I should have to do is change the IP address for the private nameservers I use, and perhaps also update the A records and DNS glue in the new Liquid Web WHM:
                      https://www.liquidweb.com/kb/setting-up-private-nameservers-in-whmcpanel/

also my host server itself has its own name whatever.com that is the hostname even though it's just a blank website that I use to make the world think that's my server, when actually it is just my hostname (server is mod.myforum.com).

Anyway, let's hope this goes smoothly. Nothing ever seems to when it comes to this sort of thing like vbulletin forums. Inevitable issues.

Comment

• Maltair
                        • Feb 2009

The Liquid Web 8Gb VPS is up and running and everything has been migrated over, which includes multiple vbulletin forums (vb5 and vb4), a WordPress blog, a couple of myBB forums and a couple dozen regular websites which include formmail.php Contact Us forms with ReCaptcha, and multiple sites with both PayPal and cartmanager shopping carts on them.

The issues I had at migration were all so far resolved, and included
                        -vb4 site did not resolve properly (The site looked all wrong. At the top it said #vbtab_whatsnew# instead of whatever it is supposed to say across there. And then at the upper right, the boxes were there but no text.)
                        This was solved with a fresh re-install of the 4.2.5 software and re-running the upgrade script.
                        -WordPress blog was getting an "error establishing database connection" error.
                        This was solved by making the database password to match the config file.
                        -I couldn't access any PW protected folders which included my admincp and core/admincp folders for my forums, so I couldn't login to ACP, I would get a "file not found" error when I tried to go to any PW protected folder.
                        Somehow the old server had the home directories moved to "/home2" which was not needed and the old server had the .htaccess code pointed in the wrong place. Liquid Web updated the new .htaccess code for directories and now am able to access all PW protected folders.

It seems like this new server runs faster than the old Snappy 2000 Hostgator VPS (it should, it has 4X more memory, 4X more cores), but most importantly, so far no database errors.

Comment

• TREKKIE99
                          • Oct 2008

I would recommend that you go to https://www.nocix.net They have pre-configured DEDICATED servers starting at $25.00/mo and customizable DEDICATED servers starting at $34.00/mo You just need to install a control panel (cPanel/WHM, Plesk, etc....)

I use them as well as https://www.wholesaleinternet.net/ for dedicated servers. Been with them for over 6 years now without issue.

Comment

• Maltair
                            • Feb 2009

One thing I have been impressed with is Liquid Web's technical support and tweaking of settings to optimize the database, a well as setting everything properly for everything from email to .htaccess LW has been eager to help with every issue and at no point has passed the buck to vbulletin by claiming that they "are not programmed to respond in that area."

nocix.net sounds tempting but at those prices I doubt it is fully managed or even managed at all? I think it pretty much comes down to, as I have stated before, that no one is giving anything away. If they charge less it is because it is not fully managed or lacking cpanel bundled in. I think it comes down to good customer service, and so far, Liquid Web is delivering.
                            Last edited by Maltair; Sun 24 Nov '19, 1:34pm.

Comment

• joiner42
                              • Aug 2006
                              • 4.1.x

I am with Bigwetfish on a single account server https://bigwetfish.hosting/single-site/

SINGLE ACCOUNT SERVER
                              • 2 Intel Xeon vCPU Cores
                              • 2GB DDR4 RAM
                              • 40GB RAID10 Space
                              • CentOS 7 latest
                              • Includes 60GB Remote Backup Space
                              • Includes Full Management
                              • Includes 24/7 Monitoring
                              With cPanel License - £29.99 per month Without cPanel - £35 per month
                              ORDER
                              Note: If applicable, VAT added to invoice on ordering
                              Have questions not answered here? Chat to us

CHAT NOWSINGLE ACCOUNT SERVERS FEATURES

POWERFUL, FAST SERVERS