Anyway your hosting provider can get your license number?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FrutadelPoder
    • Aug 2016
    • 5.0.x

Anyway your hosting provider can get your license number?

Recently I had an argument with my hosting provider over the phone because they were requesting me to keep buying services in order to enable my site again. Now after almost 30 minutes they finally accepted to refund my money in full but I feel like they will try something with my license.

My question is, can a vbulletin license be compromised during the installation? I mean, I only entered my email, db name, db username and password. Then uploaded all my files to their server and installed the forum. Can they get my license or customer number?
    Im a bit paranoid I know, but any explanation is appreciated, thanks
    Last edited by FrutadelPoder; Fri 12 Aug '16, 5:47pm.
  • IggyP
    • Mar 2012

its a separate ID# included in the files

Comment

• FrutadelPoder
      FrutadelPoder commented
      Editing a comment
      when you install vb they ask customer number, where that info is sent?
  • IggyP
    • Mar 2012

they still cant login your member area and download your lic files or change your registered site url...once you delete the install directory they cant run those scripts anymore...you can do some basic things like changing your vb admin and database pw, but if they can no longer access ftp, im not sure what they could really do?? or what it is you are worried of exactly for that matter...thats more info for you fwiw tho

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
      vBulletin Support
      • Aug 2002
      • 5.7.X

The licence number is visible in the top of almost all vBulletin PHP files so yes, a host can find this.
      Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
      - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• IggyP
        IggyP commented
        Editing a comment
        hmm...i see a license "looking" number up there, but on any site i have worked on before those numbers dont match...confused

• Replicant
        Replicant commented
        Editing a comment
        The license number and the Customer number for installing are two entirely different things.
    widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...