X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amphicar770
    • Mar 2005
    • 3.0.0 Release Candidate 4

My SeoVB.com (Bramcolm) Hosting Nightmare

More than two weeks ago my site went down, along with a second non-forum site. I mean down hard. No cpanel, no email, nothing. On Thursday AM I submitted a ticket and was informed their admin is working on it. Further inquiries said nothing more than "thank you for your patience, our admin is working on the issue". When I pushed them to clarify what "the issue" is, they said a RAID drive failed and they are trying to recover it. That makes no sense since RAID arrays are designed so that if a drive fails, the other take over until it is replaced. At this point I am calling BS and my theory is that they probably got hit with a ransomware hack and all of their data is now an encrypted train wreck.

Anyhow, last Saturday I get a note saying, "they are working on "the issue, what is my userid, and do I happen to have a backup of my files and database". Oh just great, so apparently they do not have backups either even though they advertise weekly backups. I told them that my last local backup is several months old, they said they will get back to me. Meanwhile, if you check their website, they still report no outages although I am now hearing from others experiencing same thing.

I have had outages with other hosts in the past. At least they were very professional and provided frequent updates and details on what was going on even when it was that they had been hacked. In all cases the hosts had backups at the ready so the worst case was loss of maybe 1 week worth of data. Even when screw-up was my doing, hosts always had backups available. The lack of response, even to say sorry we screwed up and have no backups, is inexcusable. Their last response was on the 17th.

I also tried contacting Jarvis Ka who runs Bramcolm (the parent company) to try and get some assistance or at least a response. Nothing. I will post in another message the message threads from my open ticket.

RUN, don't walk away from seoVB.com and Bramcolm. Be careful as they also go by other names such as XFhosting.com but they are all part of Bramcolm. They make me miss even the hosts people complain about like GoDaddy.
  • Mattwhf
    • May 2016
    • 4.2.x

I've never faced a web hosting company like that, you should choose carefully before purchasing a web hosting package.
    But for security problem or backups you should do them by yourself, most of hosting proviers just promise their features without caring how they will do backups or security for your sites
    I would suggest you read benchmarks of top hosting providers VPS here http://forumweb.hosting/13131-benchm...ate-07-16.html to choose a good hosting for you.
    For me, I also chose a good hosting package from recommendations of members on our forum, of course it requires a check before using it for long term.
    Web Hosting Forum - Learn web hosting and offering your web hosting plans for free!
    Tranh phong cảnh, tranh nghệ thuật đẹp, bếp từ nhập khẩu chất lượng cao!

Comment

• amphicar770
      • Mar 2005
      • 3.0.0 Release Candidate 4

I actually heard back from the head of Bramcolm. While issue is still unresolved, at least I finally received the courtesy of an update beyond "our admin is working on it". Here is the latest
      ==================================================
      This is the status update for the failed disk situation.

We have been working with our data center to recover the failed disks on their end. With all the attempts, they informed us that both of the two disks failed and they could not load them to the server. We attempted to work with them to attach the failed disks to another server that we have so that we can try to read any data out. But their management informed us that they could not do that. The last option that they provided to us is to ship the two failed disks to us for us to attempt to read it ourselves. The shipping of the disk is in process and we hope to receive it soon to attempt to recover the data on our site here.

We are doing everything we can to attempt to recover the data and we will keep you posted.

Thanks,
      Jarvis
      President, CEO @ SEOvB.com
      ============================================​

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

To be honest, this is probably best handled on the host's own support forum, if they have any. We cannot become involved in an ongoing issue or dispute. Sorry.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------
        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...