Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could not use Memcached on vB4 by installed 2 caching systems in a VPS?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could not use Memcached on vB4 by installed 2 caching systems in a VPS?

Hello,

I have just moved my web hosting forum to a new VPS and I installed Varnish cache on it

After that, I install Memcached to enable vBulletin use with Memcached but the forum was error immediately.

For previous forums or last time I could use Memcached with my forums but this time it is impossible.

My questions is, does they conflict together? Should I remove Varnish and just only use Memcached? but the problem, my web hosting control supported Varnish.

Please share your advice.

Thanks
    Last edited by Mattwhf; Mon 30th May '16, 4:22am.
    Web Hosting Forum - Learn web hosting and offering your web hosting plans for free!

While properly configured, they should work together. However, we don't recommend using Varnish with vBulletin. We had it installed on our servers and it constantly caused caching errors. Now we bypass vBulletin at all times. Varnish is designed for pages that are more static.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
      While properly configured, they should work together. However, we don't recommend using Varnish with vBulletin. We had it installed on our servers and it constantly caused caching errors. Now we bypass vBulletin at all times. Varnish is designed for pages that are more static.
      Cool, really a great share about experience using Varnish with vBulletin, I will note this to avoid use Varnish on my vBulletin forums

What about OPcache ? Do you know about this caching system? can I use it with memcached for my forum?

Honestly I just want to improve performance for my hosting and speed up vB forums to have better loading speed.

Thanks
      Web Hosting Forum - Learn web hosting and offering your web hosting plans for free!

Comment

OPCache, the built in PHP 5.5 caching? I don't foresee any problems. However, we do not provide explicit support for it in vBulletin.

You've switched vBulletin's caching to memcache in the /includes/config.php? You're storing attachments, avatars, and CSS in the file system?

Wayne Luke

Comment

OPCache, the built in PHP 5.5 caching? I don't foresee any problems. However, we do not provide explicit support for it in vBulletin.

You've switched vBulletin's caching to memcache in the /includes/config.php? You're storing attachments, avatars, and CSS in the file system?
          Of course I enabled memcache in config.php and running it on my forum, also storing attachments, avatars, and CSS in the file system

I saw my forum improved performance since activated these factors. May I will try to install OPcache on my hosting to test it.

Comment

You can switch many tables to INNODB in vBulletin 4.X to get additional performance and reduce table locks. Basically anything without a fulltext index unless your using MySQL 5.6 or higher.

PHP and MySQL versions provide significant performance benefits. PHP 5.5 and MySQL 5.5 significantly improved performance. If vBulletin 4 is updated to support PHP 7,that is another performance boost.

Wayne Luke

Comment

You can switch many tables to INNODB in vBulletin 4.X to get additional performance and reduce table locks. Basically anything without a fulltext index unless your using MySQL 5.6 or higher.
              Could you refer link for the tutorial to switch tables into INNODB in vBulletin?

Basically, I need a guide to optimize table or Mysql to reduce loadings on queries. Install Memcached and Memcached for PHP can improve performance?

Comment

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/blogs/ibxanders/3935816-
                http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/blogs/ibxanders/3935819-
                http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/blogs/ibxanders/3935820-
                http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/blogs/ibxanders/3935821-
                http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/blogs/ibxanders/3935822-

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/...to-innodb.html

Wayne Luke

Comment

Just curious why vB team didn't update these into latest versions of vB forums?

When a user edits or changes data type or codes then the changes can be lose when they update versions and can get errors/conflicts...etc.

Comment

vBulletin 5 installs and updates with INNODB tables. vBulletin 4 is not under full development.

Wayne Luke

Comment

vBulletin 5 installs and updates with INNODB tables. vBulletin 4 is not under full development.
                      Thanks Wayne but it is not fair for users that using vB 3 or vB4 versions. All are paying for same price to use vB cms but getting the support different between vB versions.
                      Last edited by Mattwhf; Sat 2nd Jul '16, 8:45am.

Comment

Your license gives access to vBulletin 5. It isn't really about support level. It is about development and what the versions are designed to support. When vBulletin 3 and 4 were developed, there were a lot of problems with INNODB that the average user couldn't support. As such, it was decided not to use INNODB as the default installer. Now many years later, INNODB is the MySQL default table engine so it is more widely supported.

You can convert most of your tables to INNODB in vBulletin 4 without issue. Most likely in vBulletin 3 as well. However, we haven't tested vBulletin 3 under that scenario.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Working...
                        X