X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I upgrade my hosting to a VPS?

Hello,

On my forum http://forumweb.hosting sometimes it got overload with number of connections to my hosting. I don't know it's real traffic or traffic from spambots or attacks. How can solve this problem?

I was recommended to upgrade to a VPS for better resources but I think I should find out which made my site down with huge traffic sent to in minutes everyday.

Should I upgrade my hosting to a VPS?

Please share your advice. Thanks!
    Web Hosting Forum - Learn web hosting and offering your web hosting plans for free!

Originally posted by Mattwhf View Post
    Hello,

On my forum http://forumweb.hosting sometimes it got overload with number of connections to my hosting. I don't know it's real traffic or traffic from spambots or attacks. How can solve this problem?

I was recommended to upgrade to a VPS for better resources but I think I should find out which made my site down with huge traffic sent to in minutes everyday.

Please share your advice. Thanks!
    I've been using hostwinds.com they are pretty good. I'm not very like tech savy so they can help with all the hard stuff with the server.

Comment

Originally posted by LordOfSpoon View Post

I've been using hostwinds they are pretty good. I'm not very like tech savy so they can help with all the hard stuff with the server.
      Thanks I will check it out

Honestly I could stop spam bots by installing firewall on my VPS

Also I have just moved to a new VPS that I chose from one of hosting providers on my forum and I found that the loading speed for my forum was improved more.

Web Hosting Forum - Learn web hosting and offering your web hosting plans for free!

Comment

Definitely. The biggest reason for moving to VPS is that you have scaling feature. Anytime you experience increase in traffic, you can scale up your server size. Apart from that, a VPS is dedicated mostly with SSD which means faster performance and better security. If you don't have sysadmin skills, then instead of going directly to VPS, like DigitalOcean or Vultr, you can launch a server with them through Cloudways PHP Hosting.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattwhf View Post
          I don't know what your cookie timeout is but your site currently says that it has 2383 users on the site. The majority of these are guest users and probably made up of bots and spiders. You can limit those with a custom robots.txt. However, your site is in the range for a VPS in order to improve performance.

Sorry, didn't notice this was an old thread.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
          vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
          I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

• In Omnibus
            In Omnibus commented
            Editing a comment
            Good advice nevertheless.

With less than 100 current users, and few pics, would it make sense for us to get a cheaper server? Ours is currently $25/mo

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post

I don't know what your cookie timeout is but your site currently says that it has 2383 users on the site. The majority of these are guest users and probably made up of bots and spiders. You can limit those with a custom robots.txt. However, your site is in the range for a VPS in order to improve performance.

Sorry, didn't notice this was an old thread.
            Of course I set cookie timeout is more than 15 minutes but to be honest, our forum traffic is increasing with thousands of clicks from Google daily thus number of users online is pretty big. I think I should not block any spiders out there unless I check if they are making my forum overload. Anyway, a better VPS or a dedicated server will improve my forum speed.
            Thanks for your advice!

Originally posted by VBuser2 View Post
            With less than 100 current users, and few pics, would it make sense for us to get a cheaper server? Ours is currently $25/mo
            What server specs are you using with this budget?
            I am just curious about this.

Comment

Working...
            X