Which is the best webhosting company for hosting forums?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DYTW
    • Dec 2015
    • 5.0.x

Hi All,

I am about to start building a new forum and would like advice on which are the best web hosts for hosting purely forums only. I am currently with Bluehost but I have decided to cancel my subscription because I read online they have severe limits and restrict how many forum members can be log into the forum at any one time. Are there any other web hosts who are more forum friendly?
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

Hello

Look at some of the recent threads in this forum, loads of recommendations from users there.
    vBulletin itself does not recommend any specific host.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• MetroSports82
      • Nov 2002

if you truly want no limits or restrictions on your forum then just diy web hosting

i know vb has always frowned upon self-serve home web hosting for as long as i have known ... but in this day and age of lightning speed uploads (cue google fiber and the like) i actually have found that it is much more feasible to just host my own web server from your home then to pay/rely on anyone for hosting my website/forum ... not to mention the freedom you have with hosting your own site ... again that is just me though ... may not be for everyone

i won't post any links in here on where to go in regards to how to setup your own locally run web hosting server because i don't want to stir up any issues in here .... but i'll just say that google is your friend ... glty

but in response to your question-

truthfully idk, as i have not hosted a website/forum with a web hosting company for many years now ... have always served my pages from my own home web server lol
      Last edited by MetroSports82; Mon 28 Dec '15, 3:41am.

Comment

• DYTW
        • Dec 2015
        • 5.0.x

Originally posted by MetroSports82
        if you truly want no limits or restrictions on your forum then just diy web hosting

i know vb has always frowned upon self-serve home web hosting for as long as i have known ... but in this day and age of lightning speed uploads (cue google fiber and the like) i actually have found that it is much more feasible to just host my own web server from your home then to pay/rely on anyone for hosting my website/forum ... not to mention the freedom you have with hosting your own site ... again that is just me though ... may not be for everyone

i won't post any links in here on where to go in regards to how to setup your own locally run web hosting server because i don't want to stir up any issues in here .... but i'll just say that google is your friend ... glty

but in response to your question-

truthfully idk, as i have not hosted a website/forum with a web hosting company for many years now ... have always served my pages from my own home web server lol
        I went browsing online based on your advice and realized that I will face a host of security and technical issues if I were to self host home web hosting especially if it is a forum that I am trying to build. But thanks for your advice anyway as I get to learn a few new stuff along the way.

Comment

• MetroSports82
          • Nov 2002

no prob ... self hosting a web server is just like anything else imho ... just as long as you keep up with updates and what not just as you would your vbulletin forum you should be fine ... i have been self hosting from home really ever since 2006 (coming up on 10 years) and have seldom encountered tech issues, but for you being it your first time into the hosting world you might be onto something there ... good luck to you either way

honestly, i just like the "freedom" aspect of running my own host than to dish out $$$ and rely on someone else for my website ... i did that as i was starting out years ago and i always hated the fact that i had to pay someone for running my website, and i had to always contact someone for help whenever issues would arise, ugh ...

there are so many advantages to running my own hosting server that it's not even comparable imho ... but again the "freedom" is awesome

and with isp's getting faster and faster upload speeds nowadays (i'll soon be running on google fiber) i think it is much more ideal to run a home server now than it ever was in the past

truthfully running your own hoster isn't actually as "difficult" or as "tedious" as some might come to think

as long as you have a system that you are willing to keep running all day/night you should be good to go

the only thing i would say that isn't under your control while self hosting would be power and connectivity ... however you can buy some power supply (ups) for your machine but if your isp goes down then that's a whole nother issue in of itself i suppose lol ...

however, i have rarely had downtime issues with my isp in the years i have been with them which i guess i can say i have been fortunate

of course not all isp's allow users to run web servers on their home connection, but nowadays most do allow it, thus server ports like 80 for http are now open for most users

anyway, i don't want to get into this too much on here, but just thought to throw it out your way in case you wanted to test the waters of home hosting

good luck to you

Comment

• webmastersun
            • Oct 2013
            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by DYTW
            Hi All,

I am about to start building a new forum and would like advice on which are the best web hosts for hosting purely forums only. I am currently with Bluehost but I have decided to cancel my subscription because I read online they have severe limits and restrict how many forum members can be log into the forum at any one time. Are there any other web hosts who are more forum friendly?
            I think it has an existed threads for this http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...hosting-forums

For hosting forums, you should consider to choose a VPS to run forums on. I think you will feel the different between running a shared and a VPS for a forum
            Best Internet Marketing Forum & Webmaster Forum for webmasters and Internet Marketers discussing and trading!

Comment

• Siavash Avesta
              • Apr 2016

Vey good
              خرید vpn وی پی ان,خرید next vpn,خرید vpn موبایل, دانلود vpn,خرید کریو,خرید kerio,خرید سیسکو,خرید وی پی ان,خرید cisco,بهترین سایت,خرید vpn آیفون,خرید vpn آندروید,خرید kerio,خرید vpn کریو

Comment

• Craig
                • Jan 2008
                • 6.X

Whoever you choose, ask them up front if they meet the requirements of vB.
                adktramping ~ my happy place.

"Whoever said practice makes perfect was an idiot. Humans can't be perfect because we're not machines." ~ Sam Gardner.

Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...