X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chase
    • Apr 2002
    • 3.6.x

Need Reliable Hosting Suggestions

I've been with my current host for almost 7 years now but recently their performance and especially support has been slow and lacking. Down times, slow loading pages, slow support is really taking a toll on me and my forums. It's time I start looking for a more reliable hosting option... but I honestly have no idea where to look. I am hoping some of you have had a lot of success with your hosting providers and will recommend me some options. I cannot deal with more site down times.

My forum: 3.8.7 PL3.... 11k threads, 185k posts, 1200 total users... average 8 members on at a time.

I want a host who has been around for a while

I am on a "Semi-Dedicated Shared Server" aka a glorified shared server

I don't want to pay more than $40/month...

I probably don't need a VPS... I would want a fully managed server because I don't know a thing about server handling. I would consider a dedicated server, if the price was right.

I would provide you with my server specs and what else but I don't know what those are.....

If I need to provide you more details please let me know and I will try to give that to you.

• HappyFrodo
    • Jan 2013

Hi, Chase!
    You want a dedicated server, but they cost much more than VPS and they cost a lot more than $ 40.

If you want, I can recommend to you a good reliable Swiss company Swisshosters. They have both dedicated and cloud servers. All of them are protected from DDoS attacks. Their support is 24/7.

I hope I help you

Comment

• Chase
      • Apr 2002
      • 3.6.x

I am still looking for options out there. Preferably in the Eastern Time Zone so I can get immediate help when needed.

Comment

• alemcherry
        • Jun 2006

Average 8 members online at a time is pretty low. Actually what matters is the number of people online at the peak hours, but I assume even that would be less than 100 or so. Defnitely you should be okay with a normal shared hosting.

Personally I would recommend ASmallOrange ( medium plan should be good enough) or any similar host that doesn't oversell. If you don't mind paying a bit extra, you should take a look at the basic shared hosting package of Liquidweb.
        Hosting Coupons: Hostmonster @ $3.95 and 20% off Mediatemple

Comment

• yogesh
          • May 2005

Unless you have tons of guests browsing the forum, it should easily fit on any basic shared hosting plan. Check MDDHosting, they used to be great when I was using their shared hosting a few years ago.

Comment

• Amaury
            • Mar 2012
            • 4.2.X

Bluehost is pretty good.
            Former vBulletin user

Comment

• HotLink
              • Sep 2010
              • 4.0.x

For shared i`d say you should try HostGator (i had a reseller ac for 3 years with them and i`ve never had a single problem) or if you are looking for a vps i`d say you should take a look at wiredtree.com .
              WEBTMASTER

Comment

• Amaury
                • Mar 2012
                • 4.2.X

Originally posted by HotLink
                For shared i`d say you should try HostGator (i had a reseller ac for 3 years with them and i`ve never had a single problem) or if you are looking for a vps i`d say you should take a look at wiredtree.com .
                HostGator isn't really recommended.
                Former vBulletin user

Comment

• WHUK
                  • Nov 2012
                  • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Chase
                  I've been with my current host for almost 7 years now but recently their performance and especially support has been slow and lacking. Down times, slow loading pages, slow support is really taking a toll on me and my forums. It's time I start looking for a more reliable hosting option... but I honestly have no idea where to look. I am hoping some of you have had a lot of success with your hosting providers and will recommend me some options. I cannot deal with more site down times. My forum: 3.8.7 PL3.... 11k threads, 185k posts, 1200 total users... average 8 members on at a time. I want a host who has been around for a while I am on a "Semi-Dedicated Shared Server" aka a glorified shared server I don't want to pay more than $40/month... I probably don't need a VPS... I would want a fully managed server because I don't know a thing about server handling. I would consider a dedicated server, if the price was right. I would provide you with my server specs and what else but I don't know what those are..... If I need to provide you more details please let me know and I will try to give that to you.
                  Could you please list down the resources that your current server consumes. The stats. would act as pointers to suggest you an appropriate hosting solution, you can then seek for a host that tends to serve the requirements.
                  In a shared environment there are a couple of security systems that are implemented over a server. So it's needs to be checked with the host before signing up. These server side restrictions tend to conflict with certain settings of vBulletin hence resulting in a not so expected performance.

Thanks.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...