• Aug 2008
    • 3.8.x

Entry level hosting - shared vs vps?

Good day all,

I have two options to choose from.

Urljet - shared hosting

Or

Nimbus VPS

Both are approximately the same cost and both are entry level hosting.

Urljet uses cpanel, I'm not sure what nimbus uses as server admin tools.

Any input would be a great help.

Thanks
  • Bounce
    • Feb 2005
    • 4.2.x

Nimbus use plesk, I would highly recommend them, best support I've ever had!

Comment

• betterthanyours
      • May 2012

If you are hosting a new website or a site that does not have many visitors, then paying the entry level £17.50 is quite a lot.

I'd suggest you find a shared hosting provider that isn't fleecing you for your money. There are many good shared hosting providers out there that even a medium vB board will run on fine.
      http://www.unrealkillers.com | unrealtournament 1999 | siege | combogib | bunnytrack | instagib ctf

Comment

• DoDeH1
        • Jan 2008
        • 4.2.X

Remember to check if it fulfils the requirements of vbulletin before buying. Try something that is free to test for a certain amount of time (1 or 2 weeks) in order to make an opinion about it.

Comment

• betterthanyours
          • May 2012

Could you advise how many visitors, members and concurrency on your site please?
          http://www.unrealkillers.com | unrealtournament 1999 | siege | combogib | bunnytrack | instagib ctf

Comment

• Terry2424
            • Aug 2008
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by DoDeH1
            Remember to check if it fulfils the requirements of vbulletin before buying. Try something that is free to test for a certain amount of time (1 or 2 weeks) in order to make an opinion about it.
            Nimbus and URLJet seem to have a lot of positive feedback on these forums. I had a small community hosted with Godaddy and I hear they won't support VB 5 do to their MySQL being out of date.

Comment

• Terry2424
              • Aug 2008
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by betterthanyours
              Could you advise how many visitors, members and concurrency on your site please?
              Site is not active right now. But the content will be somewhat controversial.

It will be more active than my old site which was geared only for rock climbing in a small geographical region. My old host was Godaddy.

Comment

• Terry2424
                • Aug 2008
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Bounce
                Nimbus use plesk, I would highly recommend them, best support I've ever had!
                I sent them an email last night inquiring about database limits but never heard back as of yet. I understand people here speak with Tim, do you have his contact email?

Comment

• DoDeH1
                  • Jan 2008
                  • 4.2.X

Too bad you don't understand Polish. I would recommend www.hostit.pl
                  For 4,8 euro/month you get a virtual server with: 100GB disk space, no yearly transfer limit, mysql data base with no limit, 250MB RAM, no limit for domains, super fast support, 14 days of free test and for 49 euro/year you get SSL certificate from them for RapidSSL with your own IP address.
                  I use them and it's really fast, reliable and amazing support.

Comment

• Terry2424
                    • Aug 2008
                    • 3.8.x

Too bad you don't understand Polish. I would recommend www.hostit.pl
                    For 4,8 euro/month you get a virtual server with: 100GB disk space, no yearly transfer limit, mysql data base with no limit, 250MB RAM, no limit for domains, super fast support, 14 days of free test and for 49 euro/year you get SSL certificate from them for RapidSSL with your own IP address.
                    I use them and it's really fast, reliable and amazing support.
                    I had a quick look at the site. I think Serwer means Server. :-)

Looks like a fantastic deal. If I had a partner that could read and write polish I'd probably lean towards such a host.

Comment

• DoDeH1
                      • Jan 2008
                      • 4.2.X

I can help you with it but for a long term it would be difficult for you due to the fact that the acp is in polish. Let me ask them for the English version of their site.

Comment

• Terry2424
                        • Aug 2008
                        • 3.8.x

I can help you with it but for a long term it would be difficult for you due to the fact that the acp is in polish. Let me ask them for the English version of their site.

Thanks. That would be great. Much appreciated.

Comment

• gnatster
                          • Mar 2009
                          • 3.8.x

I've been a URLJet customer for a few years now and have been very happy. No downtown that I did not cause myself. Great support.
                          Director of Support - Drive Thru Online

sigpic

Comment

• Mark.B
                            vBulletin Support
                            • Feb 2004
                            • 6.0.X

Definitely Nimbus.

100% renewable energy web hosting, 100% UK-based support team, one-game changing platform for WordPress and more. Discover our platform today.

I have deal with Tim there for several years now, my honest view is, you won't find better for vB hosting.
                            Last edited by Mark.B; Thu 8 Nov '12, 11:16am.
                            MARK.B
                            vBulletin Support
                            ------------
                            My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                            My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                              • Aug 2000

As shared providers become more and more restrictive on resources, VPS will give you better control and growth for your site. Now that VPS/Cloud solutions are lowering in price they are among the best solutions available for an entry level site.
                              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...