• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • G.I.JOE*MFA*
    • Jun 2002
    • 4.1.x

iWeb.com - Watch Out!!

simple transaction...

Looking to upgrade one of my websites to a dedicated server. VPS just isn't keeping up anymore

years of good reviews with iWeb.com, ok lets give them a go.

My issue is after a lengthy chat setting up a server for my requirements at an agreeable cost and paying via paypal and approval via phone confirmation, all good to go right? WRONG...

iWeb.com wanted a copy of my driver's license or passport (which in some states has SSN, and passport has SSN) AND a copy of a credit card..

a snap shot of the email I received is attached...

Click image for larger version

Name:	really.png
Views:	1
Size:	540.6 KB
ID:	3724780

REALLY? would you proceed with the request??
  • AlexanderT
    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by G.I.JOE*MFA*
    Yep, I would. I have been with iWeb for many years. For the handful of servers I have with them, I needed to do same thing the first time I signed up (send them copies of the documents you cited). I see it as a way to keep fraudulent people (spammers, hackers, terrorists) out of their network. It's not foolproof (their network isn't 100% clean), but it's better than nothing I would say.

Comment

• beishe8
      • Oct 2005
      • 4.2.X

I would choose another host.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• G.I.JOE*MFA*
        • Jun 2002
        • 4.1.x

Originally posted by AlexanderT
        Yep, I would. I have been with iWeb for many years. For the handful of servers I have with them, I needed to do same thing the first time I signed up (send them copies of the documents you cited). I see it as a way to keep fraudulent people (spammers, hackers, terrorists) out of their network. It's not foolproof (their network isn't 100% clean), but it's better than nothing I would say.
        Can I have your photo ID, driver's license or passport and credit card? _i'm just going to set up a webserver for you...and a few credit cards, a new car! and a credit line at the MGM...

Originally posted by beishe8
        I would choose another host.
        YEP, reported and moved on. NEVER give out your full name, address, credit card number and SSN....

Comment

• warlord0
          • Apr 2012
          • 4.1.x

Not a chance I'd give anyone that kind of detail. It's not like their exposure to risk is great enough. They just turn off your site and you lose more than they do, especially if you've paid up front.

Comment

• AlexanderT
            • Mar 2003

Can I have your photo ID, driver's license or passport and credit card? _i'm just going to set up a webserver for you...and a few credit cards, a new car! and a credit line at the MGM...
            FWIW, it's photo ID in the form of driver's license OR passport. But no, you cannot. Because you are not the company I would be doing business with.

NEVER give out your full name, address, credit card number and SSN....
            Right. Because you can do so much with your credit card if you are not willing to share your "full" name and address for it. SSN? Did anyone say anything about SSN?

If you are so concerned why don't you host your own webserver as you suggested. Only make sure that those people whose bandwidth you are using don't know anything about you.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, since you make it look as if iWeb was doing something that was uncommon, feel free to take a look around:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=881405
            http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1175949
            http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=975743
            http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1057680

Comment

• Zachery
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Jul 2002

We request a copy of someones drivers license, passport, or other valid government photo id for verification reasons.

Comment

• G.I.JOE*MFA*
                • Jun 2002
                • 4.1.x

some states use SSN as a drivers license number...

Comment

• Ace
                  • Apr 2004
                  • 4.2.X

A number of hosts require photo ID to enable SSH access. cPanel even had words to that effect as default on the SSH page.
                  My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                  vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• G.I.JOE*MFA*
                    • Jun 2002
                    • 4.1.x

I'm ok with a photo ID. I'll show a high school year book so long as black and white photo is still cool. o.0

it's that they wanted a driver's license where there are still some states that use SSN as the license number. If they are concerned about paypal scams and want a photo ID, I'm sure one can be produced with ease. But that isn't the problem. it is what information can and does on some occasions come with those IDs. all it takes is a little time and bits of info here and there and the big picture is provided. too late and they scored your info without you knowing. perhaps you are a victim and are oblivious...

credit card number?? there is a very good reason why I used paypal instead of a credit card. You may feel comfortable giving that info across the web. I'm not. to each their own. It's your info.

iweb.com live chat is ok at best. I was put on "hold" a few times during this set-up/transaction. it was a 2 hour process. Yeah real custom ****...and a ton of attention to my server needs. the server they came up with was limp at best.

I have never had a request for photo id for SSH. I've never had a request for a passport. I've never had a request for a credit card number after a successful paypal transaction.

once the deal is done, its wrapped up within minutes, the server is live, ready for my interaction. This request was 2 hours after the transaction and phone confirmation.

So Zachery, speaking on the behalf of vBulletin; vBulletin upholds a phishing scam? What is the point of SSL when vBulletin requests more information that when put together can yield an identity theft? Very little info can be put together where the big picture comes into view. It's the internet and its all free when you put the pieces together.

I'd rather warn others of a hazard then ignore it.
                    Last edited by G.I.JOE*MFA*; Mon 1 Oct '12, 3:07pm.

Comment

• Ace
                      • Apr 2004
                      • 4.2.X

I'm ok with a photo ID. I'll show a high school year book so long as black and white photo is still cool. o.0
                      Well, no, that's not cool, unless you'd be happy with a system where I could grab an old b&w photo of you, impersonate you, and rack up a whole heap of monetary/legal charges in your name.

Basically - it's up to you. Do you want the service they offer? Give them what they want.

Don't want it? Don't. (and probably, don't go besmirching their integrity on public forums. Never a good idea.)
                      My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                      vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• Zachery
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • Jul 2002

So Zachery, speaking on the behalf of vBulletin; vBulletin upholds a phishing scam? What is the point of SSL when vBulletin requests more information that when put together can yield an identity theft? Very little info can be put together where the big picture comes into view. It's the internet and its all free when you put the pieces together.

I'd rather warn others of a hazard then ignore it.
                        The reason we request this information, is generally because we need it to verify someones identity when making an abnormal change to their account and cannot verify themselves normally. This occurs during license transfers, or lost customer numbers/emails.

I don't know why you'd think this is a phishing scam. We already have most of that information anyway when you purchased our software

Comment

• G.I.JOE*MFA*
                          • Jun 2002
                          • 4.1.x

next, we will have to be fingerprinted to open up a new server

wasn't SEO a scam too?

Comment

• Zachery
                            Former vBulletin Support
                            • Jul 2002

I've had to send a photo id to a number of companies to get my SSH access enabled, if I wanted it. Its not just iWeb.com

Comment

• G.I.JOE*MFA*
                              • Jun 2002
                              • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Zachery
                              The reason we request this information, is generally because we need it to verify someones identity when making an abnormal change to their account and cannot verify themselves normally. This occurs during license transfers, or lost customer numbers/emails.

I don't know why you'd think this is a phishing scam. We already have most of that information anyway when you purchased our software
                              new customer, not a license transfer or lost customer info/email.

this was not an abnormal charge. this was a regular transaction. 2 hours later after verification they ask for this info. you have to admit, this is an odd gesture.
                              go to their site, chat with them, and watch it happen. I did it again tonight and received similar results. all good after phone confirmation, IP address verified on the PC and network I was using. same place as the phone they called. paypal legit and still hours later they wanted driver's license or passport AND a credit card number.

if you are afraid of paypal scams, why offer it if paypal isn't worth the worth the SSL?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...